A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,468
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: crafty business idea... sort of  (Read 2928 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crafty mama
ooh. snap crackle poop.

I'm a llama's mama!!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 30, 2005 08:26:14 PM »

I know there's a topic for this more generally, but I wanted to see what you guys thought, first. I got yarn harlot books for christmas, and she talks about how she taught knitting at a toy store, which I thought would be a pretty cool gig, and so I was wondering how I could get some creative teaching gigs and I came up with this. It's like party clowns, but instead of baloon animals and face paint, you learn a craft like knitting or tie dyeing or soapmaking or whatever. And no one dresses up like clowns. That's an important part. I'm pretty sure no one would be rolling in the dough from this, but it beats a poke in the eye. I just had this thought today, I haven't taken it any further than that. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under my mattress
I keep boxes of beautiful dreams
And late at night
When no ones in sight
They come out and whisper to me - J,LC
rickrackruby
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005 05:56:39 AM »

As long as there aren't any clowns.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

woodlandsprite

I'm a Yarnaholic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2006 09:58:11 AM »

I think it depends on how much time you have to dedicate and if you are predisposed to being patient.

While I love teaching craft to new people, I'd have to get stuck with a paying client that I didn't have the patience for Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://woodlandsprite.blogspot.com
or just for finished objects/goods:
http://spritelygoods.blogspot.com

Handblended batts, handspun yarn and handdyed goodness!
http://spritelygoods.com
Jlry-Lv-R
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2007 02:59:39 PM »

Wow!
Crafty M thats really a great idea and a great idea for people to get together.
It would be great especially in the 2-3 months before a holiday to advertise and teach groups how to make great holiday gifts. I know I would definitely pay 15-20 even 30 dollars to go somewhere and learn a gift idea and come home with one or two of them in the process.

A botanical gift basket can easily be assembled and the soap and botanicals made in less then two hours! The products all usable and healthy! The supplies bought in bulk would be very inexpensive.

The same can be said for beaded jewelry, cooking oils and herb pouches, sachets, shell wind chimes  and oh I can think of lots of stuff

As you say you wouldn't get rich but what a concept! spreading handmade cheer among the masses!
V
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KarenLouiseM
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Put me in coach, I'm ready to play

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007 08:22:45 AM »

I can definitely see this as something people would pay money for.  I know that those "paint your own pottery" places do parties.  And I have done enough crafting with kids to know that they love creating things.

There used to be a place that did tea parties, Tiggywinkles once held "fairy" parties (and maybe they both still do) and there's a place across from Rincon Market that does theme parties.  I think there is a market here.  And yeah, it's probably not gonna make someone rich - but it would be a fun parttime gig that would make a few $.

In that vein, I can see people paying someone to come to their house (like a clown - but I am so with you on the "not dressed like a clown" thing).  I picture pre-teen/early-teen slumber parties, where someone comes with all the supplies for them to create stuff like:

tie dye clothing
personal scrapbooks
make-up/spa type stuff
simple scarf (knit or crochet)
shrine
something out of yo-yo's
simple stuffed felties
painted glass/tiles/whatever can be cured in a regular oven
bottle cap jewelry
beading
simple painted box
probably even altered shadowboxes and such for the older kids

I did the painted box thing with some of my duaghter's friends when she was a teenager and they had a ball.  I pulled out all the paints, glitter, small objects I could find.  I still have mine, just a random cigar box covered in small objects - kind of like some of those art cars  Cheesy  Heck, they could even make their own boxes using popsicle sticks or wallpapering heavy chipboard boxes.

And when one of my kids was 7 or 8 (can't remember which one) we had a tie dye party and everyone made their own t-shirts.  Also went over well.

When I taught prek-k we did beading for Mother's Day once - they had to have some help, but not a lot.  And everyone liked that as well.

Like Jlry-Lv-R says, there are lots more - these were just the ones that I immediately thought of.  I say go for it  Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not that I don't want to swap, it's that I often don't have time.  But feel free to ask (especially if it's one that's not too time consuming).
Jlry-Lv-R
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007 10:45:14 AM »

Its amazing how the great things we did to entertain our kids could now be a blooming enterprise!
you had some great idea's also I love creative people never boring always thinking!
V Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Renaissance Sausage in Philadelphia
The Brooklyn Flea Food Vendors
Cooking for the James Beard House
Super Bowl Dip Recipe: Chili Con Carne
How to Make Chicken Wings in Cola
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Sandwich Wrap
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...