A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
372 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: post your favorite gift foods here!  (Read 7868 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

openwindow
« on: November 28, 2003 01:26:06 PM »

I have two that I'll be posting as soon as I get back home and get the recipes -- one for easy, easy microwave fudge and another for yummy graham cracker treats, both are great to give as gifts.  Post your other holiday gift food ideas here!!

Sharon
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SassetteOPants

Equal parts sugar and salt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2003 07:08:47 PM »

I'm making lots of cocoa rum balls...mmmmm.....but instead of using plain rum, I'm using orange and raspberry rum.

I can't find ye olde family recipe (I just moved and I think it's packed away still), but here is a similar one:

In a large bowl stir together: 1 c. finely chopped pecans 1 c. confectioners sugar 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa 1/3 c. light or dark rum 1 c. Karo light or dark corn syrup

Stir vanilla wafer crumbs, pecans, confectioners sugar and unsweetened cocoa. Stir in light or dark rum and Karo light or dark corn syrup until well blended. Shape into 1 inch balls. Roll in 1/2 cup confectioners sugar. Store in tightly covered container. Makes about 4 1/2 dozen.

Is it possible to tint confectioners sugar?  If so, I think I'll make the raspberry balls pink and the orange ones...well, orange Tongue

THIS ROCKS   Logged

...so believe when I say Im no better than you, except when I craft so I guess it aint true.

Insinuendos.etsy.com
crankybat
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2003 10:39:58 PM »

Mmm... cocoa rum balls... heh.  I always make bunches of those - my other 2 favorites are fruited banana bread (usually in mini loaves) and cream cheese mints.

Banana Bread:
Mix together 1 cup sugar, 1/2 cup softened margarine, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt, 3 very ripe mashed bananas, 2 cups flour, and 2 eggs.  Fold in some chopped dried fruit - I like it pretty fruity, so I use 1 cup, and make it a mix of pineapple, apricot, papaya, and mango.  Pour into loaf pans and bake @ 350;  large loaves take about 1 hr 15 min, minis should be checked after 40 minutes.  After they're completely cooled, wrap them in cellophane and let them sit overnight before slicing.

Cream Cheese Mints:
Combine 8oz pkg cream cheese and 1/2 cup soft butter in a heavy saucepan.  Stir over low heat until everything is melted and well-combined.  Stir in 2 lbs confectioners' sugar.  Add a few drops of food coloring (red, green, or yellow) and 1/2 tsp mint extract.  Roll into 1" balls, place on sheet of waxed paper, and press with a fork or small cookie stamp to form a design on top and flatten a bit.  Let stand uncovered overnight, until mints are dry and firm outside but still creamy and moist inside.  Then try not to eat them all.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Anu
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2003 05:02:13 AM »

Those mints sound Yum!  Do they need to be refrigerated?

cheers,

Anu
THIS ROCKS   Logged
EmilyFlew
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

..sweets4ever is so rad..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2003 12:00:21 PM »

I've been looking for good food gifts--rum balls sound perfect!

When I was growing up in Texas, we always made spiced pecans. They keep well and look pretty in gift boxes.  Cheesy

Here's a recipe that looks similar to what I've used. http://christmas.allrecipes.com/az/SpicdPcns.asp
They're also good with less sugar and with chili powder, cumin, and a teeny bit of cayenne pepper instead of the other spices, for spicy pecans. You'd have to play with the proportions of the spices until you like the taste.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

technocutie, handmade iPod cases and felt accoutrements
thoughts and days.

I <3 the mod squad ladies!
crankybat
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2003 10:08:21 PM »

Those mints sound Yum!  Do they need to be refrigerated?

I do refrigerate mine, if I end up keeping a lot of them - heh - if they're going to be eaten up within a week or so (say, if you split them up amongst a good number of recipients), then I'd say no.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
openwindow
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2003 07:44:11 PM »

Ok -- I started this stinkin' thread, it's time for me to post mine.  Your recipes sound great and I can't wait to try them!

Toffee Graham Squares

1.  Preheat oven to 350

2.  Cover a baking pan with graham crackers

3.  Melt 1/4 lb. butter and 1/4 lb. margarine in a saucepan

4.  Add 1/2 cup sugar

5.  Stir until sugar melts, and boil 1 minute

6.  Pour mixture evenly over graham crackers

7.  Sprinkle with chopped nuts

8.  Bake for ten minutes and cool

It's yummy, but pretty bad for your diet.  When prepared correctly, the squares will be crunchy, not soft.

Ok -- easy easy microwave fudge (yes, microwave)

1 c. chocolate chips
1 c. peanut butter chips
14 oz can sweetened condensed milk
vanilla

Microwave on high 1 cup of peanut butter chips and 2/3 cup of the milk for 1:30, stir, and add 1/2 tsp. vanilla.   Pour this mixture into an 8x8 pan lined with wax paper.

Repeat the process with the rest of the milk and 1 cup choco chips and 1/2 tsp vanilla.  

Layer this on top of the peanut butter mixture and allow to set for 2 hours at least.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
binny
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2003 10:56:53 AM »

That microwave fudge sounds super yummy!

I don't know if it's my favorite yet because I haven't tried them, but this is what I'm going to make as a gift this year, cinnamon roasted almonds.

Last year I made three different types of truffles, peanut butter, peppermint and raspberry.  My favorites were the peanut butter ones.  They were super yummy and easier to make because I didn't dip the centers in chocolate but instead rolled them in chopped peanuts.  If anybody's interested, I can get the recipe.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crankybat
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2003 05:52:48 PM »

I'm definitely interested in the peanut butter ones - my boyfriend's sweet-tooth weakness is anything peanut butter, so that would be perfect.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
feelingleftout
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2003 08:24:37 PM »

3.  Melt 1/4 lb. butter and 1/4 lb. margarine in a saucepan

How many cups is 1/4 lb. butter and margarine? I can't do measurements in lbs. Well I can, but I don't want to get out the scale if I don't need to. Hehe. What does that convert to in kg?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Understanding Form Follows Function in Architecture
Timber Extension Project
Windows as Mediators
Understanding Form in Architecture
Understanding Scale in Architecture
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...