A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,693
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: skull mittens (with tutorial)  (Read 27270 times)
Tags for this thread: mittens , pattern , skull , chart  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

batslovefruit
« on: December 31, 2005 07:26:47 AM »

i made these two-needle skull mittens with a 1954 2 needle mitten pattern book that belonged to my great-grandmother and the "we call them pirates" hat pattern on helloyarn.com

i used lions brand worsted (it's cheap and durable!) and some faux suede from the home furnishings section of the craft store for the palm grips.

they weren't too hard for my first 2-color knitting experience or my first mittens (knitting 2 needle mittens is ridiculously easy) if anyone wants the mitten pattern feel free to ask.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2006 08:28:32 AM by batslovefruit » THIS ROCKS   Logged
vrt13
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005 08:00:03 AM »

I would love the pattern they are so cute,
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Danyell
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005 08:23:54 AM »

Yes! Please post the pattern Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tejer
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005 08:30:34 AM »

I would like the two needle knitting pattern. I have some Lorna's laces I'm going to make into mittens. I like your pirate skulls though too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeginnerKnitter
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2005 08:33:26 AM »

Those are fabulous! At first glance I didn't notice the pirates, but on closer inspection...those are great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batslovefruit
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2005 08:35:20 AM »

i'll write one up (and put it under tutorials?) tomorrow probably?
i'll give a shout on this thread when i do
i have to go give the mittens to their new owner ;o)

happy new year everyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2005 09:52:42 AM »

those kick mega ass and i would love tosee the pattern
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ohgastonmyhero
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2005 09:55:37 AM »

So much fun!  How difficult would it be to translate the pattern into crochet?  Is that possible?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tada!  My Etsy Shop is now open!

http://ohgastonmyhero.etsy.com
Flannigan
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2005 10:25:30 AM »

oo those are gorgeous - would love the pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fluffyhelen

<3 etsy&craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2005 01:12:53 PM »

Excellent!  Below is the pattern which I used when I made 2 needle mittens.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kwec-2NeedleMittens.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhiandmoi
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2005 04:06:11 PM »

When you say 2 needle mittens do you mean that the mittens are knit flat and then seamed? Is the the thumb worked like I cord?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Space Cowgirl

I'm an art kid with a whole lot of Jersey Pride

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005 08:59:31 PM »

these are so cute.  The faux suede is a good idea too =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

art for love
funkyhooker
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2005 11:22:54 PM »

I would LOVE to have your pattern.  Your so generous to offer it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wist! http://www.wists.com/savagerabbit

-----BEGIN KNITTER'S GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
K E R Exp+ SPM Wood+ Bamboo ++ Steel+++ Baa+++ Syn-- Nov Lux+ @ Stash+++ Scale+ Fin Ent- FI- Int- Tex+ Lace-- Felt++  Flat Circ+ DPN+++ ML-- Swatch-- KIP+++ Blog SNB+++ EZ? FO? WIP3 F-- DK++ ALT Cr X Sw  
-----
tejer
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2006 06:24:47 AM »

I've used Kate Gilbert's 'gifted' pattern with chunky yarn for 2 needle mittens. I like this one because it's with worsted though. The thumb also looks cute.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hitgirl
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2006 07:26:52 AM »

those are great Cheesy the skulls look really nice. I'd also love the pattern Shocked I've always wanted a nice looking 2 needle mitten pattern..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kulka4life
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2006 08:25:06 AM »

Can someone explain what 2-needle knitting is about?

Love those mittens absolutely. I think I'll make ones too. Once you provide the pattern.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

________
mrau?
LACEY
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2006 08:31:08 AM »

please post soon!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tejer
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2006 10:50:13 AM »

Most  mitten and glove patterns are done on double pointed needles (dpns) using 4 or 5 small needles that don't have the 'stop' or 'cap' at one end. These are done on 2 needles and you do have to seam them up. They are probably easier for beginners to knit, however, you do have a seam, whereas with dpns you would not.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batslovefruit
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2006 11:28:46 AM »

okay, the pattern for the skulls i got from the pdf file on http://www.helloyarn.com/wp/ which was meant for hats, but i made it smalled to only include the skulls

the back of the mitten, if you want to make your own pattern on knitting graph paper, is below (i drew it up in like 4 seconds in paint, sorry it looks crummy:

Okay, this is my first stab at pattern writing:

Two Needle Mittens

size US 5 needles
a stitch holder (i think mine is 4.5 inches)
worsted weight yarn (i used lions brand, about 4/5 of a ball of that makes a pair) in main color [MC] and contrasting color [CC] (you don't need much of CC)
tapestry needle
a stitch marker

Note: These directions are adapted from Doreen 2 Needle Mittens: Scandinavian Patterns by Nell Armstrong, copyright 1954 that belonged to my great grandmother.

Basically, youll be knitting the mitten flat and then sewing the sides together to enclose it when youre finished. I find it helps to read the directions through first to get an idea of how the pattern will work.

Skills (and abbreviations) youll need to know:

k - knit
p purl
stockinette stitch
increase
k2tog - knit two stitches together (I bet you can guess what p2tog is!)
slip 1, k1, psso - slip the first stitch onto the other needle without knitting it, knit the next stitch, then pass the slipped stitch over (psso) the one you just knit. This is a method of decreasing, similar to casting off for only that one stitch.

Cuff: Cast on 48 stitches in Main Color [MC]. Work in k1, p1 ribbing for 2 inches

Lower Mitten Body and Thumb Gusset: Tie in Contrasting color. Working in stockinette stitch (knit one row, purl one row) begin the mitten pattern youve chosen and work the rest in MC for 6 rows.

To begin the thumb gussets: work in pattern across the 25 stitches that will be the back of the hand part of the mitten, increase one stitch into the next stitch, k2 increase 1 into the next stitch, k19 (the remaining stitches.) Purl across next row, keeping in pattern. Next row: work in pattern across the 25 stitches of the pattern, increase 1 into next stitch, k4, increase 1 into next stitch, knit the remaining stitches. Purl across the next row, keeping in pattern. Continue doing this, working the pattern the first 25 stitches, increasing, and having 2 more stitches between increases on the knit rows until there are 14 stitches between the increases. End with a purl row.

this is more or less what it will look like with the thumb gusset in there.

Thumb Separation: Work in pattern across the 25 stitches, then place those stitches on the stitch holder. Knit 18 stitches and leave them on the needle, then place the remaining 19 stitches on the stitch holder.

Working on the 18 stitches of the thumb in stockinette stitch, cast on 1 stitch at each side of the thumb. Work until it is almost as long as your thumb (around 2 inches.) End in purl

Next row: k1, k2tog. Repeat across the row. Purl row. Next row: k2tog across the row. Cur the yarn leaving a7 inch tail. Thread the tapestry need with the tail and thread it through the remaining stitches on the needle and remove from needle. Pull tight to close the top of the thumb and use the tail to sew the seam of the thumb.

Hand: Take the stitches of the stitch holder, placing the pattern portion on the right needle and the MC palm portion on the left needle. Pick up 4 stitches at the base of the thumb and work across to the end of the row. Purl row. Work in pattern until the 47th row (youll see this on your pattern as the place where the mitten starts to get smaller.)

47th row: Youre knitting the back of the hand portion: k2tog, knit to within two stitches of the side of the pattern, slip 1, k1, psso (Remember to keep in pattern!) Slip a stitch marker onto the needle. K2tog, knit to within last 3 stiches, slip 1, k1, psso, k1.
Next row: purl as usual, keeping in patter.
Repeat these two rows twice more.

On the next purl row, p1, p2tog, purl across to within 2 stitches of marker, p2 tog. Now youre on the back of the hand/patterned part. P2tog and purl across (in pattern) to within 2 stitches of the end, p2tog. Decrease in this way on both the knit and the purl rows until there are 16 stitches left on the needle. Cut a long tail of yarn, and with the tapestry needle thread through the loops of the remaining stitches to secure them.

At this point, youre mitten is off the needles. You can put your hand in it and get a feel for how it will be when you sew it up. For extra warm mittens (and especially if they feel a bit roomy) this would be the time to sew in the fleece lining to the mittens.
Sew up the seams and your mitten is done!

Now theres just one more thing.

The Left Mitten: The left mitten will be worked the same as the right, with one big difference. Instead of starting the pattern on the right side of the flat mitten, youre work across 23 stitches (to the last 25 stitches) and work the pattern on the left. So for the left mitten: cuff is the same. When time to start the pattern, work across 23 stitches in MC and them begin pattern. To start thumb gusset: k19, increase 1 into next stitch, k2, increase 1, pattern on last 25 stitches. Finish left to correspond to the right mitten.

Alright, I hope this made sense...if there's something you don't understand, please ask and i'll try and clear it up ;o) happy knitting!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
LACEY
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2006 10:41:10 AM »

i've begun to knit these babies! when i get a little bit more of the pattern done i'll post!! i'm soo excited!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LACEY
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2006 05:48:15 AM »

here is my first try at these mittens - my first mittens ever - and the pattern was super easy to follow - i knit a whole mitten yesterday! i should have the other finished in a couple days now that i'm going back to work! just in case the photo doesn't work i posted it here:
http://www.pinknoodles.blogspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batslovefruit
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2006 08:50:05 AM »

oh man, they look awesome in purple! i hope your friend loves them. i'm glad the pattern made sense ;o)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss_T_Dane
Floderten

aka Floderten

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2006 09:06:56 AM »

Once I finish my hat, I'm definitely going to try out those mittens! Grin The pattern didn't look too difficult; then again, I have troubles with them sometimes. I wish more patterns came in Danish. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://flodertenstrik.blogspot.com -- ooh, a Danish blog! How exciting!
Hitgirl
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2006 01:34:02 PM »

What's the gauge for these, actually? Shocked I'm really keen on knitting a pair Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Xanthia

the goddess of hugs

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2006 02:08:14 PM »

Super cute!! I love them Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

L

skinned up knees and salty lips

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2006 02:12:28 PM »

everyones getting off the fact that you did an amazing job and for your FIRST try at mittens and a pattern.
VERY good job, im hitting the THIS ROCKS button
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog. read often. comment more.
<A HREF="http://www.apessimistsview.blogspot.com">

you taste so sweet but i cant eat the same thing everyday...
mayerlove
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2006 04:36:55 PM »

muy bien! me gusta mucho! Smiley great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
LACEY
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2006 05:11:24 PM »

i'm knitting another pair in dark olive and creme and the wool is an aran weigh so i switched to a smaller needle - i'm using a canadian 2.75 (american #2) - they seem to be working up the same size as the worsted on the 3.75can/5us needles
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hitgirl
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2006 03:46:27 AM »

Mm.. how many stitches to an inch? I'm in the netherlands and consequently I have no idea what aran and worsted weigh actually are (so frustrating!), so my best bet is finding a yarn that would produce a similar gauge and hope for a human-sized mitten.. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batslovefruit
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2006 12:57:56 PM »

I'd measure the mittens but I gave them away as a gift already ;o)

The 25 stitches that are the back of the hand should roughly be as wide as your hands is at the knuckles plus about 2cm.

so if you want to try casting on 25 with your prefered yarn and knitting that up for a couple inches it will give you a good idea of how wide it would be on whatever needle size you start out with, and you can go up or down in needle size depending on that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mandyc

my dog sleeps in a donut

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2006 01:47:22 PM »

i love these!  so tounge-in-cheek, when you think about who usually wears fair-isle mittens (i'm imagining prep school girls here . . .)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i knit so much, my arms fell off.
Hitgirl
« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2006 04:47:54 AM »

I COed all 48 and knit a few rows in stockinette and it came out a bit large. I think I shall use smaller needles and try it Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LACEY
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2006 03:34:55 PM »

here are my new skullies to match my new army green coat! they took probably 16 hours

if the pictures don't work you can see my mittens here at www.pinknoodles.blo gspot.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LorettaYoungSkills

burn all the candles out make a wish but not aloud

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2006 03:36:29 PM »

gorgeous lacer!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
LACEY
« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2006 03:49:45 PM »

thanks k-bear!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sarahxcore
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2006 09:14:49 AM »

is there any chance anyone has the chart with skulls in it? i've been trying to work it out myself all afternoon but i'm really crappy and it just doesn't seem to fit!!! am i doing somethig wrong maybe?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zknits
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2006 01:51:55 PM »

what awesome mittens!!!  i don't know where to start with the list of friends who would absolutely love them!!!!!

sarahxcore - there's a link with a chart on it early in all the postings...

z
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my knitting podcast (knit obsession) at: http://seezknit.blogspot.com/

http://zknitsgoods.blogspot.com/
ellen70
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2006 05:33:12 AM »

hi,
is the pattern for the mittens still available? This would be great, thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lothruin
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I eat seakittens.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2006 06:38:06 AM »

A tutorial/pattern is included on page 2.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Find craft patterns, supplies and humor at Lothruin.com!

Find me on Ravelry as Lothruin!
CarEll EllDar
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2006 05:25:52 PM »

Thanks for sharing the photo and the pattern.  These look they they would be soo much fun to make! And of course tons of fun to wear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rachelo
« Reply #40 on: November 03, 2006 07:26:46 PM »

Hi!  I'm knitting these up for Christmas for my mom.  I'm making them plain without the skulls, and I'm making them both at the same time.  batslovefruit or Lacey (or anyone else who's made these!), I'm having a hard time knowing when I hit the 47th row.  I wasn't keeping count as I knit.  Will the pattern get smaller if I'm not decreasing?  Is there an easier way to figure this out? 

Here's what batslovefruit's pattern says:
Work in pattern until the 47th row (youll see this on your pattern as the place where the mitten starts to get smaller.)

47th row: Youre knitting the back of the hand portion: k2tog, knit to within two stitches of the side of the pattern, slip 1, k1, psso (Remember to keep in pattern!) Slip a stitch marker onto the needle. K2tog, knit to within last 3 stiches, slip 1, k1, psso, k1.
Next row: purl as usual, keeping in patter.
Repeat these two rows twice more.

On the next purl row, p1, p2tog, purl across to within 2 stitches of marker, p2 tog. Now youre on the back of the hand/patterned part. P2tog and purl across (in pattern) to within 2 stitches of the end, p2tog. Decrease in this way on both the knit and the purl rows until there are 16 stitches left on the needle. Cut a long tail of yarn, and with the tapestry needle thread through the loops of the remaining stitches to secure them.

At this point, youre mitten is off the needles. You can put your hand in it and get a feel for how it will be when you sew it up. For extra warm mittens (and especially if they feel a bit roomy) this would be the time to sew in the fleece lining to the mittens.
Sew up the seams and your mitten is done!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
K_lox
« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2006 07:37:20 PM »

WOW those are so awesome! Very intricate looking. That'll take me some time to work up the guts to try that...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachelo
« Reply #42 on: November 03, 2006 07:41:29 PM »

I really like the pattern up until the part where I got confused!  But, I'm making them the "easy" way -- no cool skulls!  I don't think my mom would appreciate them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SparkyJen
« Reply #43 on: December 22, 2006 12:01:57 PM »

Thanks for the fantastic pattern, tho i made them the easy way lol

See them here...

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=141059.0

Merry Christmas!!!

Jen xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chocolatesweeties
« Reply #44 on: December 22, 2006 08:47:23 PM »

Wow, those look extremely well-made.  Awesome...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

daizyduke
« Reply #45 on: December 23, 2006 01:21:45 PM »

Did you ever figure this out? I want to make a plain pair also but this row 47 thing  seems confusing to me too. It doesn't specifically say to decrease so how does it get smaller? Any help would be great. Thanks.

I'm having a hard time knowing when I hit the 47th row.  I wasn't keeping count as I knit.  Will the pattern get smaller if I'm not decreasing?  Is there an easier way to figure this out? 

[/quote]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel. ~ Maya Angelou
rachelo
« Reply #46 on: December 25, 2006 07:07:10 AM »

Did you ever figure this out? I want to make a plain pair also but this row 47 thing  seems confusing to me too. It doesn't specifically say to decrease so how does it get smaller? Any help would be great. Thanks.

I'm having a hard time knowing when I hit the 47th row.  I wasn't keeping count as I knit.  Will the pattern get smaller if I'm not decreasing?  Is there an easier way to figure this out? 

I think what I did was to keep trying them on.  I don't remember, but after holding my breath and diving in, they turned out beautifully!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Effylicious
« Reply #47 on: December 25, 2006 10:11:01 PM »

I can't help you with your problem, but I can say that it DOES say to decrease -- that's what k2tog is!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a moment of silence, please, for those who never had the chance, they show up to a partybut they're never asked to dance, the losers, the liars, the bastards, the theives, the cynicists, the pessimists, and those who don't believe in nothing...
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Baked Potato Fans Recipe
Turkey and Dumplings Recipe
Christmas Roast Turkey Breast Recipe
Sage Flavored Stuffed Pork Chops Recipe
Onion and Cheddar Cheese Cornbread Sticks Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...