A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 302,964
Currently Running With Scissors:
674 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 45
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Holiday Handmade gift disappointment :(  (Read 58111 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lutheranchick
« Reply #60 on: February 06, 2006 06:52:55 PM »

Good grief, I can't remember the last time I actually told someone I didn't like the gift they gave me.... If I had thrown something on the floor screaming because it wasn't what I had anticipated, I don't know what my parents would have done to me, but I can tell you it would have hurt. If I got all snotty about a handmade bracelet (my SIL gave me one, by the way, with my daughter's name on it and I LOVE IT) my mother would be reaming me out for months.
My great-aunts are masters (mistresses?) of craft and I grew up thinking hand-knitted dolls and afghans were my birthright. One of them would give us stuff she obviously bought at garage sales, like old books about Donny and Marie, and I loved that stuff, too. Its a present, for crying out loud. It's FREE.
The hand knitted Barbie clothes did kind of suck, though. They made Barbie look fat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
FIFI

It's useful being top banana in the shock dept.

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2006 03:52:42 AM »

Mommabear19, what a lovely story and yes, this is what it is really about. This story brought tears to my eyes. You are a special person. For every person who makes light of a gift or doesn't appreciate the thought/time/love that goes into it, there is a person who is the total opposite. This is what we have to focus on - because they really understand.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mommabear1963

Life is a Long Lesson in Humility"Isaac Asimov"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2006 07:16:22 AM »

thanks FIFI.  Just thought I would give you an update on the handcrafts here at the Farm.  We are having a banquet tonight and we generally have a silent auction to raise money for the residents support (we don't turn serious applicants away because they cannot pay), but this year the residents made stuff, hats, washcloths, jewelry, keychains, and they are giving them away and asking for donations so that they can raise money to send them to a school to learn how to build a special kind of dome house (storm resistent, energy efficient, etc) and the hats that are left over they are taking to the homeless.  Not only are they learning to be clean (drug free), and work ethics but they are learning gratefulness and compassion.  And if they ever balked at a gift in their lives I don't believe this group ever will again. 

You should see some of the jewelry I wear, I have 5 kids and 6 nieces and nephews, I wear every piece they make me.  HA Ha,
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tawna1121
« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2006 10:02:08 AM »

I just wanted to respond to the comment about the barbie clothes...yes they alway get stuck on her hand. My Aunt Nokie was a true crafter ( I think thats where I get it from ) although I'm not sure she ever new what an impact she had on me. From the time I was a tiny lil thing she made me barbie clothes. Nice ones, southern bell gowns, Nighties, stuff that looked better than store bought , more durable and easier for lil hands to put on. I adored her . Then when I was 13 she died suddenly in her sleep . I was devasted. I put away all my barbies ( I was a teenager now) ...then last christmas i found a box in storage Labeled " Tawna's Stuff " I opened it up and there was over 150 of these beautiful outfits she had made me. I sat down and cried. I truly beileve that ,even though i didnt realize it til now , she's the reason I'm a crafter . No one else even knits. I crochet, paint , draw, sew, poly clay , you name it I do it. So remember if your gift isnt well recieved now ....you just dont know how much it might effect that person later.  She was my Crafty role model . :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

To Live is to Create to Create is to live !
joesherryw
« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2006 10:42:02 AM »

I know this thread started a couple of months ago, and as usual I'm late. I have been spared the embarrassment of unappreciated gifts due to the postal service losing half of my gifts, and the fact I'm not there to see anyones reactions. I do think I would be crushed if my gifts weren't appreciated, and I am so sorry to the people that it happened to. People are ridiculous, and the four year old throwing that fit, well that is ridiculous. My kids are being raised with the handmade is better attitude, oh and manners. There are so many great people on this board, and so much talent. I have to admit I go through these boards wishing I had half the talent that everyone else seems to possess and longinly wish that I had people to craft such awesome gifts for me. I could go on and on about this subject but I will stop now and leave it at, you all are a bunch of super talented, good hearted individuals, don't let the ingrates get you down. I suggest a dollar store holiday for all the complainers.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 12, 2006 10:15:57 AM »

Heh, a little late I suppose, but since I just joined craftster...I'll have that be my excuse ^_^

No, you're not alone in getting a less then warm reception to your heart-made work. If, after all this time after the fact, they haven't indicated they liked what they got (sincerely), then don't bother making anything for them again. Spend your time (which is a valuable asset) only on making things for those who do appreciate your efforts. Let everyone else be stuck with the generic storebought stuff. You'll get more joy out of it, and so will everyone else. And the people you do make things for will know that you took a special effort just for them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
mixymo

Craftsters + HP Fandom = Best people in the world!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2006 01:50:49 AM »

you know what hun...the responses you got for your (im sure wonderful) handmade gifts are their baggage, not yours. Don't feel bad about people being ass hats. You worked your tail off making from the heart gifts and you deserve an award for that. Smiley

*giggles* ass hats..i have never heard that insult before! haha

but cheer up sweetie, some people just dont get it. it's the thought that counts! i say, as long as you like making it it doesnt matter if they like it. it just means that you can take it back and keep it. and brag about your awesomely cool handmade thing that was *almost* theirs
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wists

The Sketchbook Project 2012: Across the World
Sandi76
« Reply #67 on: August 20, 2006 10:26:05 PM »

I know this post is kinda old, but I just ran across it and had to respond.  I am always on the receiving end of the unappreciated recipients.  I have learned the hard way not to let it bother me.  About 12 years ago I made my grandmother a type of family tree.  I drew a wreath of flowers and carefully colored the flowers with colored pencils.  Inside the wreath I put my grandparents names and date they were married.  In the upper corners I put their parents names.  Then I added my aunts & uncles names and how many grandchildren and great grandchildren there were at the time.  My grandmother loved it and had it framed.  Now my father was always bragging about how great my younger brother was at drawing and how bad I was.  My father couldn't understand why my gm had it framed!  Well, my grandmother died six years ago and guess what!  My father has that family tree on his wall.  He showed it to my husband one day and bragged about how good it was. 
Then this past Christmas I busted my butt on a cross stitch sampler for my older brother who was returning from Iraqi in January.  For some unknown reason (only he knows) he has had a problem with me for 8 yrs.  Anyway my younger brother gave him my gift (I had to work) and he opened it and just laid it on the table.  He was going to throw it away, but my younger brother stopped him.  It was a sampler about the love of a brother and sister through the years.  Well, my younger brother asked me if it was all right if he kept it and hung it up in his room.  I told him that was fine because he was supposed to get one kinda like it for his birthday this year. 
 I have decided that if I am going to put my heart & soul into a project to make sure the person getting it is worth it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My heroes don't wear capes or sparkle, they wear combat boots & dog tags!
Swaps: Key Themed
naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2006 12:20:23 AM »

slbdww76: at least your younger brother appreciated your efforts and saw its value. I'm sorry that your other brother was a putz about it. And uhm..parents...yeah they can be weird about things like that lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
flying_babyb
Monkey Queen

Monkey QUEEN

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2006 10:23:40 PM »

I know how you guys feel. I have had some gifts go unapreacated. My sister seems to love my gifts. I also have two younger cousins (6 and 7) who will REQUEST that I make them gifts. Last year, the six year old begged me to make her a bed set for her dolly. The other one wanted a new doll crib. I spent at least 40 hours on the two gifts but they were overjoyed. Heck the crib is the first thing the kids show there freinds. This year.... A ninga turtle fortress and a pimpin chair( she picked up at a flea market)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Monkey girl
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 45 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Playing Darts - Games of 301 and 501
Playing Darts - Proper Technique
Playing Darts - Equipment
Playing Darts - Basics
Learn how to Make Henna and the Henna Cone
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...