A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,148
Currently Running With Scissors:
556 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I need some candid feedback - Please Help.  (Read 1157 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SewMantra
« on: February 12, 2012 10:48:41 AM »

Hello Craftster Community,

I have a shop on etsy and things since the beginning of the year have just tanked. I have gotten wonderful reviews from those who have bought from me. I am also getting a ton of traffic everyday. I have read the books and I'm doing everything I am supposed to be including the "The Heavy Seven"

1. Use a banner
2. Fill out your profile.
3. Have a clear shop policy
4. Use all 5 photos
5. Use all 14 tags
6. Ship internationally
7. Include measurements

So what I'm asking here is not necessarily if I'm going in the right direction as far as getting the shop up and working and having the basic necessities, but I need some eyes to take a look at this shop and tell me if the photos seem off, is the text too wordy, are prices wonky, or is the theme of my shop disjointed. It could be any of these things or it could be any number of other things.

I have asked family and friends to look am my site and of course all they say is, "It looks great, you have wonderful content". They are so supportive, but unfortunately they don't know much in the way of selling handmade wares. The long and the short of it, I need some eyes and minds in the trade who know how the crafting community works to look at my shop and give me some feedback. Or even people who are into buying handmade look at this and tell me your thoughts.

I really need some candid and honest feedback. I really want this to work and I am stuck on what I should do. Please help.

You can get to my site at http://sewmantra.etsy.com

Much Thanks,
Martiel
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Martiel B.

Sewmantra
REUSE | RENEW | REINVENT
http://www.zibbet.com/sewmantra | http://sewmantra.blogspot.com
Antidigger
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012 01:26:59 AM »

Firstly, let me say I like your site and your products. But, you asked for candid feedback, right?

Firstly your shop announcement blurb is a bit wordy, try writing it in different ways/styles to see if you can get it down to fit on one screen page.

Consider how your first paragraph looks at the top of the shop. I see 2 and a half sentences, which makes it look a bit disjointed. Perhaps you could make the first paragraph longer and sum up what the rest of the blurb says, but do try to make sure the last sentence visible is a full one.

You use some long lists in your blurb: perhaps you could consider reducing a list to 3 specific items and a catch-all term -that's a public speaking trick, but get some feedback if you try it -it may work less well for written words, but I found my eyes skating over those lists.

Your URLs in the blurb are not clickable (I don't know whether that's correctable or not, but I'd expect them to be.)

Secondly your photos are a little dull against the white page background. Where you have white backgrounds in the photos they tend to look grey and the bright colours that you use don't pop out as well as they could. Maybe you could use a light box, or possibly adjust the saturation and/or brightness in your photo editing software.
The posing and framing of your photos are excellent, please don't change that.

Your shop sections: you've spelled fabulous with a double s at the end. If it is deliberate then you need to add more blatant misspellings to that list, otherwise I'd correct it .

I can't comment on your pricing as I really don't have the cultural awareness of dollar pricing.

I hope it picks up for you soon. I really like your stuff and also the idea behind them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012 11:22:46 AM »

I'm not seeing an identity here. Looks to me like you can/will sell the crocheted items. These are traditional goods, they look nicely made with interesting detail, then all of a sudden there are cut-out felt germ shapes stuck onto earrings. I don't get it. It means you are not producing new lines for your current customers. It means your current customers can't quite count on you for their next purchase.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewMantra
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012 02:30:15 PM »

To the two who have commented on this thread thus far, Thank you! I asked for candid feedback and you gave it. It is not often that people will share things they think outright. Your feedback helps so much and I appreciate you taking the time to write these thoughts down and share them with me.

Lastly, I was looking for some extra eyes to look at this shop because, as you both are probably well aware, when you are close to something all the time, it becomes more and more difficult to look at it objectively. It has all started to seem like the a bit of a blurr on what I have changed, how it sounds, etc. Anyhow, your thoughts are so very much appreciated, thank you again.

Martiel

PS: I'd prefer the links to be clickable too - however on etsy, if they are non etsy pages (go to any other site other than an etsy site or profile page) then they do not become clickable for some reason. It is written in their website design - - a bummer as it is something I'd expect too.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Martiel B.

Sewmantra
REUSE | RENEW | REINVENT
Antidigger
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012 01:14:04 AM »

PS: I'd prefer the links to be clickable too - however on etsy, if they are non etsy pages (go to any other site other than an etsy site or profile page) then they do not become clickable for some reason. It is written in their website design - - a bummer as it is something I'd expect too.

Oh, how annoying for you. It's not something I'd picked up on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
SewMantra
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012 12:01:10 PM »

No kidding. I even contacted Etsy corporate to ask about this and they intentionally block non-etsy page links from being. Ugh! Maybe if enough shop owners comment on this they will change it. In the mean time, I suppose I should put a little blurb or something that indicates this.

I didn't even think about it, but you are probably right, it is confusing that some links are clickable and other aren't.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Martiel B.

Sewmantra
REUSE | RENEW | REINVENT
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Trend Alert: The Bomber Jacket Is Back
5 Ways To Wear A Metal Plate Belt
Rachael Ray Show Underwear Overhaul
How to Look Good for a Job Interview
How to Customize a Top
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...