A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,022
Currently Running With Scissors:
565 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Norwegian Stockings KAL  (Read 13025 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lilgothkatt
« Reply #70 on: April 21, 2006 11:03:54 AM »

soooo....what? no one wants to admit how much they paid? I was thinking mine were pricey about $40 luckily I was comissioned for a purse and she paid for it in my yarn + $20. I'm really curious how much people spent on this project because someone tole me $40 was a lot for a pair of socks and I explained, yes it is but it will give me hours of enjoyment while I make them and a lot of pride when I'm done.

BTW, I'm down to the heel flap on my first one. I'm having a really hard time understanding the pattern but my socks look right. It just takes me awhile to figure out what it is I'm doing.

-lilgothkatt
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.Ibreedsockmonkeys.etsy.com

www.wists.com/lilgothkatt

I have a bunch of vintage linens for trade. Looking for neat halloween fabrics, day of the dead stuff, star wars stuff.
loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2006 11:32:35 AM »

soooo....what? no one wants to admit how much they paid? I was thinking mine were pricey about $40
-lilgothkatt

I haven't bought yarn for this project yet, but I was pricing it out a little while ago, and no matter what yarn I bought, it seemed like it was going to be a pricey project. I may not start this till fall because I have so many things on the go, and these are wintery type things...anyhoo...

what yarn did you end up buying? Falk?

Emms Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilgothkatt
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2006 11:52:11 AM »

I plan on making two pair of these. I ended up buying my yarn from my LYS and my socks are in a kind of grey scale. the yarn is Plymouth yarn Suri Merino. These will be my "adult" socks and then I plan on making my fun socks next. Do you guys think if you used a differnt type of yarn it's be light enough to wear in supper? like maybe a fine cotton yarn or something?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a bunch of vintage linens for trade. Looking for neat halloween fabrics, day of the dead stuff, star wars stuff.
ijsblokje
is superbacana

gypsy punk

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 21, 2006 03:18:28 PM »

I have holes in my heel.  I know it's from the slipped stitches, but I don't really know how to avoid them.  I think I'm just going to tighten them up with some spare yarn when I'm done with the sock. 

Mine were expensive at all since I'm using 5 balls of knitpicks palette.   2 ash, 2 sky, 2 mint  that's about $8.95
I have some more palette in some other colors.  I'll definitely have enough to make more of these socks.  So I think I'll have 1 pair of demure socks and one pair of crazy socks.  nothing wrong with that  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilgothkatt
« Reply #74 on: April 21, 2006 06:13:53 PM »

light enough to wear in supper?
ROFL, that was supposed to be suMMer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ijsblokje
is superbacana

gypsy punk

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: April 21, 2006 07:07:36 PM »

ok.. question.  Do you think it would prevent holes if i treated the turning the heel like a short row and wrapped that slipped stitch?  I kind of skimmed the blahblah how to stuff and I think she said something about holding the yarn up?  I really need to go back and read that stuff, because I really do not want holey socks.

How did you people do it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

spudsayshi
« Reply #76 on: April 22, 2006 07:58:54 AM »

I got fed up with the heel gusset after two tries, both of which were uncomfortable, and so did an afterthought heel, instead.

And cost?  I spenT $40, but had I known how much yarn I wouldn't need, I could have spent $25 (I didn't touch two skeins of the main color, and one of the main contrast color, and of course used only a tiny bit of the flower color from the top).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ijsblokje
is superbacana

gypsy punk

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 24, 2006 09:31:33 AM »

I decided I just wouldn't be happy with the heel if I kept it the way it was.. and I'm not great at adapting patterns, especially socks as I've never completed a sock before..
so I decided to make it into a Norwegian legwarmer.  ha
I ripped back to where the heel flap started, worked straight a bit in pattern, then increased and worked in pattern until it was the right length.  I ended with 3 rows of k2p2.  To be honest, I think I'd wear these a lot more often than socks.

now I just need to make another one. I'll probably have action shots when both are finished, so you can see the length, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

deirs
« Reply #78 on: April 24, 2006 06:08:25 PM »

I'm also using Knit Picks palette, putting it under $10, but I'm now wishing I'd gotten some different yarn. To those who also used the Palette, what size needles are you using? I wasn't getting gauge on size 3 addis (so 3.25mm), and tried some 2.75 mm needles, but didn't get gauge on them either. Since I had the size 3s, I just decided to go with them, and adapted the pattern, basically just adding another repeat of the leg pattern. However, my fair isle is tight, and they're looking kind of crappy. I think I'm going to just frog and start over. Knitting looser may solve my problems but if not, I don't know what I'll do about them. I've been in a knitting rut, and don't have the money to spend on more yarn, so I'm been knitting a lot of things over and over again.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ijsblokje
is superbacana

gypsy punk

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 24, 2006 08:13:49 PM »

I used US 3 needles and my gauge was ever so slightly smaller than what the pattern calls for, but it fits and that's what counts.
The key to fair isle is keeping it looser than you normally would.  My first foray into fair isle was a disaster because I was pulling all the little floats tight, so it ended up way way too small.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Will a digital camera make picture taking easier?
What is the difference between film and digital cameras?
How to Light Eyes Properly in a Movie or Photo
How to Take Better Pictures Part 1
How to Clean a Digital SLR Sensor
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...