A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 296,738
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sewn Overnight Bag ** finished :) thanks!  (Read 915 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mmmfruit
« on: December 30, 2005 06:01:01 PM »

I think... that I am going to give up on sewing.  I drew out my own pattern for an overnight bag, and I'm working with some thick fabric.  I guess it's too much for my sewing machine to handle, because the needle broke and shards flew onto the bag, got stuck on the bag, and one bounced off my neck.  I've also poked myself hundreds of times on the pins holding the top & handles and the whole bag together.  I've only sewn the lining and the main body of the bag, but I still have yet to sew the top (with the zipper) to the bag while connecting the lining and main body together, plus the handles.  I'm supposed to do it all at once while just sewing around the top but it's too thick and I'm afraid of my machine now. >_<

If I hand-sew this (and what stitch should I use), do you think it will hold together and be sturdy enough to hold clothes + daily use items (such as toothbrush, etc.) for overnight carrying?

« Last Edit: January 08, 2006 01:08:57 PM by mmmfruit » THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovelyscrubs
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006 10:08:45 AM »

i think that bag is coming out good . Just take a deep breath make sure you are using the corrct needle for the weight of fabric and dust yourself off and try again. I to have also gotten so frustrated to the point that I wanted to through my sewing machine but after I take a break mayba a day or two you will be able to finish without a problem. Good luck Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Flea
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006 11:28:33 PM »

I also think you are doing a great job!  My machine breaks needles when I am trying to force it to sew too thick of fabric.  Sometimes it helps to use a jeans or an extra sharp needle.  It also helps to use those little plastic thingies to make the presser foot sit higher when going over a seam, my new machine came with some but I think I bought one called a jean-a-ma-jig?  Please post when you get finished!
LSE
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmsmaverick
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006 05:31:06 AM »

oh, gosh, don't give up. that is coming out really nicely.

try the other suggestions, definitely. a stronger needle will absolutely help. my other method for smoothing over sewing machine arguments is to make something that you know will work, and will be fast. such as a box bottom bag or a kleenex cozy. then you get the satisfaction and sense of accomplishment that you've finished a project, plus you have instant gratification because both those projects take no time atall. then you can go back to the overnight bag more empowered.

don't lose hope, that bag is coming along to well to chuck the craft alltogether.

: )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

froggerng
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006 05:23:20 PM »

What you could do, that would take a while but still be faster and more secure than hand sewing, is to turn the flywheel on the side of your sewing machine by hand during the thick areas.  I know it sounds crazy, but I use this technique often when sewing leather.  Just use the foot pedal as usual when sewing the not-so-thick parts, and walk it slowly by hand over the strap section and other hard areas.  When you do this, you can tell when the needle is bending and hitting the needle plate, and you can back it up a bit. (I've actually used a ruler to push the needle straight to get it to go down!)  Just make sure you have a heavy-duty needle in, and check your tension carefully as you go, 'cause thread knots are more common when you use your machine this way.   And make sure your presser foot is down!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Etsy store!
http://viridian.etsy.com
mmmfruit
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006 01:08:40 PM »

thanks for the help! Smiley
i picked up needles for sewing denim and finished it!

(moderator - this can be moved to completed projects now, if you wish)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovelyscrubs
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2006 05:37:13 AM »

congradulations that look great
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tom Bromley Talks About the 1980s
Nora McFarland Reveals Her Favorite Movies
Vincent Flynn Talks About Extreme Measures
Meet Author Tristan Bancks
A Message From Audrina Partridge
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...