A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,750
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How and where do i make a banner for my etsy shop?  (Read 20716 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cdoggett
« on: December 30, 2005 08:36:14 AM »

Hi all, forgive me if this has been done before, but i just didn't feel up to wading through 60 pages of stuff. my laziness will be the end of me.

Anywho, i'm setting up a shop on etsy, but i need a banner, and i'm not sure where to make one, or how. Is it something i can do with one of the programs i have, like adobe illustrator, or do i have to go to a website or something? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
acceber
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2005 04:25:50 PM »

You can use illustrator, photoshop, Microsoft Publisher, or a number of other programs to create your own banner. Etsy's banners are 535x77 pixels, so create a new, blank document with those dimensions. Now comes the designing part. If you have a logo that you've made, or certain fonts you wish to use, the banner is a great place to showcase them. Just enter text, design elements (such as graphics, shapes, etc.), and voila! Save it as a jpg file (or another file type that etsy accepts), and then upload it to the banner part of your shop setup under "Your Shop."

Hope that helps. I just opened my etsy shop yesterday, and I definitely think the banner adds a necessary personality to an etsy shop. Good luck!

- Rebecca

« Last Edit: February 08, 2007 01:23:03 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Rebecca
cinna-mum
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006 01:42:39 AM »

Ahuh!! So that's how!! THANKYOU!!!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty Mama of 4

www.craftymamas.net
cdoggett
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2006 01:29:33 PM »

You can use illustrator, photoshop, Microsoft Publisher, or a number of other programs to create your own banner. Etsy's banners are 535x77 pixels, so create a new, blank document with those dimensions. Now comes the designing part. If you have a logo that you've made, or certain fonts you wish to use, the banner is a great place to showcase them. Just enter text, design elements (such as graphics, shapes, etc.), and voila! Save it as a jpg file (or another file type that etsy accepts), and then upload it to the banner part of your shop setup under "Your Shop."

Hope that helps. I just opened my etsy shop yesterday, and I definitely think the banner adds a necessary personality to an etsy shop. Good luck!

- Rebecca

Thankyou soooooooo much! my banner's not perfect, but at least now it's a little more personal.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2007 01:23:18 PM by jungrrl » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kristen81
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2006 10:32:01 PM »

Etsy's banners are 535x77 pixels, so create a new, blank document with those dimensions.

If I'm using Photoshop how do i do that?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WISTS!!!!      http://wists.com/KraftyKris

CHECK OUT MY SWAP BLOG:  http://kristen81.blog.ca/

WHAT'S FOR DINNER? - Recipe Blog!!!  http://kristenskitchen.blog.ca
acceber
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2006 11:08:55 PM »

In Photoshop, under File, click New. It should prompt you with a box that allows you to select the dimensions (width and height) and resolution (I've found a resolution of 96 works well with Etsy for a banner). Then just press OK and the blank document of that size will appear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

- Rebecca
cyncontemporary
handbags, Felt, knitt, crochet, metal,

www.kutz.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006 03:15:08 AM »

Do you know how can I design a banner for my etsy shop?

Thank you
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2006 06:58:55 PM »

I have a general idea on how to make banners for my etsy store, but I'm curious as to how others have been going about it.  They all look so professional!  Do you have people make them for you, or are you a whiz at photoshop?  Where do you get your graphics, do you make them yourselves?

Inquiring minds want to know!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

titancia
Are you a good twin or a bad twin?

It's Thistle with a Bobo on her head!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2006 07:10:45 PM »

I make most of my graphics... I use Jasc's PSP. They're at a higher version now, but I haven't moved past PSP7 because I love it so much. You can get a 30 day preview off their site to try as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sivi
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2006 08:23:33 AM »

I made mine using illustrator.  What I like about illustrator is that it is vector based and you could increase the size to for bus. cards, banner and so on without affecting the look.
 If you don't have illustrator, another good option is gimp.  I know that the gimp program is free and it does a good job.  It has many of the tools that photoshop has.
I am not a pro but its fun to play around with the programs until you have something you like.

Edited to add - If I remember correctly, the banner size should be 535 x 76 ?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2006 08:26:12 AM by sivi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knittinkitten
50's housewife with a tongue piercing

A girl can never have too many scarves...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2006 09:44:55 AM »

Alrighty then...but do you even make the stripes, the cats, all the other sorts of things in your banners?  I'm still wondering if people use clipart and combine them together or if everything is 100% from scratch.  I know it's possible to do that, I just don't know how.  I'm pretty good with Photoshop, but I have no idea how to do that stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

titancia
Are you a good twin or a bad twin?

It's Thistle with a Bobo on her head!

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2006 09:48:00 AM »

For the most part I do make that stuff from scratch... If I can't figure out how to do it, then normally I try to trace over a photo on another layer and that helps. You can find royalty free clipart so you don't have to worry about that kind of thing. The hard part is making it look like you didn't just paste cilpart on there. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sivi
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2006 10:00:19 AM »

DevianARt has a lot of brushes that you could download to do the fancy lines, stars, retro circles and so on.  DaFont has many font styles to choose from.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missamorphosis
"The man who has no imagination has no wings."~ Muhammad Ali

Butterflies, Buttons, & Crochet--ah, life is good!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2006 03:27:47 PM »

I use PSP 7, too, and have for years. I also use The Print Shop Pro Publisher, which is where I got the tree I use in my logo. I use the program for everything from business cards to fliers. But I made my banner in PSP.

You can look all over the web for free clip art. Just do a search for it. If you're looking for something in particular, you can add that to your search. Like if your shop has to do with babies, you could do a search on "free baby clipart" or something.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shade Tree Crochet (crochet/craft blog)
Stitch-Stirrers - prompts and other fun things for the crocheter
evolpixie

"I am like a tiger colt, rip rip RIP RIP!"

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2006 06:04:27 PM »

I did a search for 'free banner generator' and made a temporary one in less than 15 minutes. I didn't write down the site unfortunately  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i peddle tiny cuteness: * www.tinythingsarecu te.com *
prettynpink
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2006 02:15:23 PM »

For mine I used a photo I took of one of my designs and then edited it in Paint Shop Pro. Though I am currently working with my sister who is an artist to help me design a logo.

I'm sure if someone isn't as graphically talented could trade works with an artist. They would get exposure and something you made and you'd get a nice looking banner and maybe even logo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I finally updated my profile info!
licalee
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2006 09:10:54 PM »

I just thought I'd share the GIMP with everyone - It's an open source (free) program similar to photoshop. http://www.gimp.org/

I'll be making the graphics for my upcoming shop with it.

Open source means it's free and made by DIY computer geeks who like to make their own programs to "fit just right" quite a bit like us craftsters. They make the code public so computer-crafty people can change it to make it better for themselves and others if they like.  It is free to download and use - forever. To me it's kind of like a tutorial here on craftster (with obvious differences) - someone put a lot of work into making something great just for fun(ction) and they want to share it with others and let others improvise it to see what becomes of their ideas. 

I'm just a nut for anything public (tv, radio, museums, parks, libraries, wikipedia, craft forums) so I've been a huge fan of open source programs since I heard about linux in the mid 90's. Though I use the open source Firefox (http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/) as my web browser for all its extensions and features like tabbed browsing, favorites toolbar, supreme popup control (I can't remember the last time I had a popup) and things like outfoxed (a rating system for websites) I originally tried it because it was open source. I haven't gone back to any other web browser.

Open source stuff is amazing - just like a lot of the crafts here on craftster - custom made with ambition.

Here's more info on the GIMP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP

And more info on Firefox
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firefox

So if you know how to use but don't want to use/cant afford/don't like/would rather die than use photoshop give the GIMP a try. It has plenty of awesome extensions (cool things you can add to it - do a web search for "GIMP extensions"). The GIMP has so many cool options that people have developed on their own as extensions it really doesn't make any sense to pay for something inferior. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2006 09:13:25 PM by licalee » THIS ROCKS   Logged
lasandri
originator of the term "crackster", as in craftster is like crack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2006 11:24:44 PM »

i second the GIMP suggestion, 'cause i've used it once or twice and it seemed pretty straightforward. i'm a graphic designer so i work a lot on photoshop though, so i've never used it in depth but it seems like a good solution if you don't want to deal with photoshop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ilsunbum6
« Reply #18 on: December 26, 2006 11:40:23 AM »

hello, i want to open an etsy store and am somewhat computer stupid, what is the best way to make your banner?Huh? i have been kinda looking at all of them and they look nice i want mine to fit in so i am looking for helpful hints............th anks all
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Gardenofdaisies
Garden of Daisies Embroidery

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: December 26, 2006 03:09:10 PM »

Hi, Ilsunbum6,
I use a graphics program called XaraX by Corel. The banners need to be 760 pixels wide X 100 pixels high. You can see the results if you click the link to my etsy store - I made my banner with that program. Please ask any questions - I'm happy to talk you through it Smiley
JoAnn Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BitsyCreations
The eye sees a thing more clearly in dreams than the imagination awake. Leonardo DaVinci

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2006 06:41:48 PM »

I used photoshop to make mine.  I think you can use whatever program you want as long as the banner's the correct size--gardenofdaisies already told you that.

So hey if don't have any programs on your computer that you're familiar/comfortable with, just e-mail me & I'll make one for you.  I've made a couple & it's actually really nice because I'm learning how to use Photoshop better (I'm teaching myself).  I promise if you don't like it, you don't have to use it! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gardenofdaisies
Garden of Daisies Embroidery

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006 05:26:10 AM »

Like Bitsy, I should have offered to make one Smiley which I do now Smiley Feel free to email if my "style" appeals to you. (no charge Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

susa_cn
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2007 12:56:03 AM »

I made my banner with PS too. If you don't have software, you can download picasa,it's free and easy to use.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love crochet amigurumi...
http://susa.etsy.com
liasaun1
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2007 11:54:37 AM »

I used paint shop pro 8. I'm more into the "cute" and "funky" style, though, so let me know if you're interested and I'll consider making you one Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://omglia.com
Funky & colorful jewelry, clothing, &accessories
http://omgliastash.etsy.com
Destash and supply! Bead and charm lots!
My Blog!
PinkyK
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2007 11:58:24 AM »

I used print shop and it was fairly easy to do. The key is making sure you can save it as a photo with the proper dimensions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oriane
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2007 06:53:22 PM »

The GIMP is a nice free tool also if you can't afford a copy of Photoshop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Why buy something when you can make it? http://www.diyist.com
flurominx

Guerilla Embroidery!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2007 10:17:16 AM »

I am a complete dunce when it comes to anything remotely fancy on the computer. How do I make an etsy banner? Also can you customise etsy at all?
Thanks in advance
xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

JustCheeky
"The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." - Eleanor Roosevelt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008 07:52:55 PM »

Anyone know the dimensions that would be best for a blogger (blogspot) banner?  I'm thinking of making my own as well.  Also, thank you all for all of the resources - I've needed some guidance! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

deviousdarling
losing my mind one small step at a time

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2008 09:28:41 PM »

I am hoping to open my etsy store soon but I dont know how to make a banner. I am kind of technologically uninclined.....any ideas of linkys would be radtacular!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ta ta for now folks!
groooovy
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2008 12:03:57 PM »

There are people on Etsy that sell banners or there is a Tute on Etsy that will tell you how too.
Here's the link for instructions on Etsy, scroll down a bit for banner and avatar:
http://www.etsy.com/storque/section/howTos/article/a-beginners-guide-to-starting-a-shop-on-etsy/1721/

Banner making:
http://www.etsy.com/storque/section/howTos/article/skill-share-making-a-banner/641/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

deviousdarling
losing my mind one small step at a time

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2008 09:10:41 AM »

thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ta ta for now folks!
1majbubba
~Random Crafter~

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2009 06:17:43 PM »

I just made a banner using GIMP! I would recommend it if you kinda know what your doing( I didn't but I winged it and my first one turned out pretty good) It's free, which is why I used it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SandraV
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2012 10:19:20 PM »

You can try etsy banner maker. This was really helpful for me. This is tool enables you to create a banner for your etsy shop within seconds. Also you have possibility to order a custom banner.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2012 10:22:30 PM by SandraV » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn how to Texturize Hair - Applying the Relaxer
Learn how to Texturize Hair - Pre-Treatment
Learn to Texturize Hair
Learn how to Get a Natural Mohawk Hairstyle - Finishing Touches
Learn how to Get a Natural Mohawk Hairstyle - Customizing with Shears
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...