A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,536
Currently Running With Scissors:
353 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New member... new hobby...  (Read 4240 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BadBird
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2006 09:39:05 PM »

I'm oldish too!  There is nothing cooler than a man that sews.  Beautiful work, can't wait to see more!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.andreazuill.com - Paintings and Embroidery
www.badbird.etsy.com - Art Prints and Embroidery patterns
http://zuill.us/andreablog/
PapaJames
Crafty Grandpa

I'm a man and I quilt... got a problem with that?

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2006 07:01:16 PM »

hello again papajames! 
i just wanted to let you know that since i posted last to admire you and your quilting skills you inspired me to try my hand at putting a quilt top together!  soooooo i did it!  and i really like how it is turning out so far.  i am thinking that i need to add a border to make it a little wider but for my first quilt i am very pleased thus far!   

Wow!  It's a great feeling to know that I actually inspred someone!  What an awesome compliment... thank you!  And I'm very proud of you for taking the initiative to give it a shot.  I find quiltmaking very relaxing and it takes my mind off everything else.  And the satisfaction of finishing a quilt is a great reward!

i will try to post what i have got here in a day or two...and i know that i need to get batting and a back piece for my quilt...but i am sorta confused as far as the binding goes....is there a chance you can direct me to a good explanation of this...?

I used The New Quilting by Machine from Singer book almost exclusively to learn the ropes.  I highly recommend it to anyone just starting quiltmaking.  It pretty much covers everything you need from start to finish.  I hear about alot of people having trouble with the binding... I learned from the book, then taught my wife how to do it!

i am pretty new to sewing and VERY new to quilting, and i sorta learn as a i go, but i would appreciate any advice!  thank you so much for the inspiration!  you totally rock!
 Smiley
angie

ps. how did you do the quilting part?  did you do it by hand or machine?  which is the best?  thanks again!

I did everything by machine except for tacking the ends of the binding.  I quilted using whats called a "hanging diamond" because it's straight stitching.  I have a walking foot for our sewing machine which really helps against bunching.

Thanks for the kind words Angie!  I'm anxious to see your masterpiece!

PapaJames

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Even a fool seems wise when he keeps his silence!
cmoore
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2006 02:42:43 PM »

I concur with the book recommendation, PapaJames. The Singer books are great for learning. I always recommend the Quilting Bible to beginners as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sandygirl
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2006 04:36:46 PM »

Rosie Grier used to knit or crochet or something remember?  who cares!  Creativity knows no gender!  Keep it up!
Sandygirl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Homerof2
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Loving life being a full-time wife

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2006 12:56:41 PM »

Wow, your Stacking the Squares actually made me gasp  Shocked when I saw it - it's amazing!  Can't wait to see future projects!

I'm putting this pattern on my 'to make' list!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2006 01:04:06 PM »

While both quilts look great, Stacking the Squares is truly beautiful.  Awesome work.  How hard was the Stacking quilt? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DMQT #30 - Final Cut Pro - Renaming Files and ...
Creating a Reflection with Photoshop
How to Import an Illustrator File in After Effects
How to use Photoshop Actions
How to Burn and Dodge in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #107: Bottle It Up Winner!
Tute Tuesday: Whitman's Sampler
The Zombie Trend: Now... Sheep!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...