A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,600
Currently Running With Scissors:
714 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Éire (Ireland)?  (Read 15524 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

feminine_earth
« Reply #50 on: April 06, 2007 09:07:32 AM »

Ya know...I was just thinking.  Do any of you shop for fabrics at markets?  My husband was telling me that he used to fix computers for an Indian family who had a market stall in town, and they used to sell beautiful silks from India.

Is this a common thing?  In your experience, do most markets have at least one or two fabric stalls?  And if so, where are these markets?  I'd love to visit them. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~Missy~*~
Saor
Crafting for more years than I care to remember!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #51 on: April 08, 2007 08:11:01 AM »

Maybe in Dublin. The one in Galway doesn't. Do stock up on fabrics- it's hard to get cool stuff here.

Another thing- if there is something small you use a lot in your crafting that you like a lot - like a certain type of interfacing or shrinky dinks, say,- stock up on them. You would be amazed at the lack of supplies there are here that people in other countries take fro granted.

You will be near enough to Northern Ireland to be able to pop over the Border to look for stuff. I have never shopped for craft supplies in the North but I am told there is nothing much there.

There are a few good shops scattered over Ireland but they have all been mentioned in this thread I think.

Like Edel I get supplies mainly from the internet and from private swaps. If I see something cool in a shop I tend to stock up on it. And I stock up in the Yellow Brick Road for beads when I am in Dublin.

Paper crafting (card making and scrap booking) has taken off here so there  are better paper supplies available but it is still limited.

Good luck with the move - it's a big step.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #52 on: April 08, 2007 12:40:02 PM »

I used to shop a lot in indian market stalls, but in London, I havent found any yet in Ireland, but I dont shop in Dublin much so there might be some there. You could always pop over to London shopping for the day as its cheap and fast, it seems a bit drastic I know but its sometimes nice to breathe really big city air!

And yes good luck on the move, I have moved from Ireland and back (more than once) and it is a big step, so if you ever need to chat about it, the culture shock, the craft shop withdrawals etc, pm me!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

edelC
Tutorial Contributor

find love everywhere

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2007 06:47:44 AM »

Has anyone noticed that Hickeys are now doing a range of craft fabrics, (mind you they could have been doing that for ages and I've only just noticed I avoid going in there if I can)

pretty ordinary prints from about 13e a metre, crazy! I did see some lovely furnishing fabric, thought I might get a half meter to make a bag, until I saw the 89e a metre price tag!!! who are the crazy people spending that kind of money...

and dont get me started on the prices they charge for remnants!

Anyways after another month spending a LOT of cash on postage for swaps to the US, I was wondering if any of you fanced a swap confined to Ireland?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kmsmaverick
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2007 06:53:42 AM »

when i was in dublin last feb, i had Hickeys as a must see on my list of things to do. i was a bit let down. We're returning for the marathon (not me, my crazy dad) in October, though i won't be as optimistic, it's still a must see.

now i know how to knit though, so the Wool Shop in bray is more of a draw. there are a few lys in Dublin too, i think. springwools is the name of one i think?

are there any in Derry? we're going on a coach trip to Giant's Causeway that circles back through Derry, and we stop there for about an hour or so, so if i can go to one there too it would be nice. It will be like a world tour of lys.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saor

« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2007 12:16:54 PM »

An Irish swap might be fun....what about an Irish meet up???  Grin

I heard the Bray Wool Shop closed down or is in the process of closing down Sad I haven't been to the Springwools one(in Walkinstown AFAIK) but the Irish S&B members recommend it. There is also a wool shop in Blackrock in Dublin as well, recently enough opened. I thank my lucky stars that there is a good wool shop in Galway- long may it last....they have some fabric and buttons and stuff too.

I can see how Hickeys would be a disappointment- my blood pressure goes up every time I go in there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kmsmaverick
« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2007 01:33:00 PM »

If i didn't have my dad along on this next trip i would tour the country looking for yarn shops!

I'll look for the one in blackrock. My mom and i like to go to Dun Laoirghire (we had delicious soup and brown bread at an upstairs cafe last trip) i wonder why the wool shop closed. that is too bad, it was quite nice.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saor

« Reply #57 on: May 12, 2007 03:18:28 AM »

I like Dunlaoghaire. I was born there and grew up very close to it. I was there before Xmas looking for wool and couldn't get much. Hickeys there doesn't sell any and in the end I found a small amount in Shaw's. Since Dun Laoghaire is so big I and serves such a big area I was surprised it was so hard to get wool.

If you like I'll dig out the details about the shop in Blackrock, I think it closes on Mondays.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

midgetflynn
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2007 07:26:18 AM »

I can't find blue flurry material anywhere! Angry I suppose I'm just going to have check online.I hate Irelands lack of craft shops though Vibes and Scribes in Cork opened up their craft shop a while back and I thought it was great they sell beads
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kmsmaverick
« Reply #59 on: June 06, 2007 05:50:13 AM »

hey, i saw that the wool shop is closed, i'll have to do some more research,

but i was on dublinks a few minutes ago and i came across this place:
Wraptures

have any of you been there? is it a place to buy paper craft supplies, or more of a place to indulge oneself in a completely un-needed treat?

I'm going to stop in i think, but i was wondering what sort of plans i should bring along in my head.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Delicious Burgers
How to Make Donuts
How to Make Pete’s ‘Combo’ Pizza
How to Make Grilled Tomato and Basil Pizza
Deviled Egg Trio
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...