A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
726 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Éire (Ireland)?  (Read 15525 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

IrishAngel
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2007 03:56:30 PM »

Ah I just found this forum today, so Im brand new here  Smiley
Does anyone know any good craft shops or places around Dundalk I could get some fabrics?
Its a pain having to go all the way back to Dublin, or Newry.
..I should get a car lol..
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sirensrising
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2007 06:38:39 AM »

Most of these have already been mentioned, but here's my up-to-date list for craft shops in Cork:

1. Cork Art Supplies - they have the supplies for most arts and crafts.
http://www.corkartsupplies.com/store/

2. Vibes and Scribes Art Shop (it's on Lavitt's Quay, and a little bit down the street is one of their two bookshops with an amazing art history/photography/art selection, and they're really cheap) - sells loads of craft books, probably the biggest bead selection you'll find here, papers, paints, inks, wool, kid's craft supplies, sketchbooks, Fimo (small selection), ribbons, scrapbooking supplies and jewellery making supplies. I love the Vibes and Scribes chain here, I have to say.

3. Cork Craft Supplies (in Tesco on Paul St.) - I find myself going here a lot. It's only a little shop, but it's the best place for a great selection of embroidery thread, aida, waste canvas, stabiliser etc and all that sort of needlework supplies (I consider it a needlework shop, really). They also sell a small selection of beads, cross-stitch kits, fabric dyes, ribbons, possibly wool (but if they do it's not a huge collection, sorry I can't remember) and small booklets about stitches and stuff.

4. Joyces (same street as Cork Art Supplies) - I don't really consider Joyces a craft shop as much, but you might find something there. They have a lot of books and toys and kits and stuff. Craft-wise, I think it's most paper and glitter type stuff, and a bit extra. It's ususally pretty expensive though.

5. I know there's a yarn/wool shop somewhere - I think it might even be just opposite Cork Art Supplies, but if not there it's one of the sides streets parallel to it. It's pretty small, and it has a lot of knitted stuff in the window. I can't vouch for the quality, selection or prices, because I don't knit, but it's there.

6. Hickeys (in the Savoy and near B&Q opposite Mahon Point) - I went in there looking for fabric paint (doesn't seem to exist here, I'm afraid) and took a look at the fabric while I was there - can't say I was impressed. Also sells wool, embroidery thread, and other scraps of supplies (buttons, scissors, whatever). And when I went to one of the desks to ask about the paint, the women were all talking for ages and basically ignored me  Roll Eyes

7. Easons - art supplies, paints, sketchbooks, paper, etc.

8. Penneys - not a craft shop but it's good for really cheap clothes to decorate, embellish, reconstruct or use for fabric.

And yes, there are CRAZY amounts of charity shops here, but unfortunately I've never found anything good or worthwhile. I envy the American counterparts. I had given up on the ones here, but maybe I'll have another look now that I'm a Craftster  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists beyond measure are man's greatest treasure... Wink
Come check out my art and craft blog and say hello! LAST UPDATED: 7th September!
My artwork at Etsy!
kmsmaverick
« Reply #62 on: August 03, 2007 01:33:08 PM »

i saw that there is a knitting and stitching show in dublin the first weekend of november, how nice for me as that's the weekend we'll be in dublin! I wonder if anyone has seen a list of the vendors that are going to be selling things? specifically i'd like to see what irish vendors and Irish wool/yarn companies will be there. it seems sort of silly to bring home rowan or debbie bliss yarn when that is relatively easy to find here in the states. i really rather bring home something only available in ireland.

can anyone help me either with a vendor list, or yarn companies i should be on the lookout for when i go to This Is Knit and Springwools?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #63 on: August 11, 2007 05:05:15 AM »

I have just come back from a trip to the UK and while its not in Ireland you should know about abakhan fabrics. they have a website  http://www.abakhan.co.uk/ and a number of branches, I visited the one on Mostyn in North Wales, the reason this is relevant is becuase if you ever take the ferry to Birkenhead or to Hollyhead you are not too far away.

it is well worth the trip, they have a huge range of fabrics and wools. I am not a knitter so I didnt pay too much attention to the wool, but the fabrics are mostly mill ends, sold by the roll (I got a roll of fine linen about 15 metres left on the roll, narrow width, but only about 10stg) also lots of fabric sold by weight, we got a lot of fabulous fur fabric again cheap. Bridal fabrics, there was a roll of heavily embroidered fabric at 55stg per metre, I saw the exact same stuff for over 100stg per metre in London. (I didnt buy any of this, just lusted over it)

We bought a ton of stuff, they also sell craft items, some foams, threads (50p a spool) ribbon cord, etc etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saor
Crafting for more years than I care to remember!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #64 on: August 11, 2007 05:29:27 AM »

I wish I had heard about them before.... We were on holiday in that area in June. Maybe next time Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hapakolea

Hapa here...where's the nearest fabric shop?

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 17, 2007 10:42:32 PM »

There is a very good fabric shop on Parnell across from ILAC and down the road from the new Chapters location. They have a very decent selection downstairs and the staff are nice and helpful. I think adjoining the shop is a sewing machine store called Sewing World or something. Sorry I can't remember the name of the fabric shop itself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Really, I need more fabric...
mrs munch
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2007 03:03:20 PM »

KMSMaverick - the website of the organisers of the Knitting and Stitching show is http://www.twistedthread.com/.

For Irish vendors you could do worse than having a look at http://www.olannban.net/ As for Irish wool companies Sad not so much. Kilcarra is lovely and I know Springwools have some. There's also Craftspun http://www.knitting-wools.com/ stocked by This is Knit. Tivoli is Irish afaik too http://www.tivolispinners.ie/ should be some in Hickeys and other shops.

Have a good trip!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nearlythere
« Reply #67 on: May 25, 2008 02:27:57 PM »

is anyone else going to the Dublin Knitting in Public Day?

http://www.wwkipday.com/find_kip.htm?kipid=160

It is organised by http://knittingneels.com/

Last year looks like it was alot of fun. I saw some photos around. Not sure if I can make it to Dublin though.

Anyone around Sligo want to do something on that day?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

devynos
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2008 04:28:43 AM »

I'm a new crocheter (doesn't quite have the same ring as knitter), but that does look fun. I'm in Dublin, so might try to make it there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nearlythere
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2008 05:00:55 AM »

I'm a crocheter too mainly Smiley

So you and I can form a posse there.. a posse of... two? Is that possible?

Anyway! The flyer says it is "not knitting exclusive"... but really, the name is kinda misleading.

I suppose World Wide Making Things with Pokey Sticks and Yarn Day isn't as catchy, no?

What will you be working on? I think I'll be making something ridiculously tiny so I can finish it in one day. I'm thinking - a bear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jennifer Weiner Talks About Fly Away Home
Play Dead Book Trailer
Jennifer Weiner Talks About Best Friends Forever
Jenny Gardiner Talks About Winging it
Farai Chideya Reveals Where She Would Like to Be
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...