A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
739 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: cupcake decorating help!!!!  (Read 837 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bigeyes
« on: January 03, 2006 07:55:53 PM »

I read every thread on cupcakes, and I've googled and visited many sites, but I cannot find a really good way to decorate cupcakes with butterflies.  I'm sure I saw it in some women's magazine, but who knows how many years ago!   

I also need a good idea for a boy's cupcake decoration.  Both of my kids have birthdays in the next few weeks and I don't know what to take to school. 

I'm thinking of making orange jello poke cupcakes as so many kids either are allergic or just don't eat chocolate...and I think plain white cake is BORINGGGGGG!

I'm thinking butterflies, ladybugs or flowers for the girl, but for the boy the only idea I have is to imbed little plastic toys in the frosting.

Any and all suggestions appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
Xiexie11
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006 10:07:52 PM »

If you're into the book thing, Clare Crespo has two books that are meant mostly for kids that have great ideas for decorating with food.  The Secret Life of Food and Hey There, Cupcake both have pretty fun and relatively simple ideas for cupcake decorating, especially for kids.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BatGrrl
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006 10:52:49 PM »

You didn't mention your son's age or interests, so I don't know if any of these are in/appropriate.  Does your son play any sports?  My husband's a big baseball fan, so in the past I've made him a round cake frosted white with red icing threads added.  Basketballs would be just as easy, and soccerballs perhaps mildly harder.  Red and White Pokmon balls?  What about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, green frosting with colored mask-stripes and eyes and mouth added?  Monster cup cakes, with bright frosting, funny eyes and mouths, and lots of sharp teeth?  Jack-Skellington-type skull faces?  Eyeballs?  Clowns?  Dragon Balls (from the cartoon)?  Golden-yellow frosting, and carry them to school in a lidded box that looks like a treasure chest?  Jolly Roger cupcakes?  Batman symbol in black on yellow?  Tires?  Billiard balls?  Grosser, creepy-crawly bugs, or putting gummy worms on the top?  (I know worms work best with chocolate, but you could always dye plain frosting with a brown or black color.)  Chicken Little's head?  Puppy-dog face?  I guess that's all I can come up with right off the top of my head--I'll repost if I get a briliant idea later.

Pieces,

Joanne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bigeyes
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006 11:16:29 PM »

pokemon balls would be great!  He's turning 9, and all he's interested in is video games and all things egyptian. Someone in another thread had some adorable bugs made with candy on top of the icing, and I thought about using that idea, but the pokemon balls are perfect!

now, does anyone know how to make a really cute butterfly or ladybug cupcake?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

geek-pride

Hands up if you're over Twilight!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006 11:18:27 PM »

If your son is young enough you could try faces on the cup cakes. Pirates would be my choice. I love pirates.

You ice the tiop of the cup cake then you could use and M&M for the eye and icing for the eyepatch and mouth. The headscarf is sprinkles on the top 3rd of the cupcake.

Mmmmm... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: January 18, 2006 10:27:00 PM by geek-pride » THIS ROCKS   Logged

bigeyes
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2006 12:29:36 AM »

ha!  I love those too!

I think a little ring shaped yellow candy earring is in order.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

j_en

Just stumbling through and trying my best.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2006 01:39:45 AM »

I wonder if the butterfly decoration you are thinking of is the one where a kind of circle shaped divot is cut out of the top of the cake, you cut this piece in half and then stick the two pieces back on with cream or jam or icing or whatever, sitting them up like "wings".  I remember these from when I was a kid, but I haven't seen them much anymore.

Otherwise there is this, which is less fiddly: at http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/family/feature/famf0700cupcake/famf0700cupcake9.html

As for boys cupcake decorations, if you're stuck for time you can't go past something "icky" - so green icing topped with jelly worms or snakes or frogs perhaps - remember "frogs and snails and puppy dog tails - thats what boys are made of".

Hope you all have fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen
bigeyes
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2006 01:42:21 PM »

those butterflies from family fun are just the ones I was thinking of!

thanks everyone!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jeanius - Grace Fuller on the Perfect Jeans
Vintage Bowles - Discovering Vintage Yves Saint Laurent in NYC
Evelyn Lozada on Celebrity Shoe Trends
First Chance to Shop Isabel Marant for H&M
Need to Know: Two Tone Trend, Nike FuelBand, and a "Food and Wine" Roundup
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...