A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 303,159
Currently Running With Scissors:
446 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Handmade soap mold?  (Read 896 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world.

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2005 11:13:42 AM »

I have a really interesting idea for a mold, but I can't find anything even close to what I want.  Cry

Is there a way that I could maybe make my own?  I would have no idea what sort of material would be appropriate.  Has anybody tried this?  I'd really appreciate any input anyone might have on this.

Kindness isn't dead.  Promise.

R.I.P. Brett (1982-2007)
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2005 08:24:55 AM »

Hi Leylia -- unfortunately I'm not a soapmaker myself, but at least I can try to 'bump this up' a bit in case some soapmakers have ideas about or experiences with making molds.

Of course I don't know what exactly you want to make... but, apparently at one time there used to be (maybe still is?) a kit you could buy to form your own mold over another object.  Have no idea re cost, but you might try checking one of the fairly large chain crafts places such as Michael's, or maybe even Walmart's crafts section.

~~ I've noticed that 'metal' soap molds are sold -- usually plain straight-side tube shape, but some have the side bent into some appropriate shape, such as a star for example.
Depending on what you're trying to make... at a DIY home improvement store, for example, it's possible you could find some sort smooth/shiny finished, easily-shaped/sealed sheet metal to experiment with.

~~ Or, if you think you could cut up something flat & more-flexible, it occurs to me that you might be able to use some of those new flexible silicone baking sheets or hot pads. If you can find reasonably inexpensive ones, of course -- some seem outrageously expensive to me.
But anyway, most of the silicone kitchen items I've seen are heat resistant to at least 500 degrees, if that matters or helps any.
~~ Just guessing here but I'd say whatever material you use, one thing you'd need to be sure of is that the mold is leakproof/waterproof & smooth on the inside.

~~ Some ideas for other things to use besides strictly-soap molds & for making your own at this site:

~~ And this one has pretty-detailed instructions for making, lining, using a simple basic mold out of wood; for a different shape, maybe you could adapt the plans or the general idea :

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2005 08:44:14 AM »

Here is what I use with my polymer clay:

You mix it in a one-to-one ratio and then mold it around an object. A little while later you pull it off and have a nice reusable mold. I have carved objects out of chunks of plaster to make custom items. And it mentions soaps so

Good Luck!

145 dependents and counting=
139 dolls, 3 cats, 1 lost Hubby & Roland!
Preppin' for Ro's 3rd Bday- theme=Helicoptors!
http://www.adoptionsbygladney.com (Thank you!)

Given enough coffee, I could rule the world.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005 12:55:18 PM »

Those are awesome ideas!  Thank you guys so much!

Kindness isn't dead.  Promise.

R.I.P. Brett (1982-2007)
Head Nerd at Nyxia's Lair

~It is we who make our destiny, not the stars~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2005 12:52:04 PM »

You could also pick up one of the silicone kits like this one on ebay:

they let you make silicone molds from just about anything!
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005 07:03:21 AM »

Hi all ...
Lylyfai & amareluna:
thanks! those are very much like the kind of 'molding-substance' I was talking about For some odd reason, when I first posted I just couldn't remember what 'substance' was in the kits they used to have -- or maybe still do -- at big crafts stores like Michael's, etc. 
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2005 07:07:44 AM »

I have used the silicone "mold builder" to make a few soap molds before.  They worked great.  My dad wanted to make rock soap from some amethyst crystal slabs he had, so we painted them with mold builder in several layers.  They held great, and the saops were a big hit.  One thing I did find, though was that they wouldn't sit level.  I fixed that problem by filling a cake pan with sand and using it to pack around the molds.  It made it much easier to fill them.

If I could pick one word to describe myself, it would probably be Fluffy Puff Marshamallows... or Homestar. Either one, really.  They both fit.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play Blackjack
Understanding Craps Terminology
Basketball Handicapping Bets
Learn to Play Craps
How to Make Money at Slots
Latest Blog Articles
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations
Craft Challenge #110 Announced - Halloween Costume Contest!
Tute Tuesday: Witch Hat Fascinator

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...