A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,132
Currently Running With Scissors:
292 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: seed catalogs  (Read 4993 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« on: December 30, 2005 10:53:40 AM »

Tis the season for seed and gardening catalogs.  I don't know about you folks, but browsing through them and making my lists for the 2006 growing season really helps me through the winter blahs.

Anyone have any experience with ordering through the Jung catalog?  I've never ordered anything with them and I'm curious about what I'm in for.

Anyone else getting ready for spring already?  Wishful thinking???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005 07:27:05 AM »

Almost every day, I get a new seed catalog.  I drool over the pictures of the vegetables, and dream of all the flowers.  I'll be doing that for the next couple of months, before reality sets in.  I only have a lot that is 130' X l00'  and my house, garage and a spring take up quite a bit of that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2005 08:03:11 AM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one.  I have two close friends at work who are really into gardening too and each one of us brings in our new catalogs and trade off.  We've got quite a hefty order going so far, but it's exciting to plan for warmer weather.  Now, if only it would just get here faster!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
retroeva

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2006 08:31:58 PM »

This is so funny, we have had freak weather here in TN (today it got to a little over 65!!!) and all I could think about today is getting pitch black dirt under my fingernails. I would LOVE a link to some of the seed catalouges that you use so I can put up a semi-tutorial to prepare our gardeners here for the upcoming season!
Eva
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2006 06:03:17 AM »

Ugh, I know the feeling!  I'm going stir crazy and it's only January!  I'm normally not this bad at this time of year, but like you, we've had freak weather in NY too and I think it's making me think Spring or something.

Catalogs...let's see.  Well, I get the obvious ones like:

http://www.jungseed.com/  They've got some really great deals in the sale insert of the 2006 catalog.

http://www.burpee.com

and

http://www.parkseed.com

but my personal favorite is the Martha Stewart of all seed catalogs:

http://www.whiteflowerfarm.com...I drool over this book all year long.

I've also heard these people are wonderful too, but I've never ordered from them before:

http://www.seedsofchange.com/

Anyone else???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-E. Bachmann
GloryB

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006 06:42:38 AM »

Talk about freaky weather!  Last month we had 15 inches of snow, and sub zero temps.  Now it's above freezing and it's raining.  I was jolted out of bed at 5:30 this morning by a boom of thunder and a shivering Shih tzu  This is Wisconsin.

I get all the the above catalogs plus:
Pinetree Garden Seeds
www.superseeds.com

The Cooks Garden
www.cooksgarden.com

Territorial Seed Company
www.territorialseed.com

R. H. Shumway'y Garden Guide
www.rhshumway.com
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006 11:44:12 AM by GloryB » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kd
Ta Da, It's Miss America!

If you can't convince them, confuse them.

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006 07:02:03 AM »

I haven't personally, but plan too.  My uncle passed away last year... had an awesome garden and claims it was all because he used their seed.  He's swore by them for years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no such thing as a stay-at-home mom.
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2006 09:15:36 AM »

GloryB, thanks for the links!  I've ordered through a few of these companies before, but I'm not familiar with The Cooks Garden.  They're good, eh?  They've got a nice site.  Can't wait for the catalog to arrive.

kd, sorry to hear about your uncle!  I hope you continue his legacy by working in his or your own garden.  It's a wonderful way to relieve stress, too!  I personally lost a few close friends within the last ten years or so, and I'm working on little memorial gardens for each of them now that I have a house of my own.  I chose one flower for each friend and laminated a photo of each of them.  When the flowers start coming up this spring/summer, I'll put their photos in the garden among the flowers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-E. Bachmann
GloryB

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2006 11:43:05 AM »

I've never ordered from Cook's Garden.  It's a smallish catalog, and all of the illustrations are drawings instead of photos.  The Shumway catalog is all drawings, too.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2006 11:46:08 AM by GloryB » THIS ROCKS   Logged
retroeva

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2006 12:08:57 PM »

I was running errands this morning and I SWEAR I looked up at my cars thermometer thingy and it said 75!!! Shocked

I googled a bunch of seed companys and I sent off for all of their catalouges. Hopefully Ill get them soon and we can talk hyacinths!!!
Do yall have any pictures of plants grown from any of the companies that you would mind my posting???
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Marc Jacobs Launches His Beauty Range ‘Marc Jacobs Beauty’ in Paris.
2014 Fashion Week Beauty: The Natural Look Returns
Mila Kunis Makeup Tutorial
How to Open a Stuck Bottle of Nail Polish
Dermatologist Dr. Debra Jaliman on Changing Your Beauty Routine
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...