A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
696 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How far will you drive for yarn?  (Read 735 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Fun4Bambi
Scrumble Curious

Wanted for gluing googly eyes to other googly eyes

View Profile WWW
« on: December 31, 2005 07:05:41 AM »

So I just posted on a thread mentioning yarn from Hobby Lobby.  I've got a few LYSs here in my metropolitan area, but I just lust for some of that HL-specific stuff, however it's at least a 100 mile round trip, so I only do it when I have a minimum of half a day free for a yarn outing. There's also one of my favorite LYSs of all time, mid-state - about a 2.5 hour drive one way.  I try to combine my visits with other business I have in that area, but did make the trip specifically once just to shop.
Just wondering what lengths (har, har) any of you would go to for a 3D yarn purchasing expedition?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Frew-Frew
Caution: Eye Irritant

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005 11:04:23 AM »

Normailly I can get what I need here in town, however, I found the nearest hobby lobby,. It's about 200 miles away in southern VA. I hear everyone talking about it on Craftster and I'm thinking it's time for mom and I to take a weekend trip down there. That and it gives me an excuse to find a great roadhouse and go two-stepping with random gentlemanly roadhouse types.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chuck Norris does not knit. He bangs the table, and the shockwaves force the yarn to create clothing.

http://frousworld.blogspot.com/
spirals420
I swear to the stars... I'll burn this whole city down

turn it up, so you know it's got soul... jellyroll

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005 11:07:49 AM »

my yarn selection in this province is lame... i have driven out to san francisco and vancouver and seattle (with other goals like concerts) but have specifically gone to specific yarn stores that i have mapped out how to get there... and id do it again...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Obsessed Knitter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2005 09:56:10 PM »

I'm lucky to live very close to Seattle, and have more than 7 good yarn shops within 30 minutes driving distance. However, if there's a sale... I would easily make a longer trip. It depends on how good the sale is, but if it was the best sale ever to occur with my favorite yarn? I'd have no problem making a long trip out of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fyberduck
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2006 01:53:56 AM »

I'll go to any lengths to secure good fabulous yarn!  The trip is part of the fun!  Aaand, you get to knit along the way (well, if you have a friend, relative, b/f, hubby, or random stranger you can rope into driving)

Some friends and I decided a few years ago to form a group at my Uni, to be sanctioned knitters (mwahaha), and we regularly schedule "field trips" to giant yarn/ supply stores 2 or 3 hours away, w/o flinching.  Several of us are even trying to get a group together for a 3000 mile road trip to learn new spinning and weaving techniques... which is educational, so it has some sort of value or something...

So, my point is that it's all relative, right?  Yarn is more important than school, work, or anything else  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
bestsundaydress

colour me black and white

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2006 07:59:10 AM »

I'll go quite far...

All the knitting shops anywhere near where I live only sell plasticy, polyester yarns that I despise, so if I want anything decent I have to order online or travel.   Roll Eyes

But I'm travelling 3 hours train ride to London next week so I can go here:  http://www.loop.gb.com/   Grin  Although I am staying with a friend for a few days too, so I guess it's not just for the shop.  lol 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Feed my crafting habit - buy my prints at http://silxy.deviantart.com/store!!
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006 10:42:25 AM »

I live in a tiny village in SW WI.  We are lucky just to have a little grocery store.  I generally go to Dubuque, IA, about 20 miles.  If I want something special, I go to Galena, IL, about 30 miles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bronxie
I like yarn! Yarn, Yarn, yarn

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2006 12:02:12 PM »

I live 10 minutes from the city. The thing is, all the cool yarn stores are deep in the city. So I travel a good 30-40 minutes. It's worth it though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
box of purls
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006 12:28:11 PM »

We have Hobby Lobby and Hancock Fabrics here, and while they do sell yarn it's not exactly all wool and sometimes you would like something all wool.  The closest lys to me is in Memphis and I hardly ever go there so I have a tendency to just order online if there's something particular I want that isn't sold here in town.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elijor
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006 07:19:34 AM »

Well I haven't been knitting very long but have already traveled 2 hours for yarn stores. I used to travel much farther for quilt shops so I'm sure I will for yarn stores also.

It is not so much for the yarn purchase, there are places in town to get yarn - heck even JoAnn's and Lion Brand are making pretty nice wool/wool-blends now (and charging yarn shop prices for it), or you can shop online. It is just fun to see what different people are doing with the yarn as well as the experience of fondling the different yarns.

While we are on the subject I think we should say what yarn shops are worth a drive. Nothing like traveling 3 hours to find a yarn shop that has no samples and only Red Heart Super Saver (which has it's place but is definitely not worth a long drive).

Wildflower Yarns in Manhattan Kansas is most definitely worth a drive.
http://www.wildflowerknits.com/homepage.html;$sessionid$RUNEZLQAAA4ODTZENUFZPQWPERWRJPX0
The Yarn Barn in Lawrence Kansas is also worth a drive.
http://www.yarnbarn-ks.com/home.asp
The Heritage Hut in Wichita is OK and has some nice yarn so stop in if you are passing through but not worth a 2 hour drive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What is Tamarind
What is Sambal
What Are Panko Breadcrumbs
What is Palm Sugar
What Are Pandan Leaves
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...