A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,006
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: seed catalogs  (Read 5607 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 05, 2006 11:25:51 AM »

You two are so sweet.  Give your guys a hug from me.  Yes, gardening is theraputic.  There something very soothing about the smell of freshly turned earth, and getting your hands in it.  And very hopeful and exciting to plant a seed, and watch it grow and bloom, and fruit.
I did save some of the seeds from my buterfly weed.  I plan to scatter them on the steep bank in my back yard, so that DGD and I can raise more monarchs this summer.  But I'm sure I could spare some.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2006 11:44:06 AM »

Mmmm, I love the smell of freshly turned dirt.  I planted about 500 bulbs in my front yard back in November and that smell made me realize that it was probably the last time I'd smell it until Spring.  That's so sad.  I'd love to live someplace where I could garden year round, but then again, I'd miss winter too much.  Besides, winter gives me an excuse to spoil my houseplants rotten.  Ha ha.  I say that as if they're my kids.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
GloryB

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2006 12:33:50 PM »

It's a good thing I'm on a rural mail route.  Today's mail brought me:
Select Seeds
www.selectseeds.com

Jackson & Perkins
www.jacksonandperkins.com

Thompson & Morgan
www.thompson-morgan.com

Gardeners Supply Company
www.gardeners.com

Farmer Seed and Nursery
www.farmerseed.com

Nancy's Notions
www.nancysnotions.com

And a couple of tool catalogs.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006 12:37:36 PM by GloryB » THIS ROCKS   Logged
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2006 02:15:01 PM »

Funny you should mention it because I came home to most of those catalogs too!  Great stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
retroeva

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2006 04:51:24 PM »

Gah! I need seed catalouges! My DH and I decided not to move this year after the first frost so I didnt get a chance to plant any bulbs. Im heart broken. By the time we move out of this duplex, its going to be a butterfly village! Thankfully my hubby is big into plants (he is going to school for botany) so as long as I keep the species non invasive, he is a very happy camper. He ran around Tennessee last summer on an intership with the USDA tracking invasive species. I never knew how bad some of the stuff is. Kudzu, the vine that ate the south!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2006 04:19:38 AM »

You should order as many catalogs as you can.  It helps to beat the winter blahs, I swear!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-E. Bachmann
Ayn
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2006 01:33:33 PM »

Hi all! Odd no one's yet mentioned the good ole T&M seed catalog, Thompson & Morgan....??
[[[EDITED to add ::: oooops age must be gettin the best of me, at least in regard to eyesight, lol -- sorry, GloryB, you did mention T&M!]]]
Anyway...
Just in-general/ overall, I do believe I've had the best luck with their seeds than with those from anywhere else.  Also almost always found some amazing varieties that weren't available, or were unusually hard to find, anywhere else. 
[[I no longer do this much at all but for many years I was an absolutely *maniacal* indoor-seedstarter.
 Adorable hub -- to whom I too had to go & give a big lovin squeeze! -- built or otherwise devised numerous different seedstarting areas in other homes for my lil um "addiction" -----
then here in our 'retirement house' we ended up with a truly enormous unfinished walkout-type basement, so he  finally felt inspired to go "whole-hog."  ...
Big heavyduty floor-to-ceiling shelves fixed up with rows of daylight fluoro tubes & handy outlets for the heat mats; big workbench or 'potting table' (plain wood door-cabinets & drawer-cabinets topped with long laminate countertop); plus more heavy-duty shelves for the soil & other bags, the trays, the small pots, & all sorts of other stuff that needs storing; even a big ole 'laundry sink' for watering, cleanup, etc.
Really a great setup, and actually it turned out to be the least-expensive among all the other things he's done for me elsewhere over the years.]]
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006 01:37:53 PM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
retroeva

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2006 04:19:32 PM »

Ayn,
Thats fantastic!!!! My DH suprised me the other day with my first mini-seedhouse. I bought seeds at the dollar store for impatients and a few veggies.

Has anyone else seen the plant called Fantasy in the Burpees catalouge? It starts with a "p". Perillium I think, anyway... I need it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
GloryB

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2006 07:56:45 AM »

Oooh, a walk out basement.  I have one, and I just love it.  No carrying wet laundry up the stairs to hang it out on the line.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tofuttibreak
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2006 08:53:22 PM »

Baker Creek has some really amazing heirloom seeds. The owners take trips all over the world to collect rare seeds--but they aren't too expensive and they are so much more interesting than the same old seeds you see in everyone's garden (not that there is anything wrong with those!).
http://rareseeds.com

I grew heirloom tomatoes last year and they tasted so amazing good. I can't wait!
« Last Edit: February 12, 2006 08:54:58 PM by tofuttibreak » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Steps to a Seriously Easy Day-to-Night Look
#AdamSays: Comfy Pants You Can Wear Out of the House
#AdamSays: A Trick for Going from Workout to Out-on-the-Town in No Time
What to Wear for a First Date
Wear Springs Hottest New Trend: Longline Oversized Shirt
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...