A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
427 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: plus sizes?  (Read 2837 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

allisonwonderland
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2004 01:09:33 PM »

yeah...I agree..its very very hard to phind cute stuff in bigger sizes.I am a plus size(but am dieting now so not for much longer)....and I can never ever find antyhing that is not ugly to fit me.I wear a lot of patchy/hippie stuff..so its not alywas hard to find that(a lot can be bought custom)...but othe studd alway was.Like jeans......they always looked like sumpin my grandmother would wear...anyway,,yeah,,I would buy stuff form your website,,,,,,,I think you would do very well also....its is a very ignored market
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gaffagirl1

Summer's kiss is over, baby

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2004 08:34:06 PM »

Good News!

Wednesday I'm meeting with a printer who thinks he may have what I'm looking for: larger size ladies cut T shirts!! I'm stoked. I'll let you all know how it goes.

Amy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Curse softly to me, baby, and smother me in your love. Temptation comes not from hell but from above.
aranel
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2004 01:19:22 AM »

I've found places at the mall that sell plus-sizes, but they're always an arm and a leg. It's totally not worth it half the time.

I hate having to buy clothes that my mom wants to borrow.

Right now I'm working on a line of plus-size clothes. Not really expensive stuff, but cute and made with care. I'm trying to get enough stuff made or enough interest for consignment to open a site that's solely for plus-size clothes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2004 05:02:59 AM »

My problem with finding ready made clothes that fit is that all are manufactured to a b-cup.  Even the plus sizes usually.  As a plus size with a triple d cup, it's so super frustrating to have to deal with the stupid folds and bunching that happens all the time in the under arm/ side boob area because there aren't any darts.  I can't find a single sleeveless top in the entire mall that I can wear with out those huge gaps that show way too much bra.  Just something to keep in mind when designing for plus sizes.  Plus size is usually curvy, and curvy usually means a bigger chest.  good luck with your new line!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
gaffagirl1

Summer's kiss is over, baby

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2004 05:09:50 AM »

Beppycat,

I know exactly what you mean. I am constantly adding darts to shirts I buy at the mall, and that concept is one of the reasons I'm doing this.

You're website is awesome, by the way. I stumbled onto it last week and was very impressed! If you have a price list can you email it to me? gaffagirl1@yahoo.com

Amy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Curse softly to me, baby, and smother me in your love. Temptation comes not from hell but from above.
ChicChick
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2004 11:44:35 AM »

Regarding plus sizes cut for B cup, this is usually true.  I read somewhere recently online or in a magazine on how to cut patterns to compensate for larger bust sizes.  I wish I had made note of it.  I'll try to find it and come back to post it here.

Chic Chick
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BeppyCat
I've never licked a spark plug.

www.beppycat.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2004 01:12:57 PM »

I know exactly what you mean. I am constantly adding darts to shirts I buy at the mall, and that concept is one of the reasons I'm doing this.

I've decided that the time has come to just learn to alter patterns for myself.  I know how to sew rather well, but I've never done much sewing for myself because the patterns need to be altered.  It was always much easier to use them as is like I can for my niece.  I guess that's the blessing of being three, lol.  Some nice sleeveless button down shirts that fit well are next on my list.  Well, maybe not directly next, but only like three down.   Grin

You're website is awesome, by the way. I stumbled onto it last week and was very impressed! If you have a price list can you email it to me?

Thanks so much!  That's very nice of you to say.  I've sent you my current price list.  It does contain some things that I haven't added to the website yet.  Just thought I'd warn you so you didn't wonder where they were.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And I don't look good in leggings.

http://beppycat.blogspot.com/
Lurkers and commentors welcome.
Lots of crocheting and sewing and knitting!  Pretty much my life for your consumption.
Serendipity
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2004 02:39:46 PM »

Just thought I'd put in a plug for a friend's mom -- She's starting a business that sells plus-sized kids' (maybe juniors too? I'm not sure) clothes that are supposed to be well-fitted and just as attractive as the clothes in "regular" stores. The site is http://www.caitlinandcaleb.com if anyone wants to check it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

manukenkun

I'm learning...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2004 07:52:26 PM »

Sorry- been without internet access so i'm haiving to catch up a bit here. What annoys me the most right now is the store I helped set up is not stocking the clothes I can wear- I know I mentioned that in my earlier post but the more I think about it the madder it makes me. It seems so hard to find things in plus sizes and then to only be able to order small amounts usually means people won't deal with us. i understand the reason behind having minimum orders and not wanting to deal on consignment but we run our store as volunteers and have very tight budget margins. Blah...it's 3.30 am and I'm not too coherant. It's just it's hard to make a stand and say 'no we will pay out several hundred pounds/dollars to order fat stuff rather than skinny girl stuff' when everything we sell at the moment is a size L at the most- people don't want to take the risk on ordering a whole bunch of stuff for fatties like me.
I think also the fat-positive movement is waaaay behind the US over here- when I come over to the US I am really impressed by how much larger sizes you can find- it might not seem like it to you right now- but belive me there's nothing like it over here! Recently a few (2) high street stores have been taking their range upto (UK) size 22 which is great, but of course the larger sizes sell out faster because they are the sizes people want.
Blah- so yes! I would love to see some designs and maybe place an order with any of you talented people who do plus size clothes- I think this is something i'm just going to have to take a personal responsibility for...and when the fat chicks come flocking I can bathe in the glory!
Did ANY of that make coherant sense?
Camilla x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.madebymilla.com

Handmade vintage inspired clothing and cards
libragirl
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2004 12:09:23 PM »

hi....all my stuff is size 14+
THIS ROCKS   Logged

visit my etsy shop
www.thecraftorium.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit Keepsake Bags with a Loom Part 2/5
How to Knit Keepsake Bags with a Loom Part 1/5
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 30/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 7/30
How to Knit Homemade Socks with a Loom Part 5/30
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...