A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,215
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Short-row hat...  (Read 2826 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crafty mama
ooh. snap crackle poop.

I'm a llama's mama!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2005 11:34:32 PM »

Whoops, I'm using SWTC karaoke (disclosure, I work for them, I had some lying around) and I did not swatch for gauge (end result, baby gets a new hat!), and I'm not having a problem with the instructions, it's just that my hat does not look exactly like the picture. My triangles are a little puffy and the decreases are (despite my best efforts) a little gappy. I'm not unhappy with the way it has turned out and I'm not complaining as I fully understand the risks of knitting without swatching, and I promise those of you who are anxious on my account that if it were a bigger or more labor intensive project I would totally swatch. This was just something that I thought would look good in a yarn I had on hand and the pattern looked interesting, ergo, nonthinking cast on in post christmas knitting stupor. But any thoughts on better short row technique would be welcome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under my mattress
I keep boxes of beautiful dreams
And late at night
When no one’s in sight
They come out and whisper to me - J,LC
kwicz
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2005 10:16:59 AM »

The knitty hat is cuter in one color, I think.  I made a couple in Wool-Ease Chunky with Meg Swanson's knit-on I-cord edging (see pic, below) to get a feel for the shaping and keep the heads around me warm.  With short rows, I like to wrap and turn, then pick up the wraps as I knit back.  It's hard to explain without pictures, but it does eliminate gapitis.  Goodness knows my short-row shaping would be full of holes without that little trick!  Oh, I found a video on KnittingHelp.com, scroll down to find 'short row with wrap':  http://www.knittinghelp.com/knitting/advanced_techniques/ 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

crafty mama
ooh. snap crackle poop.

I'm a llama's mama!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2006 09:51:47 PM »

It's not technically finished (I haven't done the circle at the top) but I posted a picture of my IK hat to my blog
craftymama.blogspot.com

I did like three different techniques for the first time on this hat, and screwed up each one in its own way, but hey, I did end up with a wearable hat (if only for a toddler), so it's alright with me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under my mattress
And late at night
When no one’s in sight
medusa
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2006 09:05:13 AM »

Wow, I'm impressed with everyone projects and skills!!! Well, my first mistake was to try and make the hat with 3 colors. Wrong. Then I messed with the k11[k2tog]6 times. I think I was just trying too hard, I made that stupid mistake. But, I'm gonna go and buy some 3 colors  yarn and  I should be fine thanks again!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bunicula
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2006 06:21:54 AM »

I immediately knew I wanted to make this hat when I saw it in IK.  I just started it this weekend with some Silk Garden from my stash.   Unfortunately, I just found this post about somebody else who tried this and wasn't pleased with the result... http://purlywhites.typepad.com/purly_whites/2006/01/veronik_averys_.html

I'm going to push on with it anyway though..

THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty mama
ooh. snap crackle poop.

I'm a llama's mama!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006 08:25:21 AM »

I have deleted this post as I find it incredibly embarrassing to have said. I apologize and will be adjusting my medications accordingly. Thank you.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006 08:39:09 PM by crafty mama » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under my mattress
And late at night
When no one’s in sight
urraca
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006 12:00:33 PM »

Medusa, I just finished mine. It fits beautifully (and I have a huge head). When worn, the losanges aren't puffy at all nor gappy (and when flat, they're hardly puffy anyway). My yarn has very long colour repeats, so I got blocks of several adjoining losanges in the same hues (which look closer in the pirctures than in real life), instead of just a couple of them as in the original picture, but I am pleased anyway.

My advice: As said before by others, just follow the pattern. It'll make sense eventually.
And save a bit of yarn in the same colour as the first triangles to knit the last two triangles, so as not to draw attention to the seam.

BTW, this blogger knit three of them in three different colourways of the original yarn:
http://knitstricken.blogspot.com/2005/12/christmas-favourites-2005.html
http://knitstricken.blogspot.com/2005/12/frhliche-weihnachten.html

Crafty mama, I fail to see the rip off. Lion Brand's is modular knitting. Veronik Avery's uses short rows (very cleverly at that).

Sera3125 and Starghoti, I'd advise Katia Mexico or Berroco Foliage as a subtitution yarn. I got gauge with a similar Italian yarn, but the colour repeats are too long in mine. Katia Mexico's are shorter so the result should be closer to the original (which has very short repeats = narrow stripes and, here, more variety in losange colours). Katia Mexico is cheap in Europe, not so much across the pond, I know. You'll need just over a ball (around 95m, a ball is 90m).

Kwicz, I knit two Tychus hats before that and even when I tried wrapping the stiches I still got holes (I think it has to do with the use of several colours on top of the short rows).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2006 12:02:11 PM by urraca » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Churras con merinas (my blog in French)
Ibérica de punto (my website in Spanish - in construction)
medusa
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2006 12:19:08 PM »

OOhhhh wow urraca , that is just soooo beautiful! I bought some yarn, not fluffy or anything, but long stripes of colors, I will see if I can make it... I'm sure I can with the right yarn... I have to say I'm impressed with your skills!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crafty mama
ooh. snap crackle poop.

I'm a llama's mama!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2006 01:19:49 PM »

Alright, I retract my earlier accusation. It was rash. I apologize.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Under my mattress
And late at night
When no one’s in sight
irissch
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2006 07:24:21 PM »

I wrote this pattern:
http://pages.e-yarn.com/6030/PictPage/1922210660.html
and it also uses short rows to mimic "modular" knitting.  Lion Brand's description does not really explain that.  That's the concept of my book Modular Knits.  I use short rows so that the same yarn can be used continuously from beginning to end without any stitches being picked up or yarn being cut.

Veronik's hat in Interweave is completely original and lovely in it's own right, with really clever construction.  My "lozenges" in the Mosaic Hat are on the diagonal, as are the setup triangles.  Hers are straight across.  So we both use short rows, but very differently.  She's a brilliant designer and her hat is very different than mine.  Just wanted to clarify this.
Iris Schreier
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Prettiest, Two-Product Makeup Look!
How to Look Wide-Awake for Your First Day of School
Try a Glossy Eye And Matte Lip Look!
Inside the Beauty Closet: Kool Aid Lipstain
Aubrey Plaza Cosmo Dor Latinas Cover Shoot
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Molded Hot Glue
More Amazing Matchboxes
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...