A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,593
Currently Running With Scissors:
773 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Can I salvage this?  (Read 660 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sunnyb64

free as a bird...it's the next best thing to be

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2005 07:17:52 PM »

Awhile back, I had the idea to compile a book with quotes I like from books, movies, whatever. I wanted a hardcover, and I don't have the slightest clue when it comes to bookbinding, so I ended up getting a hardback from the thrift store, and I've been painting over the pages with acrylic paint to hide the text and writing the quotes in. It seemed to work pretty well for awhile, but I guess it was an older book because the binding is coming loose now. The front cover is only held to the rest of it by a strip of this meshy-looking stuff, and several of the pages are beginning to tear out (and are opening much flatter than they used to, so it looks like I missed a reeeeeeally big spot in the cracks.) I put some glue over where I could reach to attempt to hold it in, but is there anything else I can do about this? I'd really prefer not to start over because I have well over 90 pages painted/written on and it's all handwritten. (Also, if rebinding it somehow is my only option, I'll need a link to a rather detailed tutorial, because I've never done anything like this before.) Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mew
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005 04:39:52 PM »

Not wanting to be a bearer of bad news, but...

I'd find a way to preserve what you have now.
If the pages are falling out of their bindings, that means that the signatures are falling apart; the tape holding the text block together isn't flexible anymore and cracking... Unless someone has some real experience restoring/mending books, it's probably a lost cause.

So how about thinking of ways of keeping what you have now safe?

If you deliberately cut out all your treasured pages...You could probably
a) find a binder, fill it with those plastic pocket inserts and display those there, though finding a smaller (say A5 size) binder with similar sized sheets may be difficult.
b) mount them into a photo album/sketchbook
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Laney

You could be as hated as me if you only tried.

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006 02:40:12 PM »

It sounds like all that paint might have just put too much strain on the binding. Although you put a TON of work into it already, this is what I would do: Stop and save what you have (hopefully you also have back-up copies of your quotes.) Next, I'd find another hardcover book, and remember to really check out the binding to see how sturdy it is. If you're buying used books, you really have to be picky because most of the time, they've already been through hell. Then, I'd forget the whole painting thing. I've seen several good ideas for turning a hardcover book with text into a sketchbook (where you can write your quotes), so I'd do a search on this site for that. It should be under "Paper Crafts, Journal & Book Making" under "Reconstructed". Sorry I don't have a link, but I'm sure if you search you'll find something.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are people who have money
and there are people who are rich.
--Coco Chanel
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
From the Vogue Closet - How to Wear a Tuxedo Jacket
Vintage Bowles - Shopping at Porte De Clignancourt in Paris
Jeanius - Grace Givens on Blue and White Patterns
Vintage Bowles - Discovering Comme Des Garçons in Paris
Jeanius - Chloe Malle on Wearing Pop Over Shirts
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...