A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,115
Currently Running With Scissors:
729 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baby gift questions (Time sensitive)  (Read 971 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

monstergirl
« on: June 03, 2004 02:31:01 PM »

A good friend of mine just got back into town, 9 months pregnant (she's having a c-section next week) and invited me to her baby shower. On Sunday.

I searched craftster, and I am thinking of knitting up a set of booties and a cap. The booties shouldn't take too long, but I'm looking at the Umbilical Cord Cap from SnB (which I have loaned out to someone, dammit) and am wondering how long it will take to knit up. I can knit an adult-sized sock in about 4 hours, if that gives you an idea of how quick I knit.

Question #2: suggestions for yarn? I'm assuming a baby- or sport-weight yarn (because the booties are small), but should it be acrylic or cotton, or what? Someone here spoke about the potential for wool allergies, and I'd hate for the baby to get a rash from my gift!

Question #3: the other idea (I saw here) was to embroider some baby onesies. Anyone have any input as to which would be quicker (and more baby appropraite)?

Oh, as additional info: its her 3rd child, but her other two are pretty much grown. I want to craft something for her the baby can use, and I know she'd appreciate a homemade gift.

Thanks!
peace
monstergirl
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justwantacraft
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004 10:03:22 PM »

lots of patterns here:
http://home.inreach.com/marthac/babie.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monstergirl
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2004 08:37:16 AM »

Thanks for the link. I ended up using the bootie pattern from http://www.fuzzygalore.com and the umbilical cord hat from SnB. The hat took me about 2 hours from start to finish (I knitted it up at a family b-day party the day before the shower LOL), the booties took about 4 hours each.

I used a horrid Jamie Baby yarn from Lion Brand (white twisted around a blue-green, on sale at Michaels and the white was broken throughout the skein; just a pain and a half) for the booties, and that plus a white Red Heart worsted for the cap.

Thanks again for the link!
peace
mg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justwantacraft
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2004 07:53:34 PM »

I can't see any bootie pattern at the link you gave. The link is a girl and her bike link.
I hate it when yarn has thoes problems. I know that yarn with the tinsel in it I bought some of that baby yarn and even though I know better I bought it and I hate it. LOL
THIS ROCKS   Logged
monstergirl
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2004 09:21:45 AM »

Ah, and I generally check my links before I post them...it's .biz not .com sorry about that!

Here's the correct link http://www.fuzzygalore.biz/patterns/cbbooties.shtml

peace
mg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 2/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 3/12
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 10/12
How to Crochet an 8 Inch Hole Christmas Tree Skirt Part 6/6
How to Crochet Baby Booties in 20 Minutes Part 1/12
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #97-Container Crafting
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...