A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 298,692
Currently Running With Scissors:
722 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Farmers market bag  (Read 2345 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« on: December 27, 2005 01:34:18 PM »

I can't believe that I was actually CRAVING  bag making after struggling through so many Christmas gifts in a VERY short period of time.  Anyway, I wanted to make something medium-size for my many, many trips to the farmers market.

The outside material is a faux suede in an olive green shade.  I lined it with Amy Butler fabric that I absolutely adore!  There's a hard plastic insert in between the lining and the bottom of the bag to keep it completely flat when the bag is full of stuff.  Yay for reusing plexi glass from an old poster frame!  Oh, and of course, a magnetic snap closure.

Sorry for the blurry lining picture. 

The suede-like fabric is sooooo soft!  Wish I had more of it!!!  It was really hard to work with though. 

I dont know, you guys, do you think the outside needs something?  A pin or a brooch or something to jazz it up a bit?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
Leylia

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005 01:42:53 PM »

That looks beautiful!  And how clever to use plexiglass to help the bottom keep its shape. 

And as for the outside, I think any purse looks better with a flower pin or something fancy like that.  I'm a big fan of embellishments.  Grin Excellent job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kindness isn't dead.  Promise.

R.I.P. Brett (1982-2007)
thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005 02:10:14 PM »

I think the bag looks beautiful as is, but what about a floral applique to coordinate with the liner?  Or a cute crocheted flower pin? 
Maybe a vintage-y rhinestone type of pin, that would look really pretty too.
Although I still think it looks just great the way it is. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://zomboid.com
My website, newly redesigned as of 9-2010! ^_^

http://facebook.com/heycookie
Yes, I have one of those, too. ^^;
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005 02:17:26 PM »

Thanks Leylia and thingwraith!

After posting this bag, I realized that I had a sparkley brooch that I inherited from my great, great grandmother and it looks SO CUTE on this bag.  I'm a bit afraid to use it, but maybe just from time to time.

Thanks for the compliments!  I love this bag.  This material is sooooo soft!  I can't get over it!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005 02:24:07 PM »

I know what you mean about being afraid to use a pin.  I have a lot of lovely brooches that belonged to my great grandma and I always want to put them in my hair, or on a bag, or even just wear them but I am afraid of losing them. ^^;
Pretty much any time I have had a pin on a bag it has fallen off numerous times. >_<
That material you used reminds me of stuff I used to make a purse for my mom.  It was very plushy and soft greyish green upholstery stuff.  Where did you find that fabric?  It looks very plushy, but is it more of a sueded stuff?  ^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://zomboid.com
My website, newly redesigned as of 9-2010! ^_^

http://facebook.com/heycookie
Yes, I have one of those, too. ^^;
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005 02:40:42 PM »

I found it at Joann's, of all places.  I try not to buy fabric from there because I like to support the smaller, local businesses around where I live.  I happened to come across about 3/4 of a yard of it in the remnant bin for $1.99 and I HAD to have it.  It's washable, but it was labeled as a microsuede.  The material itself is stretchy, almost like spandex, but very squishy and soft.  Weird.  I'm going there tonight to get some more needles and magnetic clasps...I may have to search for more of it.  I'm hooked!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-E. Bachmann
andreamarie
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005 04:53:37 PM »

Ah, very pretty!  I love the rectangular shape!  Maybe you can make a folded fabric flower pin to put on the outside?  Those are easy to do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am selling my crafty things to raise some money to go towards my adoption costs!

You can find my stuff for sale at:

http://andreamarie.etsy.com
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2005 05:07:05 PM »

You know, I thought about that, but I've never made one before.  They're not hard?  I guess I'll have to look for a good tute on here and give it a try.  I think they're really beautiful, just haven't taken the time to try 'em out.

Thanks for commenting!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-E. Bachmann
andreamarie
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005 05:16:35 PM »

This is the tutorial I learned from:

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=24944.0
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am selling my crafty things to raise some money to go towards my adoption costs!

You can find my stuff for sale at:

http://andreamarie.etsy.com
GirlyGirlBags
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2005 05:54:36 PM »

Fabulous!!  I adore faux suede  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Southwestern Turkey Chili
How to Make Chicken Cutlets
How to Make a Big Mac Burger
How to Make Grilled Cheese
Honey-Truffle Grilled Cheese Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...