A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,542
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Adirondack style Cd Holder? Please help...  (Read 1109 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

novemberlies
« on: December 28, 2005 08:59:10 AM »

My wonderful boyfriend and I are moving into a tiny one-bedroom apartment in the fall.

This is my dilemna.  He has probably 300 dvds and 900 cds.  nerd?  yes.  he has three different game systems, i don't know what they are all called, and tons of games for those as well.

The goofball is a park ranger in the Adirondack Mountains during the summer and has an obsession with that fireside "woodsy" look.  The problem, he spends every paycheck at this little store in the mountains buying oh... $200 quilts with mooses on them and... $300 lamps that look like trees.  There is more, but you probably would not believe me.  So, as you can assume money is tight.  (cough cough dumbass cough cough)

I need to create some sort of... cd/dvd/video game holder.  (i was thinking wall hanging, but maybe a bookshelf of sorts)  The apartment is a miniature one bedroom.  Too small to even move in my big bed, so we have a futon.

trust me, i have surfed this forum for two days straight.  Nothing.  he won't let me make it "trendy."  It has to be "mountainy."

so, help me out.  any ideas for a CD holder that looks like a freaking tree? 

i have tons of Saranac bottle caps (planning on making a table top... saranac is the brew of the adirondacks for any non-yankees.)  I would like to somehow incorporate those and make the shelf or what be it as natural as possible.

thank you for reading all of that, if you survived.  thank you for any input, in advance.

xox,
shannonicole
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005 09:12:38 AM »

Could you take a log and hollow it out in rectangles like shelves? I'm not sure how one would go about doing that...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
islandhome
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005 09:24:09 AM »

You could get some wood cd holders, and decorate them with mini Adirondack chairs.  I saw a picture of those chairs used as card holders..here's one site:

http://www.weddingsbydezign.com/bmemiadchplc.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
novemberlies
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005 11:26:03 AM »

You could get some wood cd holders, and decorate them with mini Adirondack chairs. 

those chairs are really cute.. but more of a beach thing.  i'm looking more for black bears, pine trees and mountains.

this is going to be tough.   Undecided tehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Curbside Bandit
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005 07:45:03 PM »

That is tough...would be be into camouflage? You could staple camo fabric onto the back of a simple shelf (pine?) so that you see the fabric instead of the wall behind it.

Or you could do the same with a mexican blanket or a quilt that you don't mind ruining. :-)

You might find a good cedar chest for long term storage. That way all the games/CD's are out of sight and the chest can double as seating with a cushion on top.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
smrfchic
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005 07:50:13 PM »

Okay.... get into my head with me ~ beware, it's kind of cramped and stinky in here.

The first thought that popped into my head was those ladder-style shelving units - a couple of long tree branches/sapling trunks leaned up against the wall with rough-hewn planks as the shelves.

Second thought that came to mind were handhewn planks for shelves, with carved bear bookends. 

There may be more thoughts lurking in my head, but my DH is watching the end of Star Wars III and it's reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally loud.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Sadie ~*~
Oh, for corn's sake!
novemberlies
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005 08:03:39 PM »

Okay.... get into my head with me ~ beware, it's kind of cramped and stinky in here.

The first thought that popped into my head was those ladder-style shelving units - a couple of long tree branches/sapling trunks leaned up against the wall with rough-hewn planks as the shelves.

oh god that is awesome.  i am just worried about the wood rotting out, i would need some sort of sealant.. that is shiny preferrably... but i don't even know where to look.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005 08:30:55 PM »

Ohh, that's a good idea. *Has marvelous picture of it in head*  You could even leave the bark on the ends of the shelves. I'll talk to my dad and find out how he seals his wood...i'll let you know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
smrfchic
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005 09:05:17 PM »

oh god that is awesome.  i am just worried about the wood rotting out, i would need some sort of sealant.. that is shiny preferrably... but i don't even know where to look.

Clear polyurethane.  Just tell the guys at the hardware store what you are making, and they should be able to direct you to the proper stuff. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Sadie ~*~
Oh, for corn's sake!
novemberlies
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005 05:05:05 AM »

haylie and smrfchk... i love you both!   Kiss thank you soooo much.  this project is going to be wonderful and whenever it is finished i will post some lovely pictures.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Hold Crochet Yarn
How to Crochet a Scarf
How to Bead Crochet
How to Design a Pencil Skirt
How to Make a Sewing Pattern
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...