A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,684
Currently Running With Scissors:
622 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13
Jump to page:
    Print  
Topic: 12/28/05 - What Serious Problems Are You Having Since the Server Move?  (Read 16374 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

leah
Global Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

formerly "the craftster admin" - viva craftster!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 28, 2005 06:04:35 AM »

Hi everyone.

I've been getting random reports here and there about some serious problems some people are experiencing since Craftster moved to a new server on Dec 2nd/3rd. For example frequently not being able to get Craftster's pages to load, etc... Can you all help me get my brain around what's going on?

1. Please list the serious problems you are having since the server move. Please be as descriptive as possible -- like do you get a specific error message? Please paraphrase that error message?

2. Do they always seem to happen at pretty much the same time of day? If so, please tell me what time of day.

3. Where are you located geographically? (You can just specify the country if you don't want to get specific.)

4. What browser do you usually use?

5. What OS do you usually use -- PC or Mac?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005 06:47:27 AM by the craftster admin (leah) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Want to support Craftster? Find out about becoming a Friend of Craftster!

{ craftastic.com | leahkramer.com | helloadorable.com }
Stifflersmom

Sassy Britches

We are the people our parents warned us about....

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2005 06:32:31 AM »

1. Not terribly serious but sometimes the pages won't load, and sometimes when posting/PMing adding a smilie will erase the entire message. Happened yesterday when I used the new police-guy. (He's so cute - thanks for the new ones!) The smilie bomb happened before the server move, too.
2. Afternoons are usually the time things get a bit wonky, around 2-3pm CST
3. Minnesota, USA
4. Browser? Not sure exactly what that is but I'm guessing here - Microsoft Internet Explorer / yahoo
5. PC 
« Last Edit: December 28, 2005 07:48:59 AM by Stifflersmom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

As you sew, so shall you rip. Don't fear the ripper.
decibel
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2005 07:16:29 AM »

1. About a third of the time Craftster won't load at all! Sometimes the first page loads but not the other pages!! That is a big problem I'd say, but another not as serious a problem, yet a VERY annoying thing is this: When loading a new page a seemingly random Craftster-members' avatar shows up right in the middle of the posts - in every message - on that page.
Also, this happens a lot when I'm about to write a post or a private message, except then the random user avatar shows up where the smileys usually are. Sometimes the smileys aren't there at all, and sometimes the smileys are just words ("sad" or "tongue"). I've also experienced the same thing as Stifflersmom described lately (erasing of entire message when adding a smiley), but right then I just thought it was me who did something wrong - well, maybe I didn't, it never happened before the server move...

2. No...

3. Stockholm, Sweden, Europe.

4. Mozilla Firefox and Internet Explorer. No difference there...

5. PC.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2005 07:49:11 AM »

1. pages often won't load, like others said.  it hasn't been the probem in the last couple days, though.  and smilies often are written in words (but not that big a deal).

2. all times of day - morning, afternoon, evening, and even night (after 11 pm)

3. USA, EST

4. firefox - internet explorer sometimes brings up a page when firefox won't, but it still often can't and it takes about 5 minutes to load

5. PC
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Serendipity Crafts
Serendipity Crafts

Elizabeth & Hugh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005 07:57:57 AM »

1. Do you get a specific error message? Please paraphrase that error message?
2. Do they always seem to happen at pretty much the same time of day? If so, please tell me what time of day.
3. Where are you located geographically? (You can just specify the country if you don't want to get specific.)
4. What browser do you usually use?
5. What OS do you usually use -- PC or Mac?

1. I have had times when the page wouldn't load. Other times, I have been redirected to a page telling me that craftser was down. Yesterday, I was redirected to a page which had some sort of database error.

2. Doesn't seem to be one specific time of day.

3. Montreal, Quebec, Canada

4. Explorer 5

5. Mac
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Elizabeth & Hugh
Personalized Signature Platters & Souvenir Plates
Serendipity-Crafts.com
Serendipity-Crafts Photo Gallery
Etsy Store
craftydame

i love glitter and glitter loves me.

hi craftster! i've missed you!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2005 08:24:03 AM »

1. i can't get craftster to load. this seems to be happening more and more often. over the christmas holidays, it was almost every night. i usually get the browser message that says "server cannot be found" or "server cannot be displayed" (i forget which). a few days ago i got a message that gave some database error (but i forgot to write it down! i'm sorry)

this seems to happen a lot when i have a new PM. i'm not sure if it's related, or just a coincidence, but when my e-mail says i have a new one, that's when it seems to crash. it seems like it can't open that little "you have a new PM. would you like to open it in a new window?" box.

2. it seems to be late at night, and that's why it's frustrating, cause that's when i can go on craftster for longer periods of time. the old server problems seemed to reflect on a high amount of usage from the east coast, this problem doesn't seem to correlate at all.

3. i'm in vancouver, bc. so pacific standard time.

4. internet explorer. mozilla makes my computer crash.

5. PC

my sister is in the same time zone, and uses mozilla on a Mac, and i think she's been having some of the same problems. i'll try to get her to come write her own response, cause i'm not exactly sure.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my crafty blog!

i like exclamation marks.
bigeyes
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005 08:53:29 AM »

[

When I'm browsing craftster, after a few minutes I can no longer get pages to load.  It seems to happen at various times of day, I haven't noticed that it's worse in the evening or anything.  I'm in California.  Pacific Time.  I usually use mozilla, but it happens on explorer, too.  PC
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
KCGal
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005 09:57:15 AM »

1.  After reading other people's problems, I am feeling fortunate that all is well with my little craftster world!  (gosh, I hope I don't jinx it!)  I did reply to your question a few weeks ago about not receiving e-mail notices when I had a new pm from a craftster member....that has since cleared up and I am receiving e-mails when someone pm's me.

2.  I am usually on craftster from 9pm-11pm (Central Standard time).  During holiday vacation, I am on mostly in the daytime hours.

3.  I'm in the Kansas City area, USA.

4.  I go back and forth btwn Safari and Explorer.

5.  Mac OSX

Thanks, Leah!  happy new year!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
orangeabsinthe

On the eighth day, God created beer!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2005 10:08:32 AM »

1. I've been having problems when I click an external link (like if someone linked their blog to show pics or something).  Everything frezzes up.  This might be my computer, but it only happens on craftster  Undecided  Also, same here with everyone.  Sometimes when I try to open the forum, it times out before it loads (i get the first page though)
2.  I'm on craftster all the time, although I think the problems occur mostly late at night.
3.  Albuquerque, NM
4. Explorer
5.  PC
THIS ROCKS   Logged
allisone

a plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005 10:21:16 AM »

For contrast and perhaps to narrow down the problems...
1. Everything has been faster for me. No problems with anything since the move.
2. N/A - but I am on A LOT
3. Philadelphia, Pa
4 Safari
5. Mac OSX-tiger
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13 Jump to page:
  Print  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chicken Quesadilla
How to Make Moist Banana Bread
How to Make Sauerkraut
How to Make a Breakfast Casserole
How to Make Seared Ahi Tuna
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...