A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 296,402
Currently Running With Scissors:
770 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Taking checks at craft fairs  (Read 11045 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

arizabif
« on: June 03, 2004 05:57:16 PM »

I'm getting ready to do my first outdoor craft fair.  I feel more comfortable running things cash-only, but some people, (ok, just my sister), are predicting doom and gloom if I am not willing to take checks. 

All of my stuff is priced $35 and under, and this particular fair will be in a downtown area, where the city closes off a few blocks of the street.  There are bound to be atm's nearby, if people need to get cash.  I was thinking that as a compromise, if some one really insisted on writing a check, I would offer to hold their item until the check cleared, and then mail it to an address they provide.  That way, if the check bounces, I am not out my products.  Of course, my sister thinks this is a stupid idea, and will drive away business.  Of course, she's never done a craft fair, but she's a busy body, so you know how that goes... Wink

Thoughts?  Comments?  Suggestions?   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
plainmabel
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2004 06:08:36 PM »

I took checks at a fair once and had no problems.  What I did was request to see a drivers license so I could match up the address on the license and the check.  If you want more security, you can ask for a phone number or write down the license number.  Chances are, very few people will want to write checks anyway, so the risk is pretty minimal.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Plain Mabel :: Extraordinary Gifts and Accessories
Awful Cufflinks :: Everyday stuff, just better.
Goddess
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2004 07:09:56 PM »

I wouldn't take checks. I have been burned so many times, and 35 bucks here, 35 bucks there adds up. Perhaps you should ask your sister if she wants to guarantee any checks you might take? *grin*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sewing stars
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2004 06:27:50 AM »

I have taken checks at sales. So far I have not had any problems. i would say if you are that concerned, and there are plenty of ATMs nearby then go ahead with cash only. Where I have done fairs there isn't usually an easy access ATM, so I take checks.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.sewingstars.com
never forget how to fly...
katiekat82

Here, kitty, kitty, kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2004 08:38:24 AM »

I think it depends-- If you're going to have a lot of older people (who are basically the only ones who write checks) then I would say, yeh, go ahead and take them. You could take them on a case by case basis-- For example, only do it if the total is over $20 and the person says "Oh, darn it, I don't have enough cash. Can I write a check?" DEFINITELY get their license and phone number though. I would also make sure your bank doesn't charge you if a check bounces from someone else (If I deposit a check from "BOB" and his check bounces, not only am I out the money, but my credit union charges me $5... so I never, ever accept checks!). ^_^

-Katiekat
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dolly Parton is my spiritual leader, and Clint Eastwood is my sewing buddy.
stevenjames
what are you gonna make today?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2004 08:52:19 AM »

I think you'll know right away if the check is good or bad - if it's a low number and has absolutely no information - don't take it.  Getting the driver's license information is a great idea - and the phone number is key - you can also offer to send the item once the check has cleared (but that's postage costs on your part). 

Of course if you do receive a bad check the next time you attend your craft fair inform you fellow vendors (in some way) so that they don't fall victim to the same situation.

If you're able to actually take the check in back of your booth to "verify" it - it could potentially spook anyone who's writing bad checks - just open a binder and look at pages (you're pretending to be looking for something)

You might also check with your fellow vendors - perhaps the person next door has a mobile check verification system - they are really cool - but pricey.

Good luck!  What are you selling?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

learn how to torch enamel: http://macaroniandglitter.com/classes

follow me on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/stevenjames
kbgjess
Owner/Designer

... take my hand... we'll make it I swear...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2004 05:37:11 AM »

I take checks at shows, but I let everyone know that there's a fee (20.00) if it bounces.  I also check licenses and take a phone numbers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crochet isn't just a hobby... it's an obsession.
katiekat82

Here, kitty, kitty, kitty...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2004 06:14:08 AM »

How do you charge the $20 fee? Do you have a way to electronically resubmit the check?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dolly Parton is my spiritual leader, and Clint Eastwood is my sewing buddy.
lexscreations
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2004 08:02:33 AM »

Many of my best sales have been made to customers who paid by check (and probably would not have been made otherwise).  I always take checks, but those who say to check IDs and get phone numbers are absolutely right.

I've done tons of craft fairs, and taken lots of checks; and I haven't gotten burned yet...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftygurl
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2004 06:38:02 AM »

I think it would be fine to take just cash, since all the items are less than $35.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Use the Color Pallet
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to View the Info Pallet
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Assign and Convert Profile
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Set Keyboard Shortcuts
Adobe Photoshop CS2 - How to Set Color Settings
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...