A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,536
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: The Thanksgiving Turkey (and other goodies!) Thread  (Read 5062 times)
Tags for this thread: grill , barbeque  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Carly Caron

Hey this is my goat Millie!

View Profile WWW
« on: December 20, 2005 09:46:18 AM »

Shocked Shocked Shocked

My mom just called me and asked me to put the turkey in the oven for her...I don't know what I'm doing!! It's a whole turkey!

I took it out of the plastic and I took the giblets..(I think that's what they're called?) ...out of the front...(at least I think that was the front!)  Now I'm trying to take the plastic tie thing off of where the drums sticks are but it won't come off! Is there a special way to get it out?

I'd call my mom back but she's at work...

Yup I'm definately not going to get much school work done today! I'm also supposed to take in my sister's basketball shorts because they're like 80 million sizes to big for her and bah! Christmas is only in 5 days! Soooo behind in everything!  Undecided

Ok, I'm done rambling now. Please help me with this turkey battle! I don't even like turkey! I want to be a vegetarian!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If the world didn't suck a little bit, then we'd all fall off...

http://www.kurlie77.etsy.com/
Carly Caron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2005 10:10:52 AM »

Please, please, please help! I'm so desperate!  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Carly Caron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005 10:15:17 AM »

Is the plastic tie thing even supposed to come out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sammyb

Mmm... Bowie...

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005 10:18:19 AM »

Have you tried looking it up on foodtv.com?  They had a bunch of turkey-day themed shows around Thanksgiving, and I'm sure they'd have some sort of instruction.  Search for it on there, maybe.

Good Eats would probably have one (oh, Alton Brown...) or maybe Rachel Ray or someone.

Truthfully, every time I've made turkey, I've just done a turkey breast, or it's been cooked and then I just need to reheat.  Two people don't need an entire turkey, and we'd get sick of it long before it went away if frozen.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every time Olive Oyl flails her noodle-like arms in the air and cries for Popeye's help, a feminist angel gets her wings ripped off her back.  (courtesy of mental_floss.)
Carly Caron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005 10:24:14 AM »

I've been searching and searching but I can't find anything helpful.  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005 10:25:01 AM »

Every device used to truss turkeys that I have come across has required a great deal of wrestling or strong scizzors or pliers and sometimes cursing Smiley  
Once That's done rinse it out with fresh cold water, some pat dry with a clean cloth, then stuff the bird loosely with stuffing of choice I use skewers to "sew" the bird shut.  If you are not stuffing you may( if you want) season the inside of the bird with poultry seasoning or sage( your choice) and pepper.  Rub the skin with butter or oil, season again, place breast up in greased roasting pan add a little water not too much cause I always get a fair bit of water cooking out of the bird,cover,  roast at 325 F until done, I remove the cover before it is completely done (about 1/2 hour) to brown the skin  Test with thermometer look up that temp in cook book I can't remember off hand.  I test by the looseness of the drumstick.  Remember it is just a bird it is not allowed to get the better of you Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
penguino
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005 10:34:03 AM »

I am not sure the plastic thing supposed to come out.  I leave it on when I cook the turkey for thanksgiving.  It comes out ok.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Carly Caron

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005 10:45:15 AM »

Ok. I just called my grandmother and she says the stupid plastic thing has to come out.  Angry And it is going to come out!!!!!!!!! So hah!!!!!! I have decided that the turkey is still frozen inside so I'm going to take a shower and then I'm going to try and get the plastic thing out again... I'm hoping it'll be easier if the turkey is thawed a little more. I'll keep you posted on my progress!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Imdee
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005 01:18:24 PM »

Also there are probably giblets in the neck cavity as well as the main cavity.  Turkeys are intimidating, but they're pretty easy to cook.  Sometimes instructions come inside the wrapper.  The first time I cooked a turkey, my mom told me "make sure your sink is clean because the turkey will be spending some time in there."  The only way to rinse a big turkey is to just set it down in the sink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyanemcs
Crafty Hippy-Witch

Mmmmm. Crafts.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005 03:42:35 PM »

You can just cut the plastic thing off with scissors. I don't take it off until mine is done roasting, because it keeps everything nicely in place, but different strokes..

A turkey really is very easy to roast. Rinse the inside out & make sure there's nothing left inside (like the neck) & trinse the outside. Pat it dry with a paper towel.

Rub some vegetable oil on it (or butter) add some seasoning & put it in the oven. The label will tell you how long it needs to cook (it'll tell you by the weight, so you'll need to see how much it weighs). I usually baste mine with oil or butter about halfway through, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Banh Mi Sandwich
How to Make Chicken Biryani
How to Make Chicken Tikka Masala
How to Make Fried Rice
How to Make Mango Chutney
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...