A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 301,550
Currently Running With Scissors:
496 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pot Luck help!?  (Read 975 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AEROplain747

Sometimes all you need is a little love...

View Profile
« on: January 02, 2006 10:39:27 PM »

Hi, I need to bring a main dish to a Post-Christmas party I'm going to on the 4th.
It has to be a main dish that feeds 15+ people.
I was thinking pizza, but that's too common.
Maybe either something easy to make/buy already prepared,
Not too expensive.
Any ideas? PLEASE  help me!
Thanks in advance!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
n u l l g a l
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2006 11:06:10 PM »

whenever i'm going to a potluck or whatever, i always make the same thing.  everyone loves it because its kind of homey, and sooo good.  here goes:

Chicken Stuff (my husband named this recipe)

serves- 6-8, easily doubled

Ingredients:

One pound of boneless, skinless chicken
2 cans of cream of chicken soup (i use the 99% fat free kind to cut down on the fat content)
Three cups of Pepperidge Farms cornbread stuffing mix UNPREPARED

Cook the chicken any way you'd like - baking, boiling, steaming, and when it is nice and done, shred or chop it into small bite sized bits.  Take a 9x13 pan or an 8x8 pan (or any size really, i use the large sized oval shaped Corningware dish when i make it) and put 1 and a half cups of the unprepared stuffing mix into it.  Mix the chicken with the soup (straight from the can, don't add milk or anything) and layer that in the pan next.  Top with the remaining stuffing mix.  Bake at 350 for 25 minutes. 

I promise, it's delicious, cheap and everyone will love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fear not, for I am with you.
Is. 41:10
pixiewhip

violently cute

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2006 11:54:41 PM »

I would do a giant veggie curry, after all the imbibing of the last two weeks a huge veggie dish would be great.
Basic instructions would be buy a bunch of whatever veggies are on sale, or if your lazy a jumbo bag of pre cut mixed veggies.  Warm up some oil in a pan, dump in curry paste and veggies and cook.  You could also add some tofu or meat or chickpeas.  Make sure too add enough curry paste.  If you use the precut veggies this will take you less than 20 minutes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tejer
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006 08:57:41 AM »

This is a DELICIOUS marinated chicken recipe. The chicken is best cooked on a grill, but is good cooked in the oven too. Thin chicken breasts work best for cooking.

Here is the recipe for the marinade. You need to marinade the chicken overnight (I think it's better that way).

1/2 cup Honey

1/2 cup Apple juice (I usually use the concentrate)

2 teaspoons Garlic Powder (make sure you use Garlic Powder, not Garlic Salt!)

1/2 teaspoon ground Ginger

1/2 cup Soy Sauce

1/2 cup Cider Vinegar

2/3 cup Vegetable Oil (I use Olive Oil rather than just Vegetable Oil)

This should all be mixed together in a blender and let the chicken set overnight in the refrigerator in the marinade.

You can put the chicken in the oven...just take it out of the marinade and put it in a baking dish. The recipe says to cook it at 350 degrees for 15 to 20 minutes in the oven. When grilled put it on the grill for about 14 to 15 minutes...7 minutes on each side (turning the chicken once).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GloryB
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I have a sewing machine, and I know how to use it

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006 12:58:30 PM »

I got a new Crockpot for Christmas,  I made this recipe New years day.  It was really good.  It makes a lot more then the 6 serving the recipe says it does.
http://www.hunts.com/gateway?page_name=R04RecipeDetail&waf.action=Hunts&recipeId=101258
THIS ROCKS   Logged
javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006 01:07:31 PM »

well you could always do a lasagne, I used to facilitate the potlucks at my church, and the best eaters were the things that people could easily identify! ALso, you could do cheese enchiladas (or chicken, but meat is pricey sometimes)... enchiladas are easy, just get the pre-made sauce from the "ethnic" foods section of you local Albertson's and follow the instructions (cheese and tortillas) serve with extra sauce and sour cream and you could also add rice and beans in another casserole dish. Also, I always make them with the large size tortillas and then cut them in half or even thirds, people always seem to want to eat a little of everything at a potluck! You could also do meatballs, if you have a costco around you, they have a great frozen bag of meatballs, and get some spaghetti sauce and Viola! you have meatballs... (you can do them in BBQ sauce or brown gravy too). Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
imagefetish
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006 01:17:05 PM »

maybe a curry or a hotpot?
tofu curry
1 box of tofu feeds about 5 people

1 box of tofu, cut into pieces
1 can of coconut milk
2 potatoes washed and cut into squares with skin
1 large carrot
a couple of tablespoons of curry ( I personally like madras curry)
4 cups of water
2 veggie bullion cubes.
garlic

Put water to boil with bullion in a pot while sauteeing garlic in a pan. Once oil is a little hot sautee veggies for about 5 minutes. Pour can of coconut milk and curry in pot.Once sauteed, pour veggies into pot with water. Let it cook for twenty minutes. Put tofu in and let it cook for another ten minutes, at least, but cook for a little longer if desired.
good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006 01:20:55 PM »

Bean and sausage soup. So very easy, especially if you have a crock pot.

Pick up a bag of mixed beans at the grocery store - about $2. Make sure that the one you buy has a little seasoning packet in it. I think there's a 13 bean or 15 bean mix that's one of my favorites.

Boil them to a brisk boil, then drain off the water (all the gassyness you get eating beans magicvally vanishes with this step)

Return to boil (or put into crock pot)

In a large skillet, cook up 3/4 - 1 lbs of meat. I use ground beef.. or ground turkey.. cubed ham, turkey, or, my favorite - sliced up sausage. Half hot and haldf sweet italian sausage is a great combination. Or bratwurst.. or any other sausage. Add one large onion, diced, and some garlic. Follow with one green pepper (optional). Add the seasoning packet that came with the beans. Add in one can of stewed or ticed tomatoes. For extra flavor, use one of the cans that already have seasoning in them - the italian, or the mediterranian one.

When everything in the skillet is cooked, add the whole gloppy mess to the the beans and let everything cook away till the beans are tender. In a crockpot, I put it on low for about 6 - 8 hours. In a pot, I cook it for atleast 4 hours. The crockpot is great because you can just set it overnight.

J
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
smrfchic
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2006 01:24:46 PM »

How about enchiladas?

This is my husband's favorite right now:

4-6 chicken breasts or chicken leg quarters, boneless/skinless
shredded mexican/taco blend cheese
sour cream
small can diced green chiles
small can sliced black olives
flour tortillas, for 15 people I'd suggest 3 dozen - that's 2 enchiladas per person plus a few leftovers. The soft taco size tortillas.
large can enchilada sauce

Shred up the cooked chicken (boiled, crockpot, baked, broiled, whatever you like).  Add in 1/2-1 cup sour cream, and as much of the chiles and olives as you like. Add about 1/3 of the bag of cheese, reserving the rest.   Pour some of the enchilada sauce into a shallow bowl, and dip each tortilla into it before placing some of the chicken mixture inside and rolling it up, tucking in the ends.  Pour 1/2 of the enchilada sauce into the bottom of a large baking dish. Place each enchilada into the dish, then top with the rest of the sauce and the rest of the cheese. Bake at 350* for 30 minutes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Sadie ~*~
Oh, for corn's sake!
AEROplain747

Sometimes all you need is a little love...

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2006 01:42:09 PM »

THanks for all the ideas guys!! <3333
I might try the enchiladas or perhaps a soup. They all sound so delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Stretch
How to do the cow face stretch
How To Write Query Letters
Gerbera Daisies from Afloral & How To Use Them
How to Make a Calla Lily Boutonniere
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Candy, Anyone?
Crafty Kitchen
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...