A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,480
Currently Running With Scissors:
397 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: i ruined my bag's bottom (with 10 small pics)  (Read 1763 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dia
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« on: December 20, 2005 10:36:58 PM »

hiya,

i saw a cute leather bag in a mag n thought of giving it a try. i took about three days to get started. it all went fine.... here's the front, made of black (slightly pebbled) vinyl. i machine stitched a flower in the front.

the back with a zipper pocket...

the top...

the zipper end...

the zipper sides...

the lining...

the detail...

this is the most bad part, the ruined bottom  Cry

so i thought of covering it with a cloth padding...

i was so disheartened, that i swore not to make bags for a whole week (my bro n sis were very happy at my decision). i thought of giving it to my sis-in-law but now i don't wish to give this spoiled bag to her. what do u guys think? is it worth giving as a present.

thnks for lookin.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you are feeling stressed and about to breakdown, just remember: STRESSED is just DESSERTS spelled backwards... Its a piece of cake!
starberrii
Silly banana

Wacky Alpacy

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005 11:17:57 PM »

I think the bag is gorgeous, and with the cloth covered bottom you can't tell there are any problems in the photo. I wouldn't have any problems giving it away...if I could bear to part with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

qazicat
Qazicat

Just not enough hours in the day to do craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2005 12:42:37 AM »

I would hand stitch the cloth pad to the lining,  and then you will never know that was a problem.  Besides there is no such thing as ruining something you have crafted,  they are just design opportunities. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Qazicat Designhttp://www.netspeed.com.au/qazicat/

My Wists - http://www.wists.com/qazicat

I am willing to do personal swaps for ATCs
garyn
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2005 04:03:52 AM »

i agree with qazicat. my first thought was hand stitch it in.

it is really beautiful. i think it looks really professional.

great job
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrZyGrL
<maybe you should kiss someone nice, or lick a rock, or both>

everybody scream your heart out

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2005 04:06:35 AM »

OMG! that is great, what is wrong w/ the bottom! I see NOTHING wrong with that masterpiece! i think that your sister in law is very lucky to have you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

but this is all i really want, just to be loved-- all this trash is in my head i got to throw it away
{what if i wanted to break, laugh it all off in your face}
smoon26
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005 05:52:41 AM »

I always put bottoms in my bags...Covered with matching or contrasting fabric.  It covers the stitching on the bottom of the lining (so I can machine stitch the opening closed instead of handstitching=which I HATE), and it also helps to hold the lining down a bit, making it look smoother. 

Nothing wrong with that at all!  If you had leather left over, and could make it out of that, that would look nice, and would make it easier to keep the bottom of the bag clean.  or the matching fabric blends right in.

It really looks awesome, BTW.  I would be very proud to give it to someone if I were you.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Digital Goddess
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2005 10:36:31 AM »

Yep, dont give this bag to your sister in law.  You can however send it to ME!   Wink  Its awesome, if she doesn't love it, shes nutso!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

msmeow
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2005 11:02:07 AM »

It's not ruined at all!  Lots of bag patterns call for making an insertable cardboard covered bottom.  Just take the emasurements for the bottom, sew up a sleeve and close it.  Then you can put it in the bottom so the bags is nice and sturdy and can stand on its own.  You meant to do that, right? Wink
Give it to her--it's fabulous! Your sis-in-law should be flattered you spent so much time and effort on a gift for her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dia
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2005 06:52:57 AM »

geez, thanks for the suggestions gurls.

i heart it too starberrii, so now i plan to keep it and make her another Grin.

i will hand stitch it to the lining right away, thanks garyn n qazicat.

OMG! that is great, what is wrong w/ the bottom! I see NOTHING wrong with that masterpiece! i think that your sister in law is very lucky to have you!

that's a really gr8 compliment, thanks Cheesy.

smoon - i was worried that the seams were visible on the inside. that made me real mad. so i used a cloth-covered bottom (machine stitched it closed).  i would replace it with a leather one for a clean lookin bottom. thanks for the suggestion pal Smiley.

Goddess - thnks, i know she would definately luv it but the problem is the zipper pull comes at the back, i mean when u wear it on ur right shoulder the zipper comes at the back, what if someone opens it and takes something out!! she would hate this. another prob that she never wears her bag on the left (it keeps slipping off). so now i planned to keep it and make her another, not this one as it was hard time sewing it, i might make her a skipping bag or one with a zipper top. she hearts zip-top bags.

It's not ruined at all!  Lots of bag patterns call for making an insertable cardboard covered bottom.  Just take the emasurements for the bottom, sew up a sleeve and close it.  Then you can put it in the bottom so the bags is nice and sturdy and can stand on its own.  You meant to do that, right? Wink
Give it to her--it's fabulous! Your sis-in-law should be flattered you spent so much time and effort on a gift for her.
thanks to u too. yes i did that but the other not-so-neat way Grin. could u plz tell when u remove the cardboard covered bottom from the bag, are the seams visible (just for info)? i haven't bought any bag of this sort yet. thanks.

p.s. u gurls r really wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you are feeling stressed and about to breakdown, just remember: STRESSED is just DESSERTS spelled backwards... Its a piece of cake!
stargirl

whatever it takes...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2005 07:38:03 PM »

i think your bag looks really good! flipping though the pictures i saw nothing "ruined", it looks great!

and yay!! for harry potter!! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Adobe Creative Suite 2 - How to Create a Text Wrap from the Photoshop Path
Adobe Creative Suite 2 - How to Draw a Runaround Path in the Original Photoshop File
Adobe Creative Suite 2 - How to Create a Grayscale Gradient with the Adjustment Layer
Adobe Creative Suite 2 - How to Import Into InDesign from Bridge and Color Setting
How to Do a Photoshop Facelift
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...