A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
637 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Melted Synthetic Fabric Cuffs *little tute*  (Read 1230 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissMeshell
« on: December 30, 2005 10:56:50 PM »

Hey all Smiley There are some cuffs that i've made that I recently found in a box, I did them last year while bored and taking a break from uni work...They are made from synthetic fabrics that have had holes melted in them. I'm glad I found them actually, they were pretty simple and I want to make some more now that I have a holiday Cheesy I'm not really into the colours of these ones, they were just muck-around things but I think I could do some cool ones when I use colours that I'd wear.
Here we go...

Red and Blue synthetics

Red only

This one is a marooney one with a purple netted/sparkle fabric

and another red one, this fabric featured in almost all of them cos it burnt so well  Tongue

and here's a mini tute, Meshell's way (meaning, probably very jumbled and hard to understand...with no pics, sorry Tongue)

They are made by getting one to about 3 layers of synthetic fabric, a little longer than the length around your wrist (diametre)...
|                           |
|_______________|

It's/they are so long in the other direction because to get the layered effect when you burn through you roll it up and then iron it flat to whatever thickness you desire...

then you take this rolled/ironed peice and you get a candle and very carefully place it above the candle where you wish a hole to appear (don't stick it IN the candle, just over the top) and remember this will only work with certain SYNTHETIC fabrics which will melt rather than burn.
You'll notice the top layer of fab start to discolour, then melt and then open up revealing the layer underneath and so on and so on depending on how many times you rolled your fabric. If you've used two different colours the second one will start to show through, then back to the first etc.
When you are happy with how 'deep' your hole is take the piece away and then place back in the place where you would like your next hole. and so on and so on.

Wear a mask and do this in a well ventilated area as it can give you a mean headache and who knows what else...I also have a glass of water on hand because certain fabrics can catch alight and scare the crap out of you! Just be careful! Cheesy
___________________ _____
|   o     ooO   OOO oo O O    |
|_ 0_0OO_o o ()____()_o_o_|

Now your cuff is to your liking and full of lovely holes... (excuse my lame attempt at diagrams Tongue)

How to get it into a cuff...I'm not sure of the best way, I always seal my edges by melting them, you could try to melt them together to create the circle, or you could always add studs or buttons or whatever...

Hope this wasn't too hard to understand!
Meshell xx Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
avery_cross
crafterbator extraordinaire

yummm... boys...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005 11:29:22 PM »

whoaaa, what a neat idea. i really like the first one a lot! these are awesome! i'd try if i wasn't deathly afraid of fire and all ;]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the name is katie. :]
myspace!
clear static!
ninja_monkey

cake or death ?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005 07:29:44 AM »

the maroon/purple one gets my vote. i really like the idea , i'll definitely be trying this, i've mucked around with distressing fabric before  but never burning it  Smiley thanks for the inspiration...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keepin It Kitsch
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Seared Ahi Tuna
How to Make Chicken Wings
How to Grill Lobster Tails
How to Grill Corn On The Cob
How to Make Beef Tenderloin
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...