A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
661 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Rainbow Picture Mat  (Read 1573 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Nuraeariel

"Ow! Breadsticks!"

View Profile WWW
« on: June 27, 2009 02:20:44 PM »

At the risk of seeming like a one trick pony, I enjoyed making my rainbow table tiles so much that I wanted to do one more thing before I moved on.  Smiley

A friend of mine is in the process of moving and she is currently hitting a lot of really depressing setbacks and snags along the way.  She was also instrumental in helping donate catalogs for my table tiles so I wanted to make her something to cheer her up and to say thanks.  She's really into photography and is starting to experiment in modling herself so I made her a picture frame she can hang in her new house!

I used the same technique as I did with my collage tiles only this time it was a lot easier because I could use magazines and not just catalogs!  Smiley  I cut out small images for each color and glued them to the piece of mat that came with the picture frame.  This time though instead of abruptly changing colors, I wanted to see if I could make a more blended appearance so between each color is a small section of transitional colors.  This was a lot harder than I thought it would be because the mat is so much smaller than the paper I was previously using!  Overall though I think it turned out really well and I am going to be giving it to her today when she comes over.

It can be hung this way too.  Sorry it's a little blurry...  Hope she likes it!
And for those of you who want more info on how I did this or are wondering "why the heck is this chick talking about table tiles?" here is a link to my previous project that inspired this one: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=307597.0

THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Be the change you wish to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi**
longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2009 03:40:04 PM »

This is super. 

I loved your table tiles and was wondering what else could be done with this technique that was not such a large effort - and now you have given me the answer Smiley  Even though you say it is more challenging, it is more the scale of something I could see me doing
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissFlynn
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2009 03:43:31 PM »

Beautiful. I love that it's so vibrant and more interesting than your standard gradient rainbow. Love, love, love it.
When I stop being lazy, I might have to try this! Great way to recycle the piles of magazines we have laying around.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 MissFlynn

Hello, Monster on Etsy - Ferociously Cute Crochet
The Monster Blog
xerinnpx
Lover of Jell-O

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2009 03:52:30 PM »

You did a gorgeous job! The color changes are well done, I wouldn't have had the patience to find all of those colors!   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair.

Wist
My Blog
roccstarr75
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2009 04:42:11 PM »

Beautiful!  I, too, loved your table tiles, and this is just as spectacular.  I love it when rainbows blend into each other rather than abruptly change, like you said; you did a great job on the transitions!  totally bookmarking this for inspiration!

You didn't mention what you cut the squares out with, and I was thinking one of those square punches would be awesome for this.  I could keep it with me and when I find somethin I want, *punch*!  Also they come in various sizes so your squares could be any size you want, or even all different sizes if you have several of them!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009 04:44:18 PM by roccstarr75 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nuraeariel

"Ow! Breadsticks!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2009 08:59:21 PM »

You didn't mention what you cut the squares out with, and I was thinking one of those square punches would be awesome for this.  I could keep it with me and when I find somethin I want, *punch*!  Also they come in various sizes so your squares could be any size you want, or even all different sizes if you have several of them!

I just used regular scissors.  It's actually really easy to cut with scissors because then you can trim them to fit what you want or you can cut out a bigger swatch and trim it to size, but you could totally use a punch too.  Maybe even doing stars or circles would be neat too!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

***Be the change you wish to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi**
longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2009 09:24:05 PM »

Maybe even doing stars or circles would be neat too!  Smiley

Great idea -- I may have to try different punch shapes and see what effect it gives. Overlapping hearts might give an effect like the gingerbread on Victorian houses....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ellegal22
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009 09:39:13 AM »

This looks great! The way the colors flow into eachother is a great touch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2009 08:25:16 AM »

This is so cool.  I'm a rainbow freak, and I love the colors in this frame.  I've got to try this now.

Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What is the best camera for everyday shooting?
How much should I budget for a digital camera?
What is an SLR camera?
How many megapixels should my digital camera have?
What are some things I should look for when choosing a digital camera?
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...