A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
749 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: man purse? man-ish enough?  (Read 1519 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

archer*of*loaf
Lip them

Audiowhore, sucking on sound

View Profile
« on: December 19, 2005 06:09:16 PM »

Sorry for the poor grammar, but I'm tired and I need some advice.

I have a friend who has been begging me to make him a man-purse (read: messenger bag) for a long, LONG time now.  I figured I'd give in and make him one for Christmas.  I've been putting this off for what seems like forever and I finally finished this tonight.

My question, however, is whether this bag is masculine enough for a big, burly (and quite gay) German man to carry around?

Take a look:

The bag itself
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5cc38b3127cce965ec980dac900000016108EZtXLVw3aG

A peek at the inside
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5cc38b3127cce965ece3c1bde00000015108EZtXLVw3aG

Detail of the outer fabric
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b5cc38b3127cce965ecd4cda0700000016108EZtXLVw3aG

He wanted corduroy but I couldn't find any that looked nice and I found this ribbed corduroy-like material to use instead.  The strap is extendable/adjustable to fit him.  Black ribbon detail on the flap.  Two magnetic snaps to keep the sucker closed.  The bag sits flat as there is a heavy plastic insert to keep the bottom from sagging when there's lots of stuff in it.  I'm just too beat to take the appropriate pictures tonight.

Whatcha think???  Will I offend him with this?  Too feminine???  Should I just keep it to give to a female friend of mine and start all over for this guy?

HELP!!!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011 10:37:33 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
floggingmolly
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2005 06:24:38 PM »

nice! thats a great looking bag but I do think it's pretty Feminine but that's just me. It all depends on how Manly the man you are giving it too is  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jesus saves, Gretzky scores. The workers slave, the rich get more, one wrong move and we risk the cup. so play the man, not the puck!
zitrone21

Ooh, I'm so blurry . . .

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2005 07:01:47 AM »

I think the colors might be a little feminine, but that could just be the picture.  Hard to tell sometimes.  But I think the shape and overall is fine for a man.  It's very bold and square, not curvy and slight like a more feminine purse would be.  My husband would carry it, but he'll walk around stores with my purse slung over his shoulder while I try stuff on or whatever, so I can't always judge too well by him  Tongue

You're the best judge of your friend, but I'm sure he'll be touched that you went to the trouble of making something special for him and will happily use his one of a kind man-bag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PurpleHeather
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2005 07:10:28 AM »

Big, burly (and quite gay) describes my housemate perfectly, andhe'd adore this.  not stereotyping at all, but if I were you I'd say to him that this is what you made for him, and if he likes it that's super, or if it's not his thing, maybe he can come fabric shopping with you to help you out?  What ever he says, it's a nice bag Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

archer*of*loaf
Lip them

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2005 07:19:13 AM »

Thanks, you guys!  I brought the bag in to work with me just to get my coworkers opinions on it.  My friend works with us and they all know him pretty well.  Everyone seems to think that he'd like it, but I guess I'm just paranoid. 

I think the photos I posted wash the colors out a bit.  The stripes are actually a lot darker and the purple is dark...royal, even.

I really, really appreciate the input from all of you.  It helps me to relax a bit about this bag.  I don't know if I'll have time to make another one anyway. 

Yay for procrastination!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

And hoping for an early death you swam so far you lost your breath, and struggling in the ebb and flow I took your hand, but you let go...
And now the ocean fills your lungs, and now you've got what you had come for, resting peaceful as you sink to drown under a sea of strangers.

-E. Bachmann
thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2005 09:28:00 AM »

I don't think it would offend him.  It's a beautiful bag and I don't think it's overly feminine or masculine, it's kind of unisex Wink
Also when someone asks for a bag if they don't specify exactly what colours they want and stuff then they kind of have to take whatever they get, right?  People always ask me for bags and then don't say what colours they want.  They say they don't care.  Tongue  I used to get stressed over making  just the right thing, but now I don't care...I just make whatever looks nice and hope for the best.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://zomboid.com
My website, newly redesigned as of 9-2010! ^_^

http://facebook.com/heycookie
Yes, I have one of those, too. ^^;
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2005 10:00:03 AM »

Ugh, stressed is not the word.  I'm terrified to give this to him, but knowing him the way I do, I'm sure he'll be gracious and at least tell me he loves it.

Thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-E. Bachmann
msmeow
« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2005 10:29:52 AM »

I think the bag looks really good, very professional.  If your friend has been begging you for a bag, he will like it.  Sometimes, I think certain stencils on bags can "man" them up a bit.  Like bands or some gadget stenciled on the front could add that man feel.  And you could personalize it for him.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
archer*of*loaf
Lip them

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2005 11:26:03 AM »

Hmmm, good idea!  I'll have to think about that.  Thanks!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-E. Bachmann
urbanlatinfemale
Forum Avatars|MSN|AIM Icons

Suburban in the City

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2005 01:53:54 PM »

I found one in Guess? (the store) on sale (less than $40) .. it's brown corderoy, and has a manly leather buckle.. incase you keep the messenger all for your self (do it do it!)  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Coconut Cream Pie
How to Make White Frosting
How to Make Grown-Up Jellied Desserts
Hummingbird Cake Recipe
How to Make a Bunny Cake
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...