A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,759
Currently Running With Scissors:
635 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mardi Gras Masks Tutorial  (Read 3969 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , mask  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« on: June 06, 2004 09:37:35 AM »

My school's semi-formal dance is coming up. The theme is mardi gras, so a mask is essential. I went to the party store near my house, and was disappointed. I thought as I looked at the masks, "I can make one of these!" So, I gathered up a few of my crafty friends and we made masks that put the New Orleans mask makers to shame.

Materials
 Smiley A mask form. They sell these at craft stores. I was able to buy four in a pack.
 Smiley Paint (acrylic) with brushes or sponges
 Smiley Glitter glue
 Smiley Feathers
 Smiley Sequins
 Smiley Hot glue gun with glue
 Smiley A dowel rod (Since I stupidly forgot to get one, I found a good stick in the back yard)
 Smiley Ribbon
 Smiley Any other decorations like jewels, beads, etc.

Step by Step
1. Take the mask form and paint it any colour you like. The paint may take hours to dry. To speed this process up to a mere few minutes, use a hair dryer.
2. While the mask is drying, find ribbon and a dowel rod or stick. You can wrap one ribbon around it to make a solid stick, or you can make diagnol stripes using two ribbons, like I did. Or, you can even paint the dowel rod/stick.
         a. TO MAKE DIAGNOL STRIPES
             1. Cut a piece of ribbon a few feet long. You want it to be WAY longer than the stick itself.
             2. Take one colour ribbon and wrap it around the stick on an angle. Continue until you've covered the ENTIRE stick. Hot glue the ends in place.
             3. Take the second ribbon and wrap it on top of the other in the same fashion. Leave about 1/4 of an inch space, so you can see the colour underneath.
             4. Hot glue the stick to the mask form. Be sure to glue the end of the stick with the extra ribbon on it to the mask. Leave the ribbon hanging down, like I did, or cut it off.
3. Next, glue feathers, sequins, and glitter to the mask. Decorate it any way you like!

Here are some pictures of my mask. The last is a close up of the ends of the ribbon. I used sequins for this part.

edit:Spelling & grammer mistakes/ skipped a step in the ribbon wrapping part. I can't help that those little mess-ups drive me nuts!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2005 12:38:18 PM by candycanechild » THIS ROCKS   Logged
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2004 09:59:54 AM »

very cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sneeg
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2004 03:22:53 PM »

That's swell!  There are mardi gras themed parties around here and I never have found a mask I like . . . and a project like this uses up lots of the stuff scattered around my basement.  Excellent, thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Swap info: www.projectjanel.or g/swap/index.html
I have wisted some fabrics, but they are just to give an idea of what I like: www.wists.com/sneeg
I like personal swaps, PM me if you're interested
fortunecookie
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2004 07:05:47 PM »

Ooohhhers....me likey. I have a collection of antique Venetian masks adorning my walls right now. (I have just about everything in the world crammed into my tiny redroom.) Very nice!

-- Sarah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no position in society." --Mark Twain
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004 02:04:30 PM »

My friend Sarah, who made the masks with me, finally got around to sending me a picture of her with the mask. The dance was in June... haha. I don't know if you can tell by the picture, but her dress (thrift store, $13.00) has swirls on it that match the ones on the mask.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet an iPad Case
How to Arrange a Nativity Scene
How to Build a Bookcase
How to Build a Bunk Bed
How to Build a Marble Roller Coaster
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...