A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
604 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Éire (Ireland)?  (Read 15868 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

midgetflynn
« Reply #70 on: June 24, 2008 04:42:54 AM »

And yes, there are CRAZY amounts of charity shops here, but unfortunately I've never found anything good or worthwhile. I envy the American counterparts. I had given up on the ones here, but maybe I'll have another look now that I'm a Craftster  Wink
In terms of finding clothes to wear,I think there are a few good charity shops,depending on where you look.There are 6 alone on North Main Street,I find Enable Ireland is the best one here.on the street just off North Main Street(on your way to Patrick Street,can't remember the name,sorry)there's another one,can't remember the exact charity,I know it's a breast cancer one,that can be very good at times.I've never had a chance to check out the ones near the Cork Art Supplies,so I don't know what they are like.

Also,I noticed the other day in Ennis that a craft shop as opened up,but I saw it at night when it was closed,so I don't know what it's like
THIS ROCKS   Logged
poppycock!!
« Reply #71 on: November 18, 2009 02:45:13 PM »

Hi there. Another jewel to add to the Dublin shops would be TWI fabrics on Mountjoy square. It's like a warehouse type place but it sells to anyone they also run that shop on parnell street that was mentioned a few posts back (I can't recall the name either, lol.) Everything is a little bit cheaper than in shops around the city centre like I bought a rotary cutter there for 7.99 that was 14 in the Woolen Mills (and the Woolen mills are generally cheaper than hickey's I find)

Here are a few other notices for crafty Heads:
You have to check out the Crafty Market on the 6th of Dec for the christmas shopping and consider selling yourself there someday, no insurance or hefty portfolio necessary and its only 30euro.
http://www.thecraftymarket.com/

Also I have a little old craft blog meself which linked in my signature.
However The Crafty Ireland group blog is crammed full of Irish News and stuff so check it out for sure:
http://etsyireland.blogspot.com/

Weew that was a long post!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilwyrdsis
« Reply #72 on: February 06, 2010 05:07:37 AM »

whereabouts is Trimmings located now?

Hey - new to the forum - just joined this morning. I mainly make jewellery and bead - been at it a few years now Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thingsivemade
Trying to sew the fabric of the universe with invisible thread is tricky.

A wielder of karma and scissors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2010 09:56:56 AM »

I think it's moved to upstairs in the Woollen Mills on Liffey Street, I was there not so long ago.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can have whirlpools in the fabric of existence, because it is a very strange fabric." - Terry Pratchett (Equal Rites)
Lanysmiles
the conscience midget

it helps to smile, once in a while

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #74 on: April 14, 2010 02:46:05 AM »

Hi!
I've been on craftster for longer than I've been signed up, but I also find the choice here in Irleand abysmal!

And as a student i cant afford to go abroad to get my fabric fix! Sad

I mainly try to save any money earned to get fabric off etsy as its so much cheaper than hickeys etc (I go to college in UL but am on co-op here in Cork atm)
I like the crafts shops in cork but, again very expensive!
The wool shops in both cities are nice, i like Lenas in Lim-they wont bother you but they are very approachable and not a bit hostile
(lol! praising shops for doing what they're meant to be doing anyway!!)
I like the wool shop in the english market (in a little mall area next to claires on Patricks Street)  in Cork, its got a nice atmosphere!

but wool seems to be very expensive-not the arcrylic stuff but real wool- and it doesnt seem to be any cheaper online so I would reccomend those two as the nicest places to buy wool in cork and lim, the staff are friendly in both, but not down your throat feriendly-which is off putting.
I like going into Hickeys to feel the fabric (that sounded much less creepy in my head!) but its just SO expensive! Its kind of disheartening!

My mother said that years ago, when she was an avid knitter that even in the small (approx 3000 population) town where we live that there was 5fully stocked wool shops, with decent pricing!
When did all this start to disappear? Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #75 on: April 14, 2010 03:16:29 AM »

it all started to go when we stopped doign any kind of craft..shame really, they mostly stopped teaching it in schools so that didn't help. I do think it is on the way back though...slowly
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thingsivemade
Trying to sew the fabric of the universe with invisible thread is tricky.

A wielder of karma and scissors

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: April 14, 2010 06:22:11 AM »

I would imagine the boom would have started this off. Years ago, knitting and crochet would have been a bit of a necessity, particularly in rural areas when nipping into the city centre wasn't always an option. Then as the boom started, people stopped crafting out of necessity and just bought the item they wanted (possibly due to time restraints placed by new demanding jobs).
 Also, prices would be another thing. Years ago, back when it was a necessity rather than an enjoyable craft, there wouldn't have been a huge amount of money in the market, so these shops would have had to sell cheaply, but now can afford to make a bit more of a profit.

I wish I could help you with finding some nice decently cheap online shops for wool and fabric but I've also been quite broke and unable to buy anything online. *sigh* soon hopefully! If I come across any decent sites, I'll let you know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You can have whirlpools in the fabric of existence, because it is a very strange fabric." - Terry Pratchett (Equal Rites)
Aka_Breeno

Crazy is as crazy looks!

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 18, 2010 05:42:16 PM »

Hey just found this post and BOY do I agree!! ireland is about as usefull as a chocolate teapot as far as fabrics and crafts's is concerned. Hickeys is a joke, even on the good days you'l be luck to get a scowl and a meter of fabric for less than your left arm!  Roll Eyes

A mate told me that she goes to Dublin Woolen Mill on Lower Ormond Quay..think its on the corner just before halfpenny bridge? Has anybody else been there?? Fraid I live in Dunleer, just outside Dogheda...(real culchie land!lol) and Id like to know what its like before I set out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/breeno

Up for personal swaps especially inchies, ATC's and twinchies! Cheesy

Currently crafting my first Quilt! ..Any help,hints or Sanity Pills ( Tongue ) is greatly appreciated!
edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #78 on: April 19, 2010 06:22:07 AM »

Aka_Breeno 

I was there about a year ago...still very expensive, I tend to just buy as much fabric as i can whenever I am overseas and stockpile...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Get Soft, Smooth Lips
Top Head Accesories For the Summer
5 Products to Help You Look Great Post-Flight
Eyeliner to Make Your Eyes Pop
Summer Skin Care Products
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...