A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 300,916
Currently Running With Scissors:
647 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Novice making a costume!  (Read 526 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loppi
I am your face.

CACTUSPLZ.

View Profile WWW
« on: December 25, 2005 04:29:41 PM »

First off, I hope you lot are having a lovely Christmas! <3

My parents were very good to me and bought me a lovely new Brother sewing machine and a Vogue sewing technique reference book (bit more constructive this year Tongue). I am pretty new to sewing, I did some at school (I made a lined waistcoat) but it was pretty crude and required a lot of help for me to get it right :S! Obviously at first I will experiment to learn techniques and the basics etc. One thing I always wanted to do was make a 'cosplay' costume to wear to a convention or even just as an accomplishment. I love to sit and design my own elaborate fashions rather than just copy somebody else's character or design. Playing on the current Naval/Military fashion I designed this costume (excuse the exaggeration of my figure there... Tongue);

(It shrunk it so you may need to view the source to see the notes properly)

I am fully aware that this is very complex... (way more complex than a novice should be starting out) but I'd like to hear a little input from you guys about what fabrics and techniques would be suitable (and what could be removed or changed).
Thank you =D!
Loppi
xxxxxxx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<a href=http://www.loppiart.com>LOPPIART.COM</a>
qt37
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005 05:36:58 PM »

nice im personally going to opt for the naughty alice in wonderland costum but yours looks fabulous, if you have the time do a practice or a mini one for a doll or something.. but anyway, i say opt for the good fabric if you do do a practice run, but if you dont opt for cotton or something polyester or cheap priced but not looking, you know what i mean.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ciracira
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005 08:50:59 AM »

What an amazing design! It looks *so* cool! I bet whatever con you go to people will be asking what anime your character is from...it looks that good!

My recommendation to you is to use a pattern for the jacket. Making this jacket without a pattern WILL NOT be fun. AT ALL. I know one of the major pattern companies (either Simplicity, Butterick, or McCalls) has a "Civil War" uniform listed in their costume section. It is a male uniform, but with some alteration, could closely match your design. Use that pattern, make a muslin of it first to fit it/add darts/modify the neckline--whatever you need to do.

That's all the advice I have for you. I can't *wait* to see pics of the finished costume, so make sure you post them!! Ganbatte! ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loppi
I am your face.

CACTUSPLZ.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005 11:23:31 AM »

=0 thanks guys! I was thinking "is this too big a task for me to take on? Am I just going to be stuck making circle skirts over and over again?" but now I feel a bit more confident that I can take it on. Making a mock-up is a good idea... I would hate to use up all that fabric on something that turns out the wrong size!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<a href=http://www.loppiart.com>LOPPIART.COM</a>
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Make Chicken Pho
How to Make a Gramercy Park Roll
How to Make a California Roll
Slow Marinated Salmon With a Soy-Ginger Glaze
How to Make Salmon and Pink Rice Sushi
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...