A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,161
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: skull mittens (with tutorial)  (Read 27594 times)
Tags for this thread: mittens , pattern , skull , chart  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rhiandmoi
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005 04:06:11 PM »

When you say 2 needle mittens do you mean that the mittens are knit flat and then seamed? Is the the thumb worked like I cord?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Space Cowgirl

I'm an art kid with a whole lot of Jersey Pride

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005 08:59:31 PM »

these are so cute.  The faux suede is a good idea too =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

art for love
funkyhooker
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005 11:22:54 PM »

I would LOVE to have your pattern.  Your so generous to offer it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist! http://www.wists.com/savagerabbit

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
K E R Exp+ SPM Wood+ Bamboo ++ Steel+++ Baa+++ Syn-- Nov Lux+ @ Stash+++ Scale+ Fin Ent- FI- Int- Tex+ Lace-- Felt++  Flat Circ+ DPN+++ ML-- Swatch-- KIP+++ Blog SNB+++ EZ? FO? WIP3 F-- DK++ ALT Cr X Sw  
-----
tejer
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2006 06:24:47 AM »

I've used Kate Gilbert's 'gifted' pattern with chunky yarn for 2 needle mittens. I like this one because it's with worsted though. The thumb also looks cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hitgirl
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006 07:26:52 AM »

those are great Cheesy the skulls look really nice. I'd also love the pattern Shocked I've always wanted a nice looking 2 needle mitten pattern..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kulka4life
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2006 08:25:06 AM »

Can someone explain what 2-needle knitting is about?

Love those mittens absolutely. I think I'll make ones too. Once you provide the pattern.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

________
mrau?
LACEY
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2006 08:31:08 AM »

please post soon!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tejer
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2006 10:50:13 AM »

Most  mitten and glove patterns are done on double pointed needles (dpns) using 4 or 5 small needles that don't have the 'stop' or 'cap' at one end. These are done on 2 needles and you do have to seam them up. They are probably easier for beginners to knit, however, you do have a seam, whereas with dpns you would not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batslovefruit
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2006 11:28:46 AM »

okay, the pattern for the skulls i got from the pdf file on http://www.helloyarn.com/wp/ which was meant for hats, but i made it smalled to only include the skulls

the back of the mitten, if you want to make your own pattern on knitting graph paper, is below (i drew it up in like 4 seconds in paint, sorry it looks crummy:

Okay, this is my first stab at pattern writing:

Two Needle Mittens

size US 5 needles
a stitch holder (i think mine is 4.5 inches)
worsted weight yarn (i used lions brand, about 4/5 of a ball of that makes a pair) in main color [MC] and contrasting color [CC] (you don't need much of CC)
tapestry needle
a stitch marker

Note: These directions are adapted from Doreen 2 Needle Mittens: Scandinavian Patterns by Nell Armstrong, copyright 1954 that belonged to my great grandmother.

Basically, youll be knitting the mitten flat and then sewing the sides together to enclose it when youre finished. I find it helps to read the directions through first to get an idea of how the pattern will work.

Skills (and abbreviations) youll need to know:

k - knit
p purl
stockinette stitch
increase
k2tog - knit two stitches together (I bet you can guess what p2tog is!)
slip 1, k1, psso - slip the first stitch onto the other needle without knitting it, knit the next stitch, then pass the slipped stitch over (psso) the one you just knit. This is a method of decreasing, similar to casting off for only that one stitch.

Cuff: Cast on 48 stitches in Main Color [MC]. Work in k1, p1 ribbing for 2 inches

Lower Mitten Body and Thumb Gusset: Tie in Contrasting color. Working in stockinette stitch (knit one row, purl one row) begin the mitten pattern youve chosen and work the rest in MC for 6 rows.

To begin the thumb gussets: work in pattern across the 25 stitches that will be the back of the hand part of the mitten, increase one stitch into the next stitch, k2 increase 1 into the next stitch, k19 (the remaining stitches.) Purl across next row, keeping in pattern. Next row: work in pattern across the 25 stitches of the pattern, increase 1 into next stitch, k4, increase 1 into next stitch, knit the remaining stitches. Purl across the next row, keeping in pattern. Continue doing this, working the pattern the first 25 stitches, increasing, and having 2 more stitches between increases on the knit rows until there are 14 stitches between the increases. End with a purl row.

this is more or less what it will look like with the thumb gusset in there.

Thumb Separation: Work in pattern across the 25 stitches, then place those stitches on the stitch holder. Knit 18 stitches and leave them on the needle, then place the remaining 19 stitches on the stitch holder.

Working on the 18 stitches of the thumb in stockinette stitch, cast on 1 stitch at each side of the thumb. Work until it is almost as long as your thumb (around 2 inches.) End in purl

Next row: k1, k2tog. Repeat across the row. Purl row. Next row: k2tog across the row. Cur the yarn leaving a7 inch tail. Thread the tapestry need with the tail and thread it through the remaining stitches on the needle and remove from needle. Pull tight to close the top of the thumb and use the tail to sew the seam of the thumb.

Hand: Take the stitches of the stitch holder, placing the pattern portion on the right needle and the MC palm portion on the left needle. Pick up 4 stitches at the base of the thumb and work across to the end of the row. Purl row. Work in pattern until the 47th row (youll see this on your pattern as the place where the mitten starts to get smaller.)

47th row: Youre knitting the back of the hand portion: k2tog, knit to within two stitches of the side of the pattern, slip 1, k1, psso (Remember to keep in pattern!) Slip a stitch marker onto the needle. K2tog, knit to within last 3 stiches, slip 1, k1, psso, k1.
Next row: purl as usual, keeping in patter.
Repeat these two rows twice more.

On the next purl row, p1, p2tog, purl across to within 2 stitches of marker, p2 tog. Now youre on the back of the hand/patterned part. P2tog and purl across (in pattern) to within 2 stitches of the end, p2tog. Decrease in this way on both the knit and the purl rows until there are 16 stitches left on the needle. Cut a long tail of yarn, and with the tapestry needle thread through the loops of the remaining stitches to secure them.

At this point, youre mitten is off the needles. You can put your hand in it and get a feel for how it will be when you sew it up. For extra warm mittens (and especially if they feel a bit roomy) this would be the time to sew in the fleece lining to the mittens.
Sew up the seams and your mitten is done!

Now theres just one more thing.

The Left Mitten: The left mitten will be worked the same as the right, with one big difference. Instead of starting the pattern on the right side of the flat mitten, youre work across 23 stitches (to the last 25 stitches) and work the pattern on the left. So for the left mitten: cuff is the same. When time to start the pattern, work across 23 stitches in MC and them begin pattern. To start thumb gusset: k19, increase 1 into next stitch, k2, increase 1, pattern on last 25 stitches. Finish left to correspond to the right mitten.

Alright, I hope this made sense...if there's something you don't understand, please ask and i'll try and clear it up ;o) happy knitting!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
LACEY
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2006 10:41:10 AM »

i've begun to knit these babies! when i get a little bit more of the pattern done i'll post!! i'm soo excited!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Get Started Scrapbooking
How to Create Background Paper for Digital Scrapbooking
How to Age a White Card Stock for Scrapbooking
How to Craft a Christmas Gourd Santa
How to Craft a Button Brooch
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...