A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
645 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I wanna make this sailor-esque dress!  (Read 3021 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mutatedkiwi
Queen of big ideas that never get done

I'm a kitty cat! MROW!

View Profile
« on: December 21, 2005 07:19:39 AM »

I am in love with this dress and I want it for 8th grade prom; I first met the dress at Trash and Vaudeville in Manhattan (I live in NYC). It looked fantastic on me--I looked amazing--one problem: It was a size too small. So, I started searching all over the internet, desparately looking for a place that would have the dress in the color and size I wanted. At last, I found guys & dolls vintage, which is where this picture comes from.

It costs $99 on this website but my mom thinks that's too much (Come on, it's MS prom!!). So, I figured that I would have to make it. I...just don't know how. Could you help me? (If there was a way I could do this without having to purchase a pattern--as my mom thinks I'm not experienced enough of a sewer, even though I'll hopefully get better in time to make the dress--I'd love to know!)

((a few things you might not be able to see:
There's a zipper closure in back.
The skirt is definitely not a circle skirt.
You know the black trim along the bottom and on the waist? Well, it's at the top as well.))
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"'Oh sweet Jesus, a boob! She's making a BOOB!!!'" --InkFaery
"'Somebody's drawn a rabid fish in my book! Aaaah! It's got teeth! It just appeared!!'" --Nushybum
creativehomemaker
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2005 11:58:59 AM »

It is really hard to tell where the dress lines are because it is on a black background.  You said your sewing skills aren't great, what (if anything) have you sewn before?  What kind of material is this dress made from?  Sometimes it is just as expensive to make it yourself if the material is expensive.  My best suggestion is to find a really cheap white skirt with a matching white shirt and altering it from there to create the look.  The black fabric with be your connecting piece and also trim to tie it all together.   You could trace a skirt and shirt/dress you already own for a pattern, making sure you have a seam allowance.  Just from what I can see it is best to consider it a halter top with a shirt that are sewn together rather than a dress.  There is also the drape method where you wrap the fabric around you and hopes to figure out how to cut and sew it, but I've never had any success with this method.
Hope this helps.
Angie
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mutatedkiwi
Queen of big ideas that never get done

I'm a kitty cat! MROW!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005 01:42:58 PM »

It is really hard to tell where the dress lines are because it is on a black background.  You said your sewing skills aren't great, what (if anything) have you sewn before?  What kind of material is this dress made from? 
Well, the fabric is light blue seersucker (blue/white stripes!!)
 and my most recent sewing project is here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=69061.0
I think I'm pretty good, actually, but this is only my second project and I have no sewing machine, and this all shows that I'm relatively inexperienced. We should be getting a sewing machine after christmas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"'Oh sweet Jesus, a boob! She's making a BOOB!!!'" --InkFaery
"'Somebody's drawn a rabid fish in my book! Aaaah! It's got teeth! It just appeared!!'" --Nushybum
creativehomemaker
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2005 04:21:27 AM »

Well if you buy material I'd say you need at least 2 1/2 yds of the seersuck and 1/2 yard of the navy blue/black, although that depends on your size and length of dress you want.  You'd probably want extra to play around with so go with 3 yards seersuck and 1 yard navy blue/black.  You will also need three red buttons and iron-on red stars.  I'm not sure where you can get your fabric, but I'm guessing the overall cost of making it yourself would be about $50, $60 if you buy a pattern. 

I'd suggest Simlicity's 4531 Pattern
http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?cat=1&type=1&sec=1&id=1&startrow=1

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2006 11:25:23 AM »

I can't see the piccy Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
loreleiariadne
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006 12:29:14 PM »

I think this is the one.  I went looking b/c I couldn't see it either.

If you'll be hand-sewing all this, WOW!  Good luck & mucho patience!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

glitter is the herpes of crafts. once it gets on you, it never goes away!
Randommarble

My cat Marble. Make a nice fur coat?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2006 08:45:15 AM »

That's v. cool.

mutatedkiwi : have you got a machine yet? It looks as though it is princess lined on the top. The upperband I would do a little like a waistband (if you that explaining please ask. It also looks like the 'band' at the bottom is actually an underskirt as it hangs apart from the seersucker. You could ignore this and just make it as a band if the seersucker is not too thin. It may be worth putting a little plastic boning in the top to help it stay up. I guess you will have a better idea as you have actually seen it and tried it on. If you need any more help then just ask.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember: To the world you might be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

See my website for my products (will post to anywhere in UK at cost of postage and packaging). It is a little out of date due to a server crash. Please email me if you want a custom order
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Get A Defined Nude Lip
How To Make Lipstick Last All Day
Getting Rid Of Puffiness And Circles Under The Eyes
How To Protect And Youthen Your Skin
Three Tricks For Curling Your Lashes
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...