A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,057
Currently Running With Scissors:
603 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: removing paint from tiles?  (Read 16740 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Graceful

monkey see monkey do

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2005 11:35:49 PM »

first of all, let me start off by saying i have no idea how this might go or even if its possible, but i'll ask

The owner my flat previously painted over the tile in the kitchen & in the bath... fine for them, btu now its starting to peel off in certain places, and in the kitchen they only painted the visible sections (which means the fridge and other appliances have to stay in certain spots or you see the difference).

I want to know, can i remove this overcoat of paint without too much hassle (ie physical work... no trouble in applying a chemichal layer and waiting for a day to scrape it off) and expense (in which case i'd just rip it all and replace w/cheap tiles.

Suggestions?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2005 05:49:01 PM »

Hi Graceful --

Are they 'glazed ceramic' tiles, with grout in between? And, do you happen to know what kind of paint was used (i.e., waterbased, such as latex or acrylic, or oil-based?)

Not sure what's available in Italy, but in the US there 'are' a few dried-paint removers that should work pretty well/pretty fast, and aren't hideously expensive --
but which kind you'd need to buy might depend on what kind of paint was used. (I've only used the kind for waterbased paint before).

One possible problem though ...
I can kinda see paint being fairly-easily removable from glazed ceramic tiles-- whether with oh say just a plain ole straight-razor-blade (like you'd use on window glass) or with some type of commercial leave-on remover gel/paste/liquid/etc...
but I'm really unsure about anything being able to remove paint 'completely' from 'grout.'
I'm thinkin there might always be some sort of color-shadow left there?
I mean, you knowww what a pain grout can be merely to keep clean & bright, right --- which hmmm now that I think of it, miiight possibly be why the other tenant painted in the first place ... ?!

[[btw I dunno about there but in the US, it'd probly be legal for a landlord to 'shoot' a tenant who painted tiled walls in two rooms! Unlessss mayyyybe the tile grouting was so incredibly filthy/ scummy/ mildewed/ etc etc that the 'tenant' could legally shoot the 'landlord' if he/she didn't either fix it or replace it or at least allow painting over it ... lolol]]

But anyway...
Especially if you decide to buy a remover, you'd probably want to start with just a little (unless it's returnable/refundable) & test it out mainly on some grout first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Graceful

monkey see monkey do

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2005 07:01:45 PM »

i knwo that there is only a special type of paint that can be used on tiles (others won't stick), but i'm not sure what type of paint that is. Huh Huh Huh anyone else have any ideas
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2005 08:17:32 AM »

~~Wellll... obviously whatever the original painter used didn't stick all that well either, right?!
However, as noted in the website info below, that might partly be because he or she didn't 'prep' or 'prime' properly.

~~Yes there is such a thing as ceramic paint -- specifically "ceramic acrylic enamel," I believe; it 'is' waterbase, but I'm not sure if it's intended for glazed or UNglazed ceramic.
I'm also guessing it's more expensive than regular acrylic or latex waterbase paint because it's "special-purpose." That's why I suggested using regular paint.
But then again, "IF" it could be used "without" the extra expense/time/effort of a primer coat as suggested in the info below... any extra cost of the ceramic acrylic enamel paint  might be worth it to you.

[[ btw... re 'removing' paint from tile: I stumbled across a paint-remover product sold online called "Peel Away 7"
http://www.paintremoval.com/Qstore/c000003.htm
which says it can indeed be used for removing paint from ceramic tile. Seems pretty pricey to me (about $28 for 1 quart...less per unit if you buy a coupla 1000 bucks' worth...lol!).
But anyway, I'm thinking that if you go to a home improvement or hardware store & read the labels on a few different types of paint removers, you might possibly run across one that says the same thing.
Alas, however, seems all the other tile-paint-removing recommendations online involve physically "scraping" it off, which I believe is something you said you didn't care to do. ]]]

~~The tile *painting* info below -- from an about.com website link -- is presumably for tile which *hasn't* already been painted, but it sounds like good advice if/when you're able to get the existing paint off :::

Before we get into this you need to understand that adhesion is not the problem --
you have to keep in mind that the finished product is only as durable as the paint film itself.
For example: Your automobile has one of the toughest finishes available, but you would not go sliding a can of green beans across the hood without expecting damage.
Expect the same results from the paint on your ceramic tile. If you exercise a little care and common sense, the finish will give you years of satisfactory service.
Avoid harsh cleansers (Soft Scrub works great), and, a coat of paste wax once a year or so will do wonders for protecting your finish.

First, wash the surface to with a 50/50 solution of household ammonia and water to remove soap film from bathroom surfaces or grease from kitchen walls.
Also recommended: wash with a mild acid solution which is used to clean ceramic tile of excessive grout. This can be found in the tile section of most home centers, hardware stores, and tile distributors.   Rinse well with plain water, and let the surface dry thoroughly.

Next, prime it with a high-quality adhesion-promoting primer like Zinsser's latex-based Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer-Sealer.
Bulls Eye 1-2-3 adheres tenaciously to ceramic tile, glass, and other hard-to-stick-to materials. The primer provides an "anchor" for the topcoat so it won't get rubbed, chipped or scraped off easily.
If the area is going to be subjected to a lot of water such as the tile in the tub area, use Zinsser's BIN -- an alcohol-base primer -- for maximum durability.

Follow the primer with one or two coats of a high-quality finish paint.
In moisture-prone areas, alkyd (oil base) paints are preferred, as they provide a harder finish than water-base paints and are more washable and durable.
There are also several epoxy coatings that are excellent for durability; check with your local paint store for availability.

If you want to paint the grout a contrasting color, you can go back over it with an artist's brush.

Your finished project will be fully cured in appx 2-3 weeks and you should avoid harsh abrasive cleaning agents; Soft Scrub is a good general cleaner for painted surfaces.

Zinsser's Bulls Eye 1-2-3 Primer-Sealer & BIN can be found paint stores, hardware stores, and home centers across the country. For more information, visit Zinsser's web site:
http://www.zinsser.com/

THIS ROCKS   Logged
islandhome
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005 08:35:21 AM »

Ayn, thank you for the information on painting tile.  I've been wanting to paint the tile in our bathroom for a while, this has given me the inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ayn
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005 06:43:45 AM »

Hi, islandhome -- glad it helped you.  There's probably more info online than what I posted -- if I were you I think I'd try a websearch & see what else I could find.
Personally, I think I'd almost rather tear out tiles than paint 'em, lol.
Never tried it myself, but have tried painting stained-wood kitchen cabinets that had been finished with a rather slick-shiny clear coat of something.
The project wasn't exactly cheap, by any means, & the work took what felt like forever, what with the everlastin 'prep' work then the coats of Zinsser & coats of best-quality acrylic with all the 'waiting' in-between --- not to mention 'afterward' having to be very careful when cleaning the cabinets (and of course being careful what I cleaned them with).  And the stupid things *still* started chipping and peeling within half a year...!
« Last Edit: December 27, 2005 06:46:20 AM by Ayn » THIS ROCKS   Logged
islandhome
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2005 07:16:35 AM »

Yikes...that sounds like a terrible time...and the work didn't hold up Sad  I'll let you know about how the tiles turn out.  Probably won't start until after the New Year tho
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tintin Under the Hammer and More Art Stories
Vogue Weddings - Artist Happy Menocal
Artist Uses Mouth to Paint
Art of VIBE: How & Nosm Go From Tagging Trains to 4-Story Buildings
Glen Berger Tells The Back Story of Spider-Man: Turn Off The Dark
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...