A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 306,076
Currently Running With Scissors:
307 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tons & tons of empty water gallon jugs!! Help.  (Read 1522 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Laney

You could be as hated as me if you only tried.

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2005 11:24:15 AM »

For right now, I live right next to the ocean. Literally. You could walk about 50 steps or less and you're there on the beach. Now, that's great and all, but it really sucks when it comes to drinking the tap water. It has too high of a sodium content (from the salt from the ocean) to drink. So.... we must buy gallons of water and I have TONS OF THEM!

What should I do with them? I know I could recycle them, but eh, where's the fun in that? I was hoping for a more creative recycling approach.... any ideas? Thanks a million (which is almost how many jugs I have   Cheesy  )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There are people who have money
and there are people who are rich.
--Coco Chanel
mysteryschool

Awww.. little mamas loves stinky shoes!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005 12:01:31 PM »

I'm not sure what to do with them, but we have bad water, too. We have a 3 gallon jug that we fill at the water machine at the grocery store. That way we don't have to buy all of that plastic and it costs less for our water. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laney

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005 12:05:28 PM »

That's a good idea. But our grocery store doesn't have anything like that.

Now I kinda feel bad for having to buy more plastic to drink water.  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--Coco Chanel
mysteryschool

Awww.. little mamas loves stinky shoes!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005 02:32:55 PM »

Oh! Don't feel bad. Smiley I don't want anyone to feel bad! I am surprised that you don't have something like that-even when I lived in a small town of 2, 500 people they had one of those machines. It is really good that you are not throwing them away.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Laney

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2005 12:10:11 PM »

Heh... I moved from a town of about 2500 to an even smaller town... which I can hardly believe exists these days.  Cheesy It's a temporary situation and I'm just dying to get out. The grocery store here doesn't even carry a lot of common, every day items because it's so small.   Roll Eyes

But, either way, I won't throw them out. I wouldn't be able to stomach it. So, they'll get recycled or I'll come up with some other way to re-use them. Thanks for trying to help anyway. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--Coco Chanel
xgreyoutx
[batteries not included]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2005 06:31:44 AM »

Oh man, those things are craaaaaaaaazy useful. Here's a bunch of ideas to get you going.

Make a bird feeder. Cut a hole in two or three sides of the jug. The holes should be 2 or 4 inches in diameter, depending on the type of birds you want to attract. For perches, make smaller holes below the feeding holes. Push wooden dowel rods through the holes so they poke through the opposite side. Fill the feeder with seed to weigh it down,  then top the sand with bird feed and hang from a nearby tree. You may want to poke a few small holes in the bottom for rainwater drainage.

Cut the bottoms off and use them as plant saucers.

Make luminaries by cutting off the top of the jug, filling the bottom with 2 or 3 inches of sand, then placing a votive candle in the sand. Line a walkway or garden path with the lights.

Organize the refrigerator. Cut the tops off several plastic jugs and use the bases to conveniently store grapes, kiwis, pear tomatoes, cheese, lunch meats and other small items in the fridge. Make shorter containers for the storage drawers and trays. Works for other drawers as well!

Cut the bottom from a plastic jug just under the handle, and use the top part as a funnel for liquids, powdered dry goods, flour and more.  Leave the cap on (tightly) and you've got a scoop!

Cut a large hole (big enough to put your hand through) in the top corner opposite the handle, and use them to store things in, such as craft odds and ends, votive candles, or anything else smallish.

They're also great for storage as they are. Wash them out (hot water and a little soap, cap, shake like hell, and rinse really really well), leave them upside-down to dry, and then use to store bulk dry goods. Better than plastic bags, and easy to pour.  Also works as a pitcher of you want to make a gallon of juice/tea/etc to keep on hand.

Loose change jar!  Just cut a slit in the top corner opposite the handle and feed your loose change in. When it's full, roll the change and put it aside! It adds up really fast, and makes a great "fun fund" to use towards vacations or goodies for yourself.

Don't forget to decorate them and jazz them up, so they aren't just plain ol' plastic jugs anymore! Paint, decoupage, markers, ribbons, whatever strikes your fancy.  And post pictures of what you decide to make! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

so rad, my grandmom wants my wardrobe
i hopped on the wist bandwagon
Laney

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2005 03:48:48 PM »

Oh wow. Thank you so much. I loved all your ideas and I definately have enough jugs to try all of them.  Cheesy
Thanks again!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--Coco Chanel
xgreyoutx
[batteries not included]

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005 08:13:00 PM »

My pleasure! Smiley
Definately post pictures of your projects!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

so rad, my grandmom wants my wardrobe
i hopped on the wist bandwagon
shampoorobot
ShaMpOOroBoT

i love to make tings.....

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006 11:18:05 PM »

hey, here's something i tried a couple of years ago...i cut the jugs up into a million disc shapes, punched holes, and then attached them to coat hangers with wire. ( i bent the coat hangers into circles ) one large circle and one small one. i just randomly attached them. i still have a ton more and i wanna make it bigger. i also wish i had painted the hangers before i put the jug circles on too. it looks better in person...http://web.mac.com/birdalupe/iWeb/Site/Library.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Barbra
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2006 11:54:32 AM »

How many is "tons and tons"? As many as THIS?Huh?

http://domestikgoddess.blogspot.com/2006/04/karinas-castle-playhouse.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
July 27, 2016 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Making Pom Poms
Your Dog Oughta Be In Pictures

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...