A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,579
Currently Running With Scissors:
497 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 45
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Holiday Handmade gift disappointment :(  (Read 58732 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #410 on: November 29, 2008 06:39:13 PM »

To my utter astonishment, the aunt absolutely loved the scarf and told everyone how nice it was for me to make her something.  And even better, she actually WROTE ME A THANK YOU NOTE!  To this day I am the only family member that has such a thing from her. Cheesy

That's AWESOME!!  You just never know how people react!  Great story.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
agrafikartist
Crafty-Happy

A Creative Mind Knows No Rest!

View Profile
« Reply #411 on: November 30, 2008 08:00:52 PM »

Yeah, I totally sympathize.  When my hubby and I were first married I made things for his mother and she was pretty rude about how she felt about them.  After that I just bought her dumb gifts from the dollar store.  But then I made her a scrapbook type of photo frame, the kind that you can put a bunch of pictures on it and she loved it.  Go figure, I got the photo frame from the dollar store.  It's been 29 years now and I have learned more about what she likes and doesn't like, that always helps.  Now, my parents love anything I make.  That makes sense, since they are the ones I get my talent for making things from.  LOL.  Don't give up completely, just be very observant thru the year on their likes and dislikes.  Some people appreciate handmade things and some don't.  It's finding out what they really like that makes the difference.  It does get very depressing to spend so much time and effort on gifts that someone doesn't appreciate, though.  Hey, we all here appreciate your efforts.  Keep up the good work and it will pay off one day.  If not, just buy them some hankies, ha, that's what I did for awhile.  Maybe, that's why they appreciate the things I make for them now.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarglass
currently trying to change me

Join the dark side; we have cookies!

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 22, 2008 03:20:23 PM »

same with my brother, i made him a present that took me 3 months to make and he didn't like it, threw it away at the first chance he got same thing the year after and the year after and the year after then i bought him a present and he still didn't like it... SO frustrating !!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
i'm not the same anymore, and frankly, i'm beginning to hate myself
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #413 on: December 23, 2008 12:55:42 AM »

same with my brother, i made him a present that took me 3 months to make and he didn't like it, threw it away at the first chance he got same thing the year after and the year after and the year after then i bought him a present and he still didn't like it... SO frustrating !!!

Why would you keep making him the same thing year after year when you know he didn't like it the first time? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ashling
« Reply #414 on: December 23, 2008 05:16:47 AM »

I think she means his reaction was the same, not the gift.  At least I hope so!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarglass
currently trying to change me

Join the dark side; we have cookies!

View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 23, 2008 10:00:23 AM »

yeah his reaction was the same not the gift they where bad looking handmade gifts but i was like, 5 or 6 or 4 years old and the took me several months to make!!!

i cried after every time
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wists
i'm not the same anymore, and frankly, i'm beginning to hate myself
IamSusie
« Reply #416 on: December 23, 2008 01:53:47 PM »

Those are people with whom you have a discussion about not exchanging gifts at all.  Often that is what many people really want anyway.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

NiinaMaria

Crafter by accident

View Profile WWW
« Reply #417 on: December 24, 2008 05:12:18 AM »

I made most of my presents this year and I hope the responses will be on the positive side. Tonight, on the Christmas Eve when we Finns celebrate Christmas, I'll find out. Then again, I am not too embarrassed to point out people's rudeness if they don't respond in correct manner. Meaning, they don't have to like it they just have to say thank you nicely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vog
« Reply #418 on: December 24, 2008 07:42:17 AM »

Most of my presents are hand made this year too. I think I will be okay (hopefully?) because I did ask if it would be alright if I made presents this year; I guess it depends on how well I made them...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
annie_rich
« Reply #419 on: December 25, 2008 07:54:26 PM »

I made presents this year for my MIL, SIL, mother and grandmothers and they all went over really well except for my mother in law of course.  I made her these napkins to match some placemats i picked up for her and the napkins have a pocket on the front when you fold them so you can put the silverware in them.  they took me forever and she was just like, oh...i've never used cloth napkins before I wonder if all the silverware will fit in here? ugh.  what's so hard about saying "thank you for caring enough about me to spend your time creating something for me that comes from the heart"?
  On the other hand, my sister in law loved her custom glass coasters. and my mom & grandmothers absolutely loved their homemade snuggies.  so i guess all in all pretty positive results.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Plus Size Women Show Lingerie Fits All Sizes
How To Properly Dress for a Holiday Party
How To Get the Most Out of Black Friday
Alyson Hannigan Talks Fashion
We Spy Fashionable Celebrity Engagement Rings
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...