A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,890
Currently Running With Scissors:
740 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The "Nice to Grow You" Upside down planter...Tutorial Added Below  (Read 54999 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , planter  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Girlinsoop

Someday, rabbit, I will finally finnish a project.

View Profile
« on: June 02, 2004 06:40:16 PM »

This is my upside down tomato planter. It is constructed with an empty soda bottle, burlap and yarn. Its great when you want fresh tomatoes and have no space!

I heart plants!

8/3/2004....Here is a photo from a week or so ago...The tomatoes have started to ripen!

Y'all are so nice! So here is my first attempt at a tutorial....Hopeful ly this will help with some of the questions...
Take any plastic bottle, clean it out and cut off the bottom. The hanging part is where you would have to be creative. I made a "sock" type of thing out of burlap, but that was just to make it pretty. Otherwise, just some holes and a sturdy rope would work just fine.
Once you have figured out and made how you are going to hang it, fill the bottle in the following order:
Poke the tomato plant sprout through the opening of the bottle, so that the sprout is sticking out
Throw in a small amount of small pebbles, (this will help to keep the soil in the bottle while you are watering.
Next, fill the bottle the rest of the way with soil
Throw in some water (tomatoes need A LOT of water) and hang in a sunny spt.
Here is a very elaborate and scientifically correct diagram (yea, right)

I had a potted tomato plant that sat on the gound under the hanging one, so when you watered one, it drained onto the other.
Some hints:
*Chooose your plants wisely....There are like a bazillion types of tomatoes, so you need to find one that bears relativly small fruit, like cherry tomatoes.
*I chose burlap becuase it is very sturdy and it hides dirt!

Next year I am going to try small chili peppers!

Happy planting!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011 11:50:19 AM by PixieVal - Reason: combined tutorial into first post » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Girlinsoop

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2004 07:34:18 PM »

Actually, its a small cherry tomato version called "4th of July". They are small, and bear fruit on one stem, it kind of looks like a bunch of grapes when they grow.
This is the first time I am trying this, so it is really a test.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amelia bedelia
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2004 07:45:12 PM »

woah! how did you make that? it looks so awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn it feels good to be a gangster
Mikania
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2004 08:22:05 PM »

That's an interesting idea.  I would have never thought of it.

There are tomato varieties out there (Patio King is one I know off-hand) that grow really well in containers.  I grew a 4th of July in the ground last year and it got quite big, so I'm not sure how yours will do.  If it doesn't work out, look around for tomatoes that grow in containers.  I think I've seen mention of some out there that will grow in a hanging basket.

I also highly recommend checking out the book "The Bountiful Container Garden" to anyone with limited space who wants to grow veggies in containers.  Before I got a P-Patch (a city-owned plot of land one pays a small yearly fee for), I tried growing just about any veggie imaginable on a small porch.  I worshiped this book- and still do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Girlinsoop

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004 05:07:05 PM »

We have tomatoes!
There are about 15 on the plant and the first one ripened all the way today. I took a picture, but can't fin the camera cable. I will post photo when I find it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
geekburger

I'm a Beastie!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2004 02:48:34 PM »

hmmm..  Smiley i just might have to try that. not much a gardener. i killed a cactus. and it was one of the ones you dont have to water much. haha silly me. Cheesy
::if you want to criticize someone,first walk a mile in thier shoes. that way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away from them, and you have thier shoes::
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookooz2002

your jealous because my cereal only talks to me!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2004 11:06:15 AM »

OMG  Cheesy Cheesy Thank you for this!!!!! im so excited.. a friend paid $20 for her topsy turvey planter now I can make my own.
Do I have to cover the bottle w/ the burlap ?
also how do you get the plant thru the 2 liter bottle neck etc ??
or am I missing something ?
kat
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Girlinsoop

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2004 11:34:45 AM »

Thanks for the replies!
I bight a plant that was already sprouted, but if you start early enough, you can sprout one yourself....I think I will post a tute with pictures lateron...Its kinda hard to explain...stay tuned!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
incuash
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2004 03:57:10 PM »

I LOVE this, but how do you water it???  and have you had problems with soil spilling out?  I have a little apartment with no patio, and I can't stand living without fresh veggies anymore!  (my mom always has a HUGE garden)  I'm hoping I could work something out or build something so I can grow them by my upstairs window.  any advice?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a thing of beauty is a joy forever.
Girlinsoop

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2004 07:21:14 PM »

Y'all are so nice! So here is my first attempt at a tutorial....Hopeful ly this will help with some of the questions...
Take any plastic bottle, clean it out and cut off the bottom. The hanging part is where you would have to be creative. I made a "sock" type of thing out of burlap, but that was just to make it pretty. Otherwise, just some holes and a sturdy rope would work just fine.
Once you have figured out and made how you are going to hang it, fill the bottle in the following order:
Poke the tomato plant sprout through the opening of the bottle, so that the sprout is sticking out
Throw in a small amount of small pebbles, (this will help to keep the soil in the bottle while you are watering.
Next, fill the bottle the rest of the way with soil
Throw in some water (tomatoes need A LOT of water) and hang in a sunny spt.
Here is a very elaborate and scientifically correct diagram (yea, right)

I had a potted tomato plant that sat on the gound under the hanging one, so when you watered one, it drained onto the other.
Some hints:
*Chooose your plants wisely....There are like a bazillion types of tomatoes, so you need to find one that bears relativly small fruit, like cherry tomatoes.
*I chose burlap becuase it is very sturdy and it hides dirt!

Next year I am going to try small chili peppers!

Happy planting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Comb Paint to Make Patterns
Handcrafted Cards Using Cookie Cutter Stencils
How to Make An Oversized Ironing Board
How to Use Preserved Roses
How to Use a Bouquet Holder
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...