A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,350
Currently Running With Scissors:
410 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: my germs  (Read 2848 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

shimmers
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2006 06:42:13 PM »

ooooooooo i love ur germ! i no a few friends who would go crazy for that!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snaggletooth
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2006 10:23:04 PM »

Make you a germy quilt to cover with whenever you get sick!

LadyCregga that is such a great idea and totally cracks me up!  Something I will definitely be considering.

MissMeshell can you tell any more about your virus/textile work?  It sounds like a very interesting topic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissMeshell
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2006 12:46:42 AM »

Okay well I get kinda mixed up when I try to explain in lol, even I don't know what I mean half the time so i'll try to keep it short and simple! Wink

I'm really into nostalgia right, and also traditional textile practices as well as traditional textiles related to the home (like old time upholstery and stuff) so I've got to the point that in my work I look at traditional textiles and things as kind of a stand in that talks about nostalgia, or they kind of symbolise nostalgia and that longing to get back to 'simple times' (making sense?...hopefully Tongue) or the homes of the past.

So, then i got to thinking about nostalgia being like a 'virus' that can consume a person, like if you look back to your past your future kind of runs away without you...unless it's just me that has this problem lol.

So what I do is I take things like medical equiptment and science stuff (like test tubes, petri dishes etc.) and I combine them with these old style textiles and processes like embroidery and stuff, to create 'virusey' looking works or installations that when you get up close to, are actually made from textiles. (Like if your germ was a bit of my work I'd probably somehow get it into a solution in a petri dish so it's like 'oh, thats a germ' but when you get up close it's an embroidered germ). I also experiment with growing mould and bacteria into vintage patterns and things like that too...

So I am so sorry if this makes no sense, but maybe you can kind of see why I love your germ Grin hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snaggletooth
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2006 10:57:12 PM »

MissMeshell your explanation makes perfect sense, that is such an interesting idea and execution, I completely understand what you mean about the nostalgia as a virus although I it had never occurred to me before.  I love the idea of the "scientific study" of nostalgia, and plus who doesn't love shopping for scientific supplies.  All those tiny jars and tubes?  I am guessing you are in art school?

I know how odd it can be to be asked to explain your work, seems like in undergrad we would have to do it every week, and every week I had a different answer, so thanks so much for posting that here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissMeshell
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2006 11:11:08 PM »

aw, no worries Wink
Oh yeah the science equipment buying is VERY fun, i'm like a little kid at Xmas, I order bulk off the internet and gigantic boxes get delivered to my house full of lab supplies! Then I remember I am not a doctor or scientist but just a strange girl playing with textiles and lab epuipment Tongue
and yeah i'm doing a bachelor of arts, my proplem with explaining my work is that I usually need a hundred million words to do it, so I'm very proud that I kept it to a minimum here for once! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Monkey Mask
How to Make a Frog Mask
How to Make Chinese Opera Masks
How to Make a Bird Mask
How to Make a Batman Mask
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Mother's Day Fridge Clip
Robin crafts! Hello spring!
I Scream, You Scream...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...