A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,572
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sealants question and help needed with assorted problems  (Read 776 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

craftpunk
« on: June 06, 2004 07:31:50 PM »

I did this decoupage mirror, with Modge Podge, and covered it with an acrylic matte varnish, but some duct tape got stuck to it, and pull it off, paper, modge podge and all.  I need a varnish that will stand up to more wear, that will go well over Modge Podge, and comes in matte instead of gloss.  Any suggestions?

Also, on a totally unrelated note, where would I find magnetic closures, like for handbags? 

And does anyone have a suggestion for finding E600 glue wholesale or in large quanties?  I go through 2 tubes a week at least. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.rebound-designs.com 
Handcrafted Bling
Who am I?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2004 09:29:33 PM »

Hello, Craftpunk.  I have no idea about a varnish.  Maybe try going to your local paint-store/lowes/home depot and ask them.  Let me know what you find out, I'm in the process of painting some old furniture and will need to know, too!

As for magnetic closures, I've seen them in the craft section at Wal-mart.  I think Hobby Lobby has them as well.

Suggestions for E600 glue- look online.  If you are using your glue for your business, make sure you get/have a dealers license.  Sometimes stores, especially local ones, will give you a discount, ranging from 10%-50% off.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004 06:46:03 AM »

Maybe try resin, which is this epoxy-like stuff.  I bought mine at A.C. Moore but haven't tried it out yet.  It looks thicker and sturdier than most varnishes.  I just bought a magnetic purse closure at Hancock Fabrics last night.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bevrockin

How y'all doin, everbuddy?

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004 07:06:58 AM »

I use the Krylon Triple-Thick Glaze, which dries with a nice finish.  I wouldn't say that it's matte, but I used it to seal my wooden box purse, and after some use it doesn't really appear shiny anymore.  I got it for $5.99 for a good sized container at Hobby Lobby.  If you put 2-3 coats of the stuff on, it would protect your decoupage from most anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tompkie
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004 07:07:29 AM »

For sealing all kinds of crafts (esp. papier mache) I have always used water-based polyeurathane (spelling?) that I buy at the hardware store. It comes in a variety of finishes. The only thing to watch out for is overbrushing, which will make the glossy finishes look dull. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Flowers Appear to Float in This Ripple Contraption
Design Concept Envisions Semi-Invisible Structures
Sleep Like a Bird in Nests for Humans
Luxury Jaw-Dropping Pool Proposals
Floating Jellyfish Skyscraper Design Concept
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...