A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,210
Currently Running With Scissors:
531 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Feathers, Fans and Vines: Two Lacy Gift Scarves  (Read 2316 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mizuiro
« on: December 25, 2005 03:13:32 PM »

Score!  I got a digital camera for Christmas!  Now I can prove I'm not just talking about knitting, but actually doing it.

Here are the two scarves I made for gifts this Christmas.  The first is tried and true Feather and Fan stitch, made in Joann Angel Hair yarn for a friend that really likes purple.  2 balls of yarn, size 11 needles, and fuzzy yarn is now a lot more interesting.  More shape than straight rows, and when you're actually in the room with it, you can still see the lacy holes made by the YOs.  I just couldn't get a pic that showed them very well:

The Traveling Vine scarf is for my mom.  This scarf is the result of lots of headache.  She said something about not wearing a scarf very often because she doesn't stay outside very long, so I ripped all the thick, warm knitting out that she wouldn't wear in a million years.  I saw this pattern in the Knit Scarves! book and had a eureka moment.  It's light, not too long, and the wool and cashmere blend in the Cashsoft is warm and feels really good on.  I was convinced into buying 3 balls at the yarn store, but it only took one ball and a good part of a second.  I officially hate p2tog through the back loop now, and forever, but damn it's pretty:

She really liked it.  I hope she wears it!  They go with the pink socks I also made her for Christmas.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010 09:16:22 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Got Blog?  So do I:  http://yeahiknit.blogspot.com/
shoegazer
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2005 05:57:45 PM »

I like the fan stich. Im not sure if I have it in a pattern book or not. Do you mind sharing? It looks fantastic, no pun intended.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mizuiro
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2005 11:07:11 PM »

Thanks!  I used a Feather and Fan variation usually called Old Shale, that I got from this site:  http://www.mielkesfarm.com/oldshale.htm

Old Shale Pattern
Multiple of 12 stitches

Row 1:  Knit
Row 2:  Purl
Row 3:  *(K2tog) 2 times, (yo, K1) 4 times, (K2tog) 2 times; repeat to end of row
Row 4:  Knit

That's all there is to it.  It's good for TV knitting.  Just about every pattern library I've seen has this or some variation of this stitch.  The feather and fan that was in mine called for a multiple of 18 + 2, so it was slightly different (the waves are less peaked).  With the bulky yarn and 2 balls to work with, I didn't want to cast on 38 stitches, so this was a lucky find.  If I get the urge to make an afghan, I'll probably do it with this pattern.

The Katamari Cat is awesome, btw (I've been addicted to that game the past few days).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Huhwhat?
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005 09:11:34 AM »

Very pretty! I esp. like the vines pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nushybum
nushybum the magnificent

Masquerade!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005 09:26:25 AM »

How pretty!  Smiley I like the second one the best, your efforts were most definately worth it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Shock Paper Scissors - a modern magazine for contempory crafters

Magic Fingers - a craft blog
mizuiro
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2005 01:12:46 PM »

Thanks everybody.  You've made me feel good about my first picture post!  I'm hoping she goes to work and gets many oohs and aahs from it.  Since I have yarn left over I'm going to make the Mrs. Beetons from the Winter Knitty.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lisascenic
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005 08:20:32 AM »

Beautiful -- both of 'em.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Brie
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2005 11:40:39 AM »

Beautiful! I especially love the traveling vines - very pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knithippie

what a long strange trip it's been!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2005 12:57:38 PM »

I love the traveling vines scarf... it looks gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the crafty tales of a maine gal... http://knitmainea.little-earthquakes.net
mizuiro
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2005 11:44:19 PM »

Thanks for all the nice comments, everyone Smiley  Since it's been unusually warm in Ohio lately, she really hasn't gotten the chance to wear it yet.  As soon as it snows, I'm going to jump on her about it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make the Perfect Potato and Aubergine Bhaji
How to Savour A Delicious Sushi
How to Cook Chicken with Ginger and Spring Onion
How to Cook Kung Pao
How to Cook Homemade Sashimi Using Crab and Sea Bream
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...