A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,568
Currently Running With Scissors:
491 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Felting A Scarf  (Read 1787 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meeg17
« on: December 23, 2005 11:30:44 AM »

Hello There,

I am fairly new to felting.  I have gotten pretty good at needle felting but I'm still working on the wet felting.

I have 2 questions about making scarves:

1.  How much wool is really used?  I laid out 3 thin layers and when I was done you could see through it, but when I made it thicker it seems too thick.

and

2.  How do you form the edges so they are strait or whatever other shape you want them to be, how do you achieve that.

Any advice is much appreciated, I just moved and my internet is not hooked up yet but when it is I will post pictures.

Thanks!

Megan
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jane Doe
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005 07:42:28 AM »

Hi Megan,

In answering your questions;
1) how much wool to use, is really up to you. I've made items that use the thinnest layers and when the three layers were laid, it was still thin enough to read print undernieth it. I've also made a sturdy hat that had quite thick layers. You can use either thick or thin layers when creating felt, but you will gain different effects depending on your layers.
2) Forming edges is difficult - straight or otherwise. Generally felters don't aim to felt perfectly straight edges on their projects. They will most often be a little wavy due to how the wool shrinks.

Like needle-felting, it does take a little while to "Feel" your way around a project when wet felting.
What you can do however to make the transition from needle-felting to wet-felting easier, is to blend techniques. Start your project by using your needle-felting tool to loosely poke your project to help keep it in place during the wet-felting process.

Also, to help us all in honing our wet + needle felting skills, once a month we are holding a felt along. January's project will be a needle felting project, but Febuary's will be a wet felting project. Hope to see you join in  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meeg17
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006 12:14:52 PM »

Awesome!  Thanks so much for the advice, I'd love to join the felt along Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
corduroy cat
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2006 05:15:14 PM »

i'm looking to start making scarves as well, keep us posted on your progress Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
meeg17
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006 08:22:11 AM »

I will!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
corduroy cat
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2006 04:37:41 PM »

ok so i attempted a scarf this weekend and here's my results....
i used 2 thick layers of roving, it was about 25g of each colour, so about 50g total. this proved to be a bit too thick actually, and i made it a bit too wide as well Tongue everything went smoothly until i had to felt the other half of the scarf (my screen would only cover half at a time), pulled up the screen and immediately tossed it onto the still dry loose roving, causing it to totally destroy my pattern layers Sad so the end half turned out a bit wonky but i cut it off and now it's fine. i used my rotary cutter to slice off the uneven edges and that worked perfectly!
so in future i will try to do thinner layers and not throw anything onto the part that still hasnt been felted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jane Doe

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006 06:21:41 PM »

everything went smoothly until i had to felt the other half of the scarf (my screen would only cover half at a time), pulled up the screen and immediately tossed it onto the still dry loose roving, causing it to totally destroy my pattern layers Sad

Screen? Huh What's this screen you're felting with?

Sounds like you and I use very different techniques Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

corduroy cat
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2006 07:05:51 AM »

hmm i mean like the cloth mesh you put over the dry roving you've laid out? then you pour soapy water on it and start a rubbin! is this not how you do it jane? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jane Doe

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2006 02:51:14 PM »

Ah yes, I use the cloth mesh. I just didn't think to call it a screen   Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged

corduroy cat
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2006 04:52:35 PM »

eh it was probably just me making up words for things...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Photograph Running Water
How to Photograph Landscapes
Photographing a Common Toad
Photographing Sea Birds
Photographing Woodland Birds
Latest Blog Articles
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...