A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,582
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Short-row hat...  (Read 2729 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

medusa
« on: December 28, 2005 06:19:21 PM »

Did anyone tried to knit the short-row hat by Véronik Avery?

http://www.interweave.com/knit/interweave_knits/web_projects/win_05/Short-Row-Hat.pdf

It is so difficult I have no idea how to do it...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shellah
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005 09:36:51 PM »

I hadn't seen it before (now that I've seen it, I love the hat, though!), but the pattern looks more or less straightforward to me. What specifically are you having trouble with?

For the most part, with short-row patterns you just have to trust the directions and follow them exactly. And it magically works out in the end. Smiley

Michelle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
medusa
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2005 08:31:30 AM »

hehe, the problem is probably me and not the pattern!!! I've been knitting since i was a child and it's the first time i'm having problems with a pattern, because I always try and try and try and try until I get it. For setting up the section A it says to cast on 40 stitches. At the end of section A it says to K11,[k2tog]6times, k11. How could we go from 40 stitches to 89 I havent seen anything about increasing... Other thing is on a transition, you need to wyf? I've searched the internet but couldn't find what it is. I think the magazine comes with an explanation, but it's an old issue and I don't have it... Any help would be nice! Thank you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Fozziebear54
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2005 08:48:26 AM »

I just looked at the pattern, and I don't see anything about having 89 stitches... As far as  I can tell, at the end of section A you should still have 40 stitches. (The pattern calls for 6 yarn-overs, and then decreases 6 times at the very end, leaving you still with 40.)

Unless I'm very much mistaken, "wyf" means "with yarn forward." I don't think the intent of that is to increase, it's just to wrap the yarn around the slipped stitches. So, before you slip the stitch, bring the yarn to the front of the needle. Then slip the stitch, and put the yarn back where it's supposed to be, without wrapping it over the needle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shellah
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005 08:50:47 AM »

Yeah...Most of your problems are what I alluded to before--with short-row patterns, you just have to DO it and trust that it'll work. You're only working some of the stitches, then turning with stitches still on your right-hand needle, which makes things like counting the stitches in the pattern really difficult. I rather wish she'd included stitch counts on at least some of the rows so that you can spot check sometimes to be sure you're on the right track (I've been trying out this pattern since last night, because I have a scarf that would look pretty good with that hat...not sure I have enough yarn left though!).

Anyway...In section A, you're doing a YO at the beginning of every WS row, so that's where the increases are coming from. However, (and this threw me for a moment, too) the line you're referring to only works across 34 stitches before turning, not 89. She uses [] to indicate repeats, instead of the *'s we're more accustomed to (or at least I am!). So "k11, [k2tog] 6 times, k11" means you'll k11, then k2tog 6 times (not repeating the initial k11), then k11 again before turning.

Finally, "wyif" means "with yarn in front"--she's just telling you to keep the yarn in front when you slip the first stitch. I don't know whether you're supposed to slip knitwise or purlwise, though. I slipped purlwise when I got there. It probably doesn't make a huge difference anyway. Wink

Hope that helped! And feel free to ask if anything else throws you--for some reason, I'm really good at interpreting written patterns. Smiley

Michelle

(By the way, this pattern is from the Winter 2005 issue, but it's a web-only pattern so that's probably all the explanation there is--beyond the article on short rows in the magazine.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kwicz
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005 10:58:18 AM »

You might try Tychus from the summer '05 Knitty http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEsummer05/PATTtychus.html
.  It uses short rows, but explains a bit better.  Then go back and do the IK hat; it'll make way more sense!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sera3125
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005 07:45:19 PM »

On another note. I am thinking I might try this pattern also but would like to find a yarn substitution, any suggestions? I like the variegation but would like to find a yarn I can find in the US.
Thanks so much, in advance!
Sera
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starghoti
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005 11:29:04 PM »

Like Sera, I'm looking for a yarn sub for this hat.  What are you other knitters using?  I think the original yarn looks beautiful and I wish it was available locally, or at least for less money.  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
medusa
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2005 06:22:06 AM »

Hello everyone, I really appreciate the help i'm getting from everyone! It's really nice from you guys! I will try and try again, with all the new explanations I got from all of you, and I will also try the knitty hat, that I don't find particularly pretty, but in another color could be nice, just so that way I understand the short-row thing a little better. Thanks for the suggestion! About the yarn,  I'm using Red heart Symphony. The yarn the designer is using in not available localy + knitting with that kind of yarn is so expensive for a project I'm not even sure I'll end up liking and/or finishing! But I think I got the same gauche, so it should be ok, we'll see at the end! And I'll post pictures... Good luck with that project, and PLEASE if you end up finishing it, could you please post pictures of it, I would really love to see what you're doing! Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shellah
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2005 06:41:13 AM »

Sera3125 and starghoti (is that meant to be read "starfish"? hee!):

The called-for yarn appears to be roughly worsted weight, at 240 yards per 100g. For comparison, Cascade 220 is 220 yards per 100g, slightly heavier than the Ami-Ami. I started mine with some handpaintedyarn (Malabrigo) merino worsted that I have leftover from a scarf. I have no idea whether I'm getting gauge (it's a hat, so I don't care so much--it'll either fit or it won't Cheesy), but it looks pretty good. The big problem is that I don't know if I'll have enough yarn...heh.

The hat is listed as being 18", which is a bit small for an adult, I think. (My head is more like 21"!) So if you err on the side of slightly heavier yarn, I think you'll be fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Selection of Pies
Gingerbread Deserts
Peppermint Perfection Deserts
How to Make Eggnog Pound Cake
Warm Cinnamon Apples Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...