A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 300,909
Currently Running With Scissors:
506 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Almost too pretty to eat snowflake cookies!  (Read 2810 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 26, 2005 06:14:34 AM »

I haven't made decorated cookies for about 12 years now - I think the last batch I made were for the christmas party for my senior year of highschool, where I got paid to make 120 elaborately decorated christmas tree cookies. So I definately felt out of practice with these - but think they still turned out to be something I can be proud of.

http://www.artsygal.net/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=13

Yes, each one is different. After a while I had to start googling 'snowflake cookies' to get more ideas. 

And to top it off, I was given a copy of The Cookie Bible  for christmas too! Whee.. more cookies to be made soon!

J
« Last Edit: November 25, 2006 08:48:36 AM by retroeva » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
ladybugz1125
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005 11:14:43 AM »

wow! those are amazing. look yummy too. what kind of icing is that. I like it. it seems like you poured it on and it dried hard? seems easy then frosting in the can stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005 12:38:06 PM »

The frosting was so easy to make...

1 cup confectioners sugar
2 - 3 tablespoons milk
2 teaspoons light corn syrup
Flavoring
Food coloring

First, either sift the sugar, or just stir it well to break up any lumps - stiring worked fine for me. Then, add the milk a little at a time You're better off starting with something TOO thick at first. Mix in the corn syrup (for shine), food coloring, and if you're using it, flavorings. Be warned, if your flavorings have color to them, they'll affect the frosting. I had to get rid of a batch that turned YELLOW when I added vanilla. Then, after everything is added, add a little more milk if needed to get the right consistancy.

I frosted the cookies a couple of different ways - was playing with techniques. First batch I made the base coat fairly runny and used a  squeeze bottle first traced the shape of the cookies REALLY close to t he edge so that the frsting would drip down and cover the sides, then I just covered the entire top with the squeeze bottle. The problem I had with taht was that the frosting was too thin and I had to do a 2nd coat to keep the cookie from showing through the frosting.

2nd batch, I made the frosting thicker - piped a border just inside the edges of the cookies, then again with the squeeze bottle and slightly thinned down frosting, flooded the insides to fill them in. Again, I discovered that the 'thicker' frosting I used wasn't thick enough, it still dripped down the sides.  So a third batch I made, I used the same technique but the border frosting was stiff enough to hold it's shape - and then flooded the centers with the squeeze bottle again. Those were the neatest looking onces I got.

I left those cookies to dry - the recipe I use dries pretty fast - within 30 minutes they had a crust, in 3 hours they were hard enough to pipe a second color onto them.

The actual snowflake was made with plain white frosting that was fairly thick. As soon as I finished piping, I spooned regular sugar over the cookie and gently tipped it off. But with the frosting being so thick, not much sugar stuck on them. I had better results doing it in stages, where after each part of piping, I put sugar on there. But that just took WAY too long.

The only time I use canned stuff is if I'm frosting a cake. For cookies I prefer home made where I can adjust the consistancy myself for whatever is needed. This stuff dried hard, but not TOO hard the way royal icing does. And it doesn't use raw egg whites either, which is a bonus.

J
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005 07:00:13 AM »

Har! I have to disagree! There is NO cookie too pretty to eat! Nice job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ladybugz1125
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005 09:37:20 AM »

cool. I will have to try this sometime. thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
motleykitten

Fuck nosejobs. Jewish Noses are HOT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005 07:55:44 PM »

Those are awesome!!! How many did you make? They are so ornate. That looks like a project that would end up in the garbage if I tried to do it! Good job.
P.S. I agree with Crafty Chef, no cookie is too pretty to eat. Or too ugly.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Up yours, young people. You and your rock and roll 8-track tapes!
artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005 11:38:21 PM »

Those are awesome!!! How many did you make? They are so ornate. That looks like a project that would end up in the garbage if I tried to do it! Good job.
P.S. I agree with Crafty Chef, no cookie is too pretty to eat. Or too ugly.

I agree too.. no cookie is too pretty.. that's why these were *almost* too pretty .. but still got eaten!

The cookie cutters I had came in 4 sizes... so I made about a dozen of the biggest ones, and then maybe a total of a dozen of the other sizes combined. But the 2 smallest sizes didn't look good once piped with the snowflake because my tip was too big - so I didn't bother photographing those. The next to biggest size came out pretty good - I had 3 of those and 2 are included in the photos.

Half way through I started running out of ideas for snowflakes and had to run to my computer to google "snowflake cookies" to find images of ones other people have made for inspiration. LOL!

J
THIS ROCKS   Logged

motleykitten

Fuck nosejobs. Jewish Noses are HOT!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005 01:31:40 PM »

my tip was too big
J
"That's what she said." I just had to say it... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Up yours, young people. You and your rock and roll 8-track tapes!
green monk
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2006 04:00:12 PM »

nice! hm...snowflake cookie cutters. haha, im just getting a list of things i need for my kitchen today Tongue *bundt pan * cookie cutters Tongue i really liked the green snowflakes, that rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I WILL BE IN THE WOODS FROM AUGUST TO NOVEMBER... GOOD-BYE COMPUTER!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint the Ocean
How to Paint Apples
How to Paint Fabric
How to Paint Tangerines
How to Paint Cherries
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...