A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,787
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: seed catalogs  (Read 5237 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2006 01:30:18 PM »

Here is a snap of the Buddleia I got from Parks last year

Here is the Butterflyweed I got from Burgess 2 years ago.  More about the butterfly weed here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=45483.0

The Castor Bean that I got from Gurneys, posing with my shivering Shih tzu, that got me up at 5:30 this morning

When it dries up, I'll take a picture of my Harry Lauder's walking stick that I got from Parks last year
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006 01:36:46 PM by GloryB » THIS ROCKS   Logged
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2006 02:18:45 PM »

Unfortunately I don't have any pictures to share.  I just bought my first house last summer and we didn't have time to get the garden ready before winter.  In the past I've stuck with little tiny gardens at the apartments I've rented.  Oh, and I worked mostly with container gardens last year.  I'll have to look around to see if I have any pictures of my great great grandmother's morning glories.  My mom managed to score the seeds from my grandmother and she's trying to bring them back.  Her yard is LOADED with them and I've grown them everywhere I've lived.  The colors are really rare...can't find them around anywhere, but I like the idea of planting them everywhere.  If I can find the pictures I'll post.

GloryB, butterflies must LOVE your garden!  From the pictures you've posted I guess they do.  Any luck with hummingbirds?  I had one who hoved around in my garden and would not let another hummingbird near the feeders or the flowers.  Weird.  Must be a territorial thing. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006 02:33:20 PM »

I came across one picture that I had saved from two years ago.  I think I have more...I'll post later.

My great great grandfather planted these in his yard (now my grandmothers yard) and my mom took some of the seeds a few years back.  I love planting these around.  It's almost like spreading around a little bit of antiquity, if only in a few backyards.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
GloryB

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006 06:32:57 AM »

archer,  Almost everything I plant is to attract hummers and butterflies, and Ive been pretty sucessful so far.  Late DH and I just bought this house mid-summer 03, then he got sick and passed away in the summer 04.  So I really didn't do much with the yard until last summer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2006 06:44:16 AM »

Oh, GloryB, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband.   Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-E. Bachmann
retroeva

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2006 08:13:27 AM »

Im so sorry for your loss also!!!!
On a lighter note, all of your flowers look absolutely amazing. This makes me want to do a seed swap with you!!! Hey.... a seed swap might not be such a bad idea.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
kd
Ta Da, It's Miss America!

If you can't convince them, confuse them.

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2006 10:54:36 PM »

Thanks dear! He lived a long, full life and after suffering several strokes, the time was right.  I've started a garden numerous times... but have goats that are REALLY good at breaking through the fence.  (argh)  The goats will be gone and hopefully I'll be able to enjoy fresh tomotoes this year.  I've had such a craving for mesclun and raspberry vinigrete......yummmmmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no such thing as a stay-at-home mom.
GloryB

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2006 12:25:31 PM »

Thank you archer*of*loaf and retroeva
kd,  Sorry you lost your Hubby, too.  My guy had a stroke 4 years ago, so we sold our business and big 2 story house, and bought this smaller ranch style that I have now.  A couple of months after we moved in, he had a heart attack, and spent the last 10 months of his life on oxygen.  It was pretty rough.  I miss him so much.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2006 12:29:20 PM by GloryB » THIS ROCKS   Logged
retroeva

« Reply #18 on: January 05, 2006 05:43:27 AM »

So much sadness on here! Makes me want to run and grab my husband by the waist and never let go.
Honestly (not to get on a tangent) thats why I enjoy gardening so much. I love the fact that I can plant my grandmothers morning glory seeds this March and by April I will have her greeting me every morning. Gardening is so theraputic because you can start with a shoddy patch of land with weeds and roots and in the course of a month or so, you can have a beautiful garden with lovely visitors like butterflies and hummingbirds (not to mention those cute little chickadees!!!).
Geez, is it spring yet?!?!?!?! Huh
SO! Off on that tangent..... On the tutorial I am going to make, I wanted to seperate it up into zones and have a section on contanier gardening. I also wanted to highlight some popular plants that are relatively easy to grow (like petunias, morning glories, snap dragons (ets). So what are some of yalls favirote?
Im a HUGE snap dragon fan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 05, 2006 09:34:59 AM »

I think my favorite, other than my heirloom morning glories, has to be Dianthus.  Any variety.  I grew them in pots on my front porch last summer and they just exploded!  They're so pretty and very simple, but so easy to care for.  With being busy getting our new house ready to move in, it was nice to just throw them in some pots and let them go.  I love sunflowers too, but they can sometimes be fussy.

Yeah, I have to say that after reading what kd and GloryB had to say about their husbands, I, too, want to hold tight to mine.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

-E. Bachmann
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What to Wear to a Holiday Party
The Best Bras for Tricky Dresses
3 Ways to Style Wide Leg Pants
Inside the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show Fittings with the Angels
Wear 1 Holiday Dress to Every Kind of Thanksgiving Dinner!
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Sherlock Matchbox
@Home This Weekend: Bottlecap Magnets
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...