A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 313,034
Currently Running With Scissors:
564 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The "Nice to Grow You" Upside down planter...Tutorial Added Below  (Read 62797 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , planter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

se roule un mouton

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2005 03:55:30 AM »

I'm so going to try this... I just love cherry tomatoes... and it's a great way to get it out of the cats reach (he ate my sunflower sprout last year Sad)

<("<) <( " )> (>")>
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2005 06:44:57 AM »

i just made one like this with peppers and am waiting for my cherry tomoatos to sprout so i can plant them.

I didn't have any burlap, but i cut the lower leg off and old pair of jeans, and then used that to make the "sock." i used embroidery thread to gather the ankle, which goes aound the neck of the soda bottle, and then decorated the top with some lace. i used a piece of wire to hold the top of the bottle but also put on a ribbon at the top of the sock to hang it from.

the stem of my pepper plant broke as i was dealing with the upside-down situation, so hopefully it will still grow. i will keep you posted, thanks for the idea!

Someday, rabbit, I will finally finnish a project.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2005 08:01:56 AM »

That sounds so lovely rissaroo! Do you have any pictures to share?

Im a Barbie Girl! In a Barbie World...

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2005 07:40:20 PM »

Wow! Those look really cute! I'm going to have to share this idea with my mother.....hey maybe even i will make one. Im not much of a gardener, but looks easier enough! Right? Undecided

Visit Grannyscupboard.net for great bath products made of all natural ingrediants. Soaps,Bath Balls, Shower Gels, Bubble Bath, Luxurious handcrafted soaps, and more. They are all at your fingertips! Go now!
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2005 09:20:41 PM »

I made these this afternoon! Thanks for the great idea!

One word of advice though, don't buy tomato plants that are big and then try and stuff them through the little pop bottle hole! My poor little plant was sure put through the ringer! The second one I tried I just cut a bigger hole at the bottle top. I think that this wasn't a good idea though, because I didn't fully read the instructions and didn't put pebbles at the bottom. Oops!

I feel silly, but I've never posted a picture on here before, and can't really figure it out for the time being. My plants are pretty plain anyhow, I just tied them to a hook with jute.

There's one on either side of my window outside (I live on the second floor of a house).

I'm definitely crossing my fingers that this works... I love fresh tomatoes!
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2005 02:34:52 PM »

These are such a great idea! I have about 15 clay pots with various herbs growing in them right now, as well as 10 styrofoam cups where I have been germinating some more herbs and flowers. I was away this past weekend for a few days, and no one watered them so now I am trying to save some of my poor, dried up plants.

Alas, I will need to give these upside down planters a try! I just need to save up bottles, as I don't usually drink soda anymore. Thanks for the great idea and tutorial!

what is it about squid that octopis our mind so?

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2005 07:51:25 AM »

Alas, I will need to give these upside down planters a try! I just need to save up bottles, as I don't usually drink soda anymore.

Not to be really gross, but if you go to a bottle&can return area (if your state has a deposit) there are ALWAYS bottles left over that did not scan and are just tossed aside somewhere. I don't drink that much soda either, and that's where I got mine.

when nuclear dust has extinguished their betters
will turtles surviving wear people neck sweaters?
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2005 04:34:06 PM »

i will try to post a picture. I am not sure if the pepper plant survived the trauma, but i have some cherry tomatos sprouting so hopefully will have another go with them once they get a bit bigger.

I too have a lineup of herbs in terracotta pots along the front porch-area and my office window.

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2005 09:11:56 AM »

Wow!  That looks great.  I recently moved into a second story apartment and I've been wanting to grow some veggies and herbs on my patio - but I don't seem to be having too much luck because it is relatively shadey through the day with only a good hour or two of sunlight in the morning.

Are there any small tomato types that grow okay without too much sun - or are all tomatos very sun demanding?

I'd love to try this with chillies as well - providing my husband promises not to pick and eat one directly from my garden again!  At my old apt...I was growing habanero plants and he picked and ate one of the habanero peppers.... Little did he realize that home grown, organic stuff tends to be much stronger and more flavourful than shop purchased veggies.  I nearly had to figure out on the spot how to drive him to ER because of how hot the habanero was ;P  That'll teach him to be macho!

Ha!  My husband cut one up so he could taste a small piece.  I told him to be careful and not touch his face until after he washed his hands.  Well he had to pee and figured he'd be washing his hands after he peed, so he waited. I still remember the screaming...
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2005 08:37:36 AM »

I told my mom about this upside down tomato plant idea, and she loved it. She is the master gardener. Tongue She had some little pepper plants left over from when we went plant crazy and bought a bajillion, so she took a green soda bottle, because she figured it would keep the sun from killing the roots, and is now growing the pepper plant in it. The plant looks really good and healthy. It's not as pretty as yours, because it's just a green bottle help up by a plant hanger, but it does its job!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Emma Rees Shows You How to Get the Glamourous Soft Wave Look
Holiday Hair Tips: The Perfect Up-Do
What Makes People’s Hair Get All Frizzy?
How to Do a French Plait Bun
How to Do a Fishtail Seashell Bun
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kitty Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...