A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 307,972
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 45
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Holiday Handmade gift disappointment :(  (Read 67897 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

faemystique
RN who crafts like she's on Crack!

Making my art a priority in 2014!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #260 on: November 18, 2007 09:48:19 PM »

Actually so far so good.  Both my family and my husbands family and our friends clamor for handmade things, so much sometimes that I can't keep up with the requests and then I feel bad.  But I know the feeling... Our cousin in Denmark used to send us handknit sweaters back in the eighties that were SO NOT COol but then I wore them as I was older and wish I had them now because they would be so hot! but as a kid we thought they were ugly...and now that has been on my mind as I am a knitter...what tremendous work she did!! and I have been feeling guilty
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wookiewoo
Wookiewoo! Wookie who? Wookiewoo!!!

No Meanies!

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 18, 2007 10:05:14 PM »

I really can't stand that this is what the holidays have come down to.  I really think you should give what is in your heart.  I'm sorry but I don't want some silly prepackage pack of lotion or some stinky candle!  I always think, what must they think of me if all they just run out and buy whatever they see first.  Cost really doesn't matter to me.

We try to set up guidelines before hand one some of the gifting we do.  Say, all under $20 or only gifts for the kids, that way we aren't going overboard and no one's feeling "jilted."

In fact, sometimes I think this way gives the crafty gifts the advantage b/c you can get something so much cooler and often better than a store bought item of the same price.   Of course, "cooler" and "better" might not be what others would think?

I have no one who gives me anything homemade, and I know I would love it.  I say, don't worry about it b/c the cash value isn't what should determine if a gift is "good."  I'll stop ranting now, I've just been disgusted by having to stop at a local big box store and see everyone crazily shopping for the holiday this week, BLEH!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #262 on: November 18, 2007 10:28:28 PM »

It's a shame when people don't appreciate the thought, but if you know who they are, just give them a gift certificate.  I personally love when I get a gift that has clearly taken time to put together, rather then something I could have just gotten myself.  Each year I cull one or two people from my gift exchanging list, because it just gets to be too much.  Now I have an extensive card list, but actually only exchange gifts with family and a few select friends.  Try it, it will make your life so much easier, and you may find others are relieved as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinnamon teal
« Reply #263 on: November 18, 2007 10:59:30 PM »

Well, as far as money goes, my hubby and I are on a pretty tight budget (darn grad school) so if I can stretch the money I have by making something handmade, I'm totally doing it.  I figure, that way i can give better gifts than if I bought everything from a store.  But that said, there are some people on my list who I do not make things for anymore.  Handmade gifts are for those who I know will appreciate them.  I also try really hard to match the person's tastes and not just make something that I think is nifty, ya know?

I think your ideas sound excellent.  Pretty much everyone likes baked goods and vanilla, and it sounds like your sil and mil will really appreciate the aprons. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

silk81
« Reply #264 on: November 19, 2007 01:03:13 AM »

Well, I like giving away handmade gifts. I allways spend a lot of time planning and making them. Most of my friends like them and some of them even order handmade bags and purses as birthday gifts.

But one of my best friends doesn't seem to appreciate them. So I end up making something for her and realizing that it would have been easier just to buy something.

Giving away something handmade to crafty people is fun, too. Sometimes I try to think of something that they can't make themselves. In other cases they get inspired by what I made and thats a great feeling, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I wish my lipstick was a little more ... HALLUCINOGENIC!

Join the Boy Clothes Sewalong
BadWolf
« Reply #265 on: November 19, 2007 08:30:57 AM »

Lately some of my friends have been hinting that they want me to make things for them for christmas, especially the ones who just moved out from their parents' places and are on their own. They're like "Oh! Can you make coasters for me? Or a wallhanging?!" Giddy. Haha. and my dad is wanting a crocheted wool hat since he's a mailman and it's coooold out. My bf even wants handmade. I hit the jackpot! Buuut, I do like to give little storebought items with the handmade stuff. Like if I see a pair of inexpensive earrings I know someone will love I give them to them with the scarf/hat/coasters/whatever. Most of my friends are artists so they dig on the handmade stuff.

I know everyone on my mom's side would love homemade things(looooots of crafters on that side, three cousins, two aunts that craft hardcore). My dad's side I'm not sure about. I have a feeling they'd dig on it too though. Hmm... *plots in a seemingly evil, though unevil nature*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crocheted Carrot
« Reply #266 on: November 19, 2007 08:44:37 AM »

Wow, this must be a big boat to fit all us guilty crafters...

I have stopped feeling too bad about the imbalance though, for several reasons.  First, even if I'm not going out and spending money on supplies for each gift (which I often do) then I know I spent money on the stuff that is in my stash at some point.  Yarn isn't free no matter how long it's been in your closet.  Second, I put genuine thought into what it is people will appreciate or what I think they will get use out of.  I can understand feeling guilty if you're just whipping out 30 identical scarves for everyone you know because you just learned an awesome new stitch and wanted to try it out.  But if you are taking the time to consider the person's taste and needs, then you are doing what the best among commercial gift givers do.  I know I certainly don't care how much someone spends on me; but I definitely notice when people put in the thought and effort to buy or make something I'll love. 

Besides, we need to be at the forefront of the holiday scale-down revolution.  I think people are just waiting for permission to not take out a second mortgage just to fund Christmas each year.  Start a trend!  Let people know that the warmth and depth of the heart will ALWAYS be richer than the wallet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Retromiad

I have to send it WHEN?!?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #267 on: November 19, 2007 08:55:27 AM »

Well said, crocheted Carrot. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BadWolf
« Reply #268 on: November 19, 2007 09:01:30 AM »

Hear hear!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pgbeader
« Reply #269 on: November 19, 2007 09:21:51 AM »

I defiantly think that my homemade gifts are unappreciated Sad! Last year I made all my friends and family homemade gifts. I made all beaded jewellery and home decor and I spent HOURS making them and spent Christmas eve finishing them and I haven't seen them being worn/used once!! My mum nagged be to make her a necklace and she hasn't worn it once!! When I visited my friend I found my candles stuffed at the back of the cupboard!! I'm not making handmade gifts again unless someone asks me for something in particular!!

I don't think that giving homemade gifts is being cheap because of the amount of time it takes to make it,think of what to do and finding or making patterns.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 45 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...