A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,724
Currently Running With Scissors:
454 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: *PICS* pirate handmade journal/diary! "whole-page bookbinding" TUTORIAL ADDED  (Read 20968 times)
Tags for this thread: book_binding , journal , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

danny_cruz
« on: December 19, 2005 06:23:19 PM »

ok, so x-mas is coming and i had to do something to my bf. actually i've already bought a book for him, but i wanted to give something special, something I did!
we live in Brasil and next January he's going to spend 1 month in new york Sad so i made him a diary, just like the ooooold pirates used to have when they went sailing and looking for treasures  Grin  I'm a little obsessed with pirates, and he likes them too Wink
The binding is a different way i learnt in college (I'm a graphic design student and we were making books) and i haven't seen it on craftster... it's cool 'cos you can use the whole page, pretty useful if you draw a lot!
feel free to ask me if you need a tutorial, I'd love to help you and make one.

no more talking, here are the pics!

AHOY, CAPTAIN! (did you ever played 'the secret of monkey island' ?)

voil!

i guess now you can understand the binding ...

that's all for now!
I'm sorry about the messy english
 Kiss
Danny Cruz

« Last Edit: December 20, 2005 04:20:11 PM by danny_cruz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Danny Cruz.
http://www.hyperactiverabbit.blogspot.com/
i now have a craft blog in english, yay! ^^
tinfoiltrees
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005 06:28:38 PM »

wow! this is really awesome! i would love you forever if you did a tutorial
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Prettyinpunk

Ooooh....swedishness.....0_o

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005 11:11:57 AM »

Beautiful! Loving the piratey theme also  Wink And your english isn't messy at all, its perfect   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KittyKurl
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005 11:16:38 AM »

I would love a tutorial , too! This would be perfect for binding a notebook or something. Since it's a full page. That looks really nice!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
Fabric Wists
danny_cruz
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005 04:19:10 PM »

ok, so here's the tutorial. i never thought it would be so hard to make a tutorial , hah! it's my first one.
maybe it's a little bit confused, feel free to ask me anything if you have any doubts!

here is what you'll need:

- a few pages for your book. choose whatever measurement you want, but double it because they should be folded in half!
- paper clips, you can find these at any paper craft store, or wherever. if you don't have these, you can use a strong friend/relative to hold it to you, hah.
- a kind of stick glue, i used Pritt. liquid glue can't get it right, i don't know why Sad .
- paper or fabric, to make the cover
- a different color paper to make a first page, you'll use it to protect the others
- cardboard. two pieces (half-centimeter bigger - on the width, and on the height - than the folded pages) for the cover and one small piece measuring half an inch of width to the middle.
- scissors and rule.

STEP 1 - glue it until you die!

put all the pages together, and put the paper clips on the FOLDED side. you'll start glueing the pages from the end to the beginning , so here's what it should looks like:

skip two pages. on the THIRD one you start glueing the left border... after that you'll skip one page and glue the next... again skip one and glue the next. do that until you get tired and your pages are done!

tip: to check if you're glueing the right pages, you can look at the folded side. if it's the folded page, you won't glue. if the pages are not the same, then it's the page you'll have to glue.
like this:

once you've finally finished, that's how it should look like:

got it? so, ok. let's go to the...

STEP 2: hard cover!

it's really easy, you can do that with fabric if you want to, it's basically the same way <a href="http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=10347.0"> alisonwonderland did here </a>
if you'll use fabric for the cover, you should use liquid glue on the protection pages, stick glue won't do it well.

cut the paper two inches longer than the cardboard, then fold it. you can put a piece of cover-paper covering the middle cardboard, 'cos that will appear when you open your book.

before:

after:

STEP 3: the end!

glue the different color paper to the first page of your book. do it to the last one. something like this:

now you'll align the folded side of your book to the middle cardboard part, and glue the back of the other part from the first page to the cardboard .
wow, i just can't explain it right, so here's a pic.

once you've glued the pages to the cover, TADA! it's finished.

I'm sorry, even I got upside down with this tutorial. it's a little bit hard to get the "binding" right on the first time, you'll glue the wrong pages and stuff. don't cry and keep on trying. it'll look beautiful when it's done, and pretty useful, i have a lot of these notebooks myself. ha!

Wink

Danny Cruz
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Danny Cruz.
http://www.hyperactiverabbit.blogspot.com/
i now have a craft blog in english, yay! ^^
paw
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2005 08:49:00 AM »

cool journal! Smiley

and thanks for the tutorial. i'll have to try this some time soon...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
KittyKurl
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2005 02:45:23 PM »

Is that tutorial to make a full page book?? like 8 1/2 by 11?? so if you were gonig to make a full page book , would you have to have a paper that is twice as big as 81/2 by11? i'm sorry if I don't really under stand, but i'm just wondering if the finished product is still the folded paper
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
Fabric Wists
cumber1137
Livin' to swap

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2005 07:34:37 AM »

ooh that's sooo cute. I want to make one! I wonder if we have spare paper around the house..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist --> http://www.wists.com/cumber1137

"Huzza for the tipper with the squished up boobs" - Luke from Gilmore Girls.
jets_to_july

less than three

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2005 04:40:29 PM »

Ah, such piratey goodness!! You did a very nice job on the journal!!  Cheesy  The tutorial is a tiny bit confusing, but it's still really good! I definetly have to make one of these journals sometime, because it's just so cute and awesome  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jackhinks
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2005 09:53:52 PM »

I've gotta try that! Awesome project!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Tie Dye Effects on Sweatshirts
How to Tie Dye Patterns
How to Dip Dye a Shirt
How to Do a History Collage
How to Create a Collage
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...