A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,106
Currently Running With Scissors:
628 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The "Nice to Grow You" Upside down planter...Tutorial Added Below  (Read 54932 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , planter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meowari
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2005 04:46:53 PM »

What a great idea, I did the upside-down planter thing last year, but I just used a hanging planter that I got at Wal- Mart and cut a hole in the bottom. It worked okay, but it was too wide and it dried out really fast. I tried to plant basil on top, to utilize the space and to shade the roots, but I got tired of crawling out of my window to water them every day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shimmeryhz

Must learn to knit, must learn to quilt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2005 07:18:59 PM »

some tomatoes that would do great this way are patio or cherry tomatoes like others said before - tiny tim and sweet 100 are some of the more common ones. you might even be able to start yellow cherry tomatoes from seed.... I'm going to try this with sweet 100 and hang them from my pergola! what a great idea! these types of planters retail for $16-20 from specialty garden supply stores!

julie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rissaroo
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2005 06:45:22 AM »

here is the one i made out of a jeans leg. This was taken a few weeks ago, and they have grown considerably since. thanks for the idea!

« Last Edit: June 26, 2005 06:47:24 AM by rissaroo » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Girlinsoop

Someday, rabbit, I will finally finnish a project.

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2005 02:33:50 PM »

Those are adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StephanieAz03
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2005 03:34:42 PM »

Such a neat Idea!!! I have to try this!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
goatgoddess
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: June 29, 2005 02:35:01 PM »

How neat - I have never seen anything like this - would work very nicely with some mint. New weekend project - thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hipmama1970
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2005 10:25:25 PM »

I love this! I bet this would keep those nasty slugs out of my tomatoes, too!  Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jen, homeschooling mom of 4
moilulu
I have no idea what I'm doing!

shit happens

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: July 18, 2005 03:54:42 PM »

I planted (was husband's idea saw it in a mag.)tomatoes & peppers in hanging bags -- son-in-law owns a greenhouse business bags were free as was the soil & plantlings got to lve free stuff!!!

they are now starting to bare fruit
Great idea
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a day without knitting is like a month without sunshine

I will knit for you in a personal swaps !!!!
(cause that's what I do!)

http://www.wists.com/moilulu
antimony
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2006 10:52:50 AM »

I know I'm resurecting a super-old thread, but I came across this thread and would really like to give these upsided-down 2-liter planters a try this year, and I was wondering:

Those of you that did this last year, did your plants survive the hotest part of the summer? Did you get a decent crop of tomatoes? Any other problems, or did they end up working really well?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rissaroo
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2006 02:02:14 PM »

If you do this, i would advise using at least a 3-liter, planting early, watering A LOT, and mulching, planting a small herb, or otherwise covering the open end.

When I made mine, i killed a couple of plants trying to thread them through the opening. They need to be large enough for the leaves and stems to reach up and out to get light, but if they are too large it is difficult to thread through bottle opening.

Also, a 2-liter container doesn't really hold enough soil to keep the plant in good water, unless you water 2 or 3 times a day. Tomatos need a LOT of water. Mine didn't get enough, so I only got about 5 fruits off of each plant. Mine turned very "leggy" and bare. It also evaporates out the open end, so find some way to cover this.

This year I'm going to try tomato plants in containers, but i am sticking with regular pots and stakes. I ordered some container "super bush" tomato seeds from Renee's Garden.

You also might want to check out yougrowgirl.com - they have a forum on container gardening which might have some tips on this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jennifer Aniston Glams Up in Dior and Talks About Her Wedding Dress
Currently Trending: All Things Blue
4 Outfits to Inspire Your Coachella Attire
Ways To Wear White Pants
The Cutout Look Is Perfect For Spring
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...